Problem: Audio only from left channel!!

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

I got Mac oSx x86 running nice and smooth, the only problem is that I am getting audio only from the left channel. My sound card is an Onboard SoundMax ADI AD1980, but I am starting to think that its not only the sound card it could be config problem. I edited the Info.plist and tried to configure everywhere I couldn't fixed it. If you know something I would appreciate the help.

Setup:

Moutherboard Asus p4V8X-X

Celeron D 2.4Ghz SSe3 FBS @ 400Mhz

512 RAM

Already patch and with the TMP seeker that lags the computer

(If you know some progress with the Audigy, Feel free to also post it here!!)

THNX!

Hi batitombo,

I'm also running the deadmoo image and have no sound at all. However, I'm able to record sound

but can't seem to play it back. The motherboard has a VT 8237 Southbridge. If you look here :

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCLPart , you'll see this is a common problem. Can you

post your Info.plist so I can see what I'm doing wrong. Left channel audio is better than no audio at all. :o

Setup :

Motherboard ASUS P4V800-X

Pentium P4 2.8 Ghz SSE2 FSB @ 800Mhz Northwood core :)

512 RAM

Onboard ADI AD1980 SoundMAX 6-channel (http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4V800-X&langs=01)

Thnkx

Remember, the Driver that works for this motherboard is the AppleAC97AudioVIA. Hope you can get it to work, before doing anything try connecting the speaker cable in the mic, that is the only way that works here.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleAC97AudioVIA</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2004</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioVIA</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>VIA AC97 Audio Driver</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.0.0</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.0</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>VIA 8237 Audio</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioVIA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAC97AudioVIA</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x30591106</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio</key>

<string>1.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.1</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

Remember, the Driver that works for this motherboard is the AppleAC97AudioVIA. Hope you can get it to work, before doing anything try connecting the speaker cable in the mic, that is the only way that works here.

I can confirm

its works here and now i have left and right channel sound, however the sound still {censored}.

its a little weird :P but works!! :blink:

I have a question.

DO YOU ALL USE A THE "AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext" ?!?!?!

HowtoFindOut:

1. left-upper side klick on the blue apple "About This Mac"

2. Klick on "More Info ..."

3. In the left side klick on "Extensions" (under Software)

4. CAN YOU SEE AN ENTRY "AppleAC97AudioVIA"

Its to figure out where the problem is!

If its the AppleAC97Audio in general or the AppleAC97AudioVIA in special!

Maybe than we can fix it! Sourcecode is available!

@ batitombo :

I have exactly the same Info.plist , but I was referring to the one in AppleAC97intelIICH.kext because I have been putting in the device- and venderid (0x30591106) in all the appropriate sections there as mentioned in another post to get sound going. Connecting the speaker cable to the mic in doesn't give me sound. I'm able to record sound when plugging in a microphone to the mic in.

@ nixblicker :

I have AppleAC97Audio.kext and AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext loaded in Extensions (under Software).

When I manually load AppleAC97intelIICH.kext in terminal, I get that in Extensions as wel.

General questions to all you guys :

Who can record sound through the mic in?

What do you see in System Prefs-->Sound-->Output? As nearly all of you connect the speaker to the mic in, you must be seeing something like AC97(PCM) and mic in, which is totally illogical.

Thnxs

***EDIT***

Dunno what I did but I now seem to have sound from the left channel through the mic in plug.

I decided to try it once more after fiddling with the system for a while in safe mode. I also changed it to 48000 Hz in Audio/MIDI setup. I noticed in Extensions (under Software) that AppleAC97intelICH.kext is loaded as well without manually loading it. If you pull out the speaker plug a little you'll get your left channel through to your right channel. I know it's still mono but it's better than nothing.

Nobody seems to have mentioned this, but Apple hardware only comes with one analog line out -- one stereo mini jack. For 5.1 surround they have a a digital port.

Thus it should come as no surprise that we only get output through one analog jack, because that's all Apple supports in their current (and probably future) hardware. My speakers came with a little widget for just that reason.. it splits a stereo minijack into two (green/black) for surround speakers.

Meet el bumpo.

Still looking for a solution to this problem. I've tried this:

GOT IT!

GOT IT!

just go to the Audio Midi Setup... BUT... being root!

i used:

sudo -s
cd Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app/Contents/MacOS
./Audio\ MIDI\ Setup

Then.. In "Audio Devices" i found my Ac97 already configured..

I've selected the output one in "properties for" and choose format = 4ch-16bit

then, I've selected "configure speakers"

and I've replaced 1 and 2 with 3 and 4..

aply, done, close, DONE!

works for me

i

EDIT: Could also be the solution for other problems in other cards... check it out...

But I can't use other than 2ch/16bit and numbers 1-2 for the speakers. I'm using a VIA K8T800 (VT8237 South bridge) motherboard.

If its only comming out of the left speaker... isnt that because the microphone port is mono? so it only transmits that one line instead of both? Im not 100% but thats my guess.

I have this SoundMax {censored} on my IBM T42, but I have yet to hear a peep through OSx

If its only comming out of the left speaker... isnt that because the microphone port is mono? so it only transmits that one line instead of both? Im not 100% but thats my guess.

I have this SoundMax {censored} on my IBM T42, but I have yet to hear a peep through OSx

I thought both plugs on my headset are stereo mini jacks but I could be wrong.

Sound on your IBM T42 should work according to this http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...BM_Thinkpad_T42.

Yea, I wish they told how they got it to work. Im lost in that respect.

What have you done so far to make it work? Do you see anything in System Prefs==>Hardware==>Sound? I did a quick Google and found this for your hardware :

0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01). That's the output four your soundcard of lspci command on any Linux box. For your device and vendorid run lspci -n and check for a line that begins with 0000:00:1f.5. It's also possible to find this information on that other OS but I already forgot how. I'm a Lnux/Unix user myself. :) Once you know these you can modify the kernel extensions if that's necessary. Or check this http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=492&st=0 and ask member wangii, he seems to be running the same hardware.

That's right only 2ch/16bit and numbers 1-2 for the speakers in Audio/MIDI Setup. Has anyone tried to output the sound through the S/PDIF by hooking it up to a home theatre system??

Selecting SPDIF here doesn't actually change anything. It still outputs via analog (on only the left side) for me. I'm using the VIA VT8237 chipset on a K8T800 AMD64 board.

have to resetup my osx boot/partition so cant test anything... curious bout that hooking up to mic port... definatly will try that

when i did test sp/dif here it wasnt on a home stereo it was being routed to a digital mixer with sp/dif inputs.. both coax and toslink *coax being the one thats on the realtek that i have..

my mixer tells me if there is input or no input as it looks for the "wordclock" being spit out of sp/dif.

if digital equipment cannot see wordclock they will still comunicate but will click and pop during playback or record.

i know for sure there was no signal because there was no "wordclock" and no sound when sp/dif option was selected

anxious to boot back into osx and check all these options out however

stereo output would be nice.. still to bad these soundcards suck

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I also have the ASUS K8V-X, with the AD1980 Chipset and I'm having the same trouble of this thread author.

The problem is not that the output is the microphone jack, but something deeper in the driver...

I've modified some thing and now I have enabled the normal output.... but it is still mono.

So, i went back to the kext (which is AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext, not AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext) and modified some other things and I got back to my initial state: only left channel through Mic output.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?