[Solved] The system randomly slows down after booting - OS X Lion 10.7.5 + OpenCore r0.6.4

shl628

7 posts in this topic

Hello.

I have an old Samsung Sens Q36 laptop and I have used Chameleon, Clover bootloader from the past.

Then, I replaced it with OpenCore's 32 Bit EFI bootloader, and the boot speed was slightly faster than the existing boot loader, so I am using OpenCore.

By the way, when using OpenCore, the system randomly runs noticeably slow after booting.
When viewing the launchpad and animation effects such as the Genie effect, such as maximizing and minimizing the window, work very slowly. (It means the system randomly runs at 1/2 speed.)

So, I tested while changing the following options among OpenCore's Quirks, but also randomly slows down.
- AppleCpuPmCfgLock
- DummyPowerManagement
- IgnoreInvalidFlexRatio

Kext also tried CPUi.kext and VoodooTSCSync.kext, but it didn't solve the problem.

Could it be caused by Intel Speed Step not working?

When using Clover, Speed Step is enabled by setting the ACPI - SSDT - Generate Options - Generate CStates & Pstates options to True.
And, OEM SSDT Tables related to CPU were not dropped and used as they are.

I used the static patched DSDT.aml for ACPI patch in OpenCore and recently changed all of them to SSDT Hot Patches.
SSDT-RTC.aml solves BIOS Reset problem after booting into Mac OS.

The RTC device of OEM DSDT uses _STA Method so that it works only in OS other than Mac OS, and the RTC0 device of Fake applied with RTC patch works only in Mac OS.

The installed Mac OS version is OS X Lion 10.7.5.
Also, Intel GMA 950 QE/CI graphics acceleration is enabled, and SMBIOS is set to MacBook 2,1 model.

If you have any suggestions or solutions to the problem of random system slowdown, please.

I have attached the EFI folder and the IOReg extracted in a slow system to this topic.

The OpenCore version used is r0.6.4.

I was contemplating whether to write this topic on the General Discussion board, but it was a question about the old specification and the old version of Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
If this topic becomes a problem, I'm sorry and delete it.

- Samsung Sens Q36 Laptop Specification -
CPU : Intel Merom Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83 GHz
Chipsets : Intel 945GM + ICH7-M
Graphics : Intel GMA 950
Memory : DDR2 PC2-5300 667 MHz 512 MB + 2 GB
Sound : Analog Devices SoundMAX AD1986a
Network : Broadom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

EFI-Q36-shl.zip

MacBook2,1-Q36-shl.ioreg

Edited by shl628
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found the cause of the problem.

The presence or absence of this problem depends on whether the power adapter is connected or not.

This is very peculiar...

When I boot into Mac OS with the power adapter plugged in to my laptop, it works at normal speed.

And, when I boot into Mac OS on battery power without plugging in the power adapter to the laptop, the system runs slowly.

I doubted that the battery related Kext is causing this problem, so I tried replacing AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext with AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.

But, likewise, the problem was not solved.

Still, when booting into Mac OS without plugging in the power adapter and on battery power, the system runs slowly.

The above problem did not occur when I had used the Chameleon or Clover bootloader on this laptop.

For the time being, the power adapter should always be connected and used... (@_@)

Edited by shl628

45 minutes ago, Hervé said:

It would appear you totally missed that OpenCore does not support CPU power management for pre-Sandy Bridge CPUs such as your old Merom C2D T5600: no generation of C & P States. See OpenCore's Shortcomings published here at Dortania's site (under kext injection). You should go back to Clover or Chameleon/Enoch for obvious performance reasons.

In addition, MacBook2,1 SMBIOs may not lead to full/native CPU SpeedStep, at least with Chameleon/Enoch; You'd need MackBook5,1 SMBIOS minimum and a tuned FakeSMC kext as described here. Can't remember with Clover, I'd have to get an old C2D/GMA950 system somewhere...

Thank you for reply.

Looking at the site linked to the post you replied, I just found out that OpenCore is unable to generate the C & P states of the Intel Pre-Sandy Bridge CPUs.

I'm sorry.

I'll try using clover again.

Thank you very much. :)

Edited by shl628
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

@Hervé thanks for your explanations! Under #kext-injection -> OpenCore's shortcomings I still see "Does not support P and C state generation for older CPUs" so that still appears to be current as of OC 0.6.8.

@shl628 do you have OC-based Clover >= r5123 running successfully? My secondary hackintosh Laptop with legacy BIOS is very similar to yours and it's running OS X Lion 10.7.5 in arch=i386 with pre-OC Clover r5122 mighty fine even with working speedspep, regardless if on battery or connected to power supply (because of parallel Windows 10 all on a MBR disk).

Right now I'm in the process of trying current Clover r5133 = with OpenRuntime.efi + Quirks, but so far without success. If you succeeded in running your hack with a current OC-based Clover, could you please zip and share your EFI folder?

(BTW, on my tertiary legacy hackbook, P and C state generation doesn't even work with Clover, but idling down the Core 2 Duo CPU works 100% via VoodooPState & PStateMenu (successor of PStateChanger), processor power management extension based on VoodooPower by Superhai. Combination of kext (VoodooPState) and application (PStateMenu). Supported chips: Intel Core 2, AMD Athlon / Phenom

Thread here:

)

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 5:01 PM, Hervé said:

It would appear you totally missed that OpenCore does not support CPU power management for pre-Sandy Bridge CPUs such as your old Merom C2D T5600: no generation of C & P States. See OpenCore's Shortcomings published here at Dortania's site (under kext injection). You should go back to Clover or Chameleon/Enoch for obvious performance reasons.

In addition, MacBook2,1 SMBIOS may not lead to full/native CPU SpeedStep, at least with Chameleon/Enoch; You'd need MackBook5,1 SMBIOS minimum and a tuned FakeSMC kext as described here. Can't remember with Clover, I'd have to get an old C2D/GMA950 system somewhere...

On 4/23/2021 at 6:18 AM, BuXb said:

@Hervé thanks for your explanations! Under #kext-injection -> OpenCore's shortcomings I still see "Does not support P and C state generation for older CPUs" so that still appears to be current as of OC 0.6.8.

@shl628 do you have OC-based Clover >= r5123 running successfully? My secondary hackintosh Laptop with legacy BIOS is very similar to yours and it's running OS X Lion 10.7.5 in arch=i386 with pre-OC Clover r5122 mighty fine even with working speedspep, regardless if on battery or connected to power supply (because of parallel Windows 10 all on a MBR disk).

Right now I'm in the process of trying current Clover r5133 = with OpenRuntime.efi + Quirks, but so far without success. If you succeeded in running your hack with a current OC-based Clover, could you please zip and share your EFI folder?

(BTW, on my tertiary legacy hackbook, P and C state generation doesn't even work with Clover, but idling down the Core 2 Duo CPU works 100% via VoodooPState & PStateMenu (successor of PStateChanger), processor power management extension based on VoodooPower by Superhai. Combination of kext (VoodooPState) and application (PStateMenu). Supported chips: Intel Core 2, AMD Athlon / Phenom

Thread here:

)

Hello. 🙂

After a long time, I updated to OpenCore r0.7.1 again.
As a result, I think the problem has been solved.

Even when booting without connecting the power adapter and without loading the CPU PM SSDT Tables added and modified by Clover,
the system doesn't run 1/2x slower and the battery level indicator works just fine.

PStateMenu.png.0ebc2fcd31783f2a927112d4d589f14f.png

The above screenshot shows PStateMenu.app checked under the following conditions.

• OpenCore IA32 r0.7.1
  • Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
  • Booting the system without connecting the power adapter.
  • Does not load CPU PM SSDT Tables by Clover's ACPI - SSDT - Generate Options - Generate CStates & PStates
  • Load VoodooPState.kext

Also, without loading VoodooPState.kext, the system won't run 1/2x slower and the battery level indicator works just fine.
Intel Merom Core 2 Duo T5600 CPU's Speed Step seems to be working normally! 🙊

However, it is the same that the battery related setting is not visible in the energy saving setting of the system preferences.

I updated the OpenCore version by rebuilding it from r0.6.7 to r0.7.1 at once.
Between those versions, when I look at the Commit history of OpenCore, I can see that Detection for Intel older generation CPUs has been added.

Previously, I tried to load CPU PM related SSDT Tables generated by Clover's ACPI - SSDT - Generate Options - Generate CStates & PStates option into OpenCore and drop OEM CPU SSDT Tables, but it didn't work.

Anyway, I'm glad it was resolved by updating the OpenCore version.

I would like to inform you that the problem seems to have been resolved now.

Edited by shl628
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...