Installer hang on HP 840 G1 with OC 0.6.3

jkl555

9 posts in this topic

I can run Catalina on my HP 840 G1, Haswell I5, HD 4400 with OC 0.6.3 without any issue. But it is a different story when I try to create USB installer for Big Sur. Dortania's guide on Big Sur showed a similar problem on Z97 motherboard. But mine is a laptop but the symptom is similar. Here is a screenshot. I also try OC 0.6.4 but it still hang after all those Disk Write Protected messages. 

IMG_5729.HEIC

do you need the data on this disk? I had this issue on an SSD and once i destroyed the partition table on the disk i was able to install. This happened during the second install phase, the initial format and copy went ok, it errored after the reboot.

I solved this by destroying the partition table using dd - boot the installer again and run terminal. Then diskutil list to get a list of your disks to see which device your SSD is. Then to wipe everything you would dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/disk0 if your SSD is disk0 when listed above.

THIS WILL DESTROY ALL DATA ON YOUR DISK SO DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP ANY DATA

Just an update. I followed some other advice and let it stuck at 'device is write locked' and waited for 15 to 20 minutes. Eventually it moves forward to the Big Sur installation screen. I didn't continue to upgrade because someone said the upgrade will take one and half hour. I will do it some other time.

On 11/29/2020 at 3:15 AM, jkl555 said:

Just an update. I followed some other advice and let it stuck at 'device is write locked' and waited for 15 to 20 minutes. Eventually it moves forward to the Big Sur installation screen. I didn't continue to upgrade because someone said the upgrade will take one and half hour. I will do it some other time.

Ah ok - i thought the installer was rebooting at this point rather than just 'hanging'

Update. All the time the long wait (or hang) is due to the WIFI/BT card. I deleted these 4 kext (a) AirportBrcmFixup.kext (b) BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext (c) BrcmFirmwareData.kext and (d) BrcmPatchRAM3.kext from OC and the installer booted smoothly without any long wait. I still have WIFI on the installation screen probably the wifi card is natively supported ? I have a BCM94360HMB. Need to dig into more about this. I know 94360 is natively support but only the apple-made version.

A second attempt to install Big Sur is very smooth. I kept the AirportBrcmFixup and BrcmBluetoothInjector. The hang (or long wait) are due to BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3. Previously, there was a message on the first installation that I didn't notice was

IOKit Daemon stall 'BCM20702A0'

It is the BT of my BCM94360HMB. Guess I don't need to upload the firmware in Big Sur. 

After I took out these two kexts, all went well. I still have WIFI and BT.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 1.58.14 PM.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi I have same laptop but I cannot complete installation 

It almost finishes and it says less than 1 minute remaining but does not seem to go any further ...

Can I try with you opencore folder????