Big Sur : The Impossible Installaion

flkx

25 posts in this topic

Situation : Asus Z97-A / i7-4790k [Haswell] / 32Go / Samsung SSD 500 Go / ATI 560

This hack is actually working pretty well with Opencore 0.6.3 / Catalina 10.15.7

From 2 days now, i'm trying to install Big Sur RC2, i checked everything 10 times : Opencore conf, hard drives formats, all that can be verified, because something very strange happens whatever the installation technique, (from Catalina or usb key), the installation starts, then halfway through (12 minutes remaining) the progress stops and I only have one folder macOS Install Data on the targeted hard drive. I attach my EFI folder, config.plist and a log of the aborted installation, if anyone has any idea ... 

Installer Log 11-Nov-20203.txt

config.plist

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 21.09.00.png

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 21.12.49.png

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 21.13.01.png

Edited by flkx
order

Thank you, i'll try it asap. 

EDIT : same result with your file :no:, i think this is not a bootloader problem, but i really don't know where to search for a solution ......

Edited by flkx

I am in a similar situation. 

I ended up here by searching the internet.

I am unsure if the problem is that the installer ends at 12 minutes. Mine does the same (obviously). It either seems to be a Z97 issue or NVRAM issue, or both

There is a thread at reddit, which doesn't provide any insightful information at the time of this post, but I am linking it here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/jt5pjx/z97_chipset_haswell_users/

Did this succeed in your Z97 chipset?

Could it be ASUS Z97 specific?

When mine restarts, it starts in verbose mode (all the updates I've done so far are done this way). I eventually leave it sitting there for almost an hour and nothing really happens.

I haven't tried with 11.0.1 version but I did it with the beta on my asrock z97 extreme9.

Normally you should finish the verbose boot and arrive at the apple screen with progress bar at first reboot.

Have you updated to latest lilu and WEG ? I had to do it in order to make my RX5700XT working properly.

I have everything updated. 

Lilu, WEG, Opencore

It does get to an apple screen, stays for a couple of seconds then reboots. And this happens over and over and over again.

Quite a few people with Z97 boards have the same behaviour (and it seems to be ASUS Motherboards that have this issue from what I see)

They posted in OpenCore bugtracker as well.

This is a google drive folder of everything they have gathered about this error.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HDhgszlHVswBmGER8oSusrzkNJ-UZuvB

As you can see, there's also a short video. This is exactly what happens to me as well. Apple logo => restart within 5 seconds

If you have installed it on your ASROCK motherboard, then it might be ASUS mobo specific since OP and me both have Asus boards, along with everyone in the reddit post I submitted earlier.

I see. I have noticed this kind of behavior with my Asus z390 board if I don't reboot directly to MacOSInstaller.

As I have dual boot with windows 10 by default, if I let it reboot to windows 10 then go back to MacOSInstaller, the installation seems to go as expected but it reboots over and over.

But if I reboot directly at the right boot entry It worked.

@flkx i faced a similar issue with asus x99 deluxe. It drove me nuts.

At the end I took a different path and i installed Big Sur through a restore method (see link to method below). That gave me a bootable Big Sur beta 5. And from there i upgraded up to now the 11.0.1 Public Release.

It is worth trying.

https://www.olarila.com/topic/8977-guide-installrestore-bigsur-with-opencore/

Good luck.

• Like 1

your usb installer working ok, after 12 minutes it reboots ,let it reboot ,again  select ur usb to boot and now select  install macos icon in the bootloader (u should have one)and let it run and reboot again.

again boot with ur usb  and select big sur hdd icon , if you still have install macos icon boot it again probably this time when you reboot  you shold see bigsur drive and boot with uour usb. big sur doesnot say install complete and restart.

attaching my oc efi here.

my specs

mobo.  ga z490 ud5

cpu cometlake i7

gpu rx580 amd

ram 32gb

ssd, 

everything working on first install.

Just wanna confirm that I am having this issue as well. Booting the USB installation went fine but after started installing it, at exactly "12 minutes remaining" mark, the installation reboot the computer unexpectedly. The only line that I can see is something along "SIGKILL sent by diskarbitration".

Here's my PC specifications:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580
Samsung 860 EVO SSD

• Like 1

are you using open core 0.6.3 ???? if not update your efi drivers and kexts. what do you see when it reboots????  to see icons you have to add resources to your efi folder and make 2 entries in your config.plist

Misc -> Boot -> PickerMode: External

Misc -> Boot -> PickerAttributes:1

check your smbios , according to your hardware.

I finally made it to Big Sur after more than 30 hours of bathing in blood and sweat fiddling around to achieve it.

1. What I thought to be "installer crashing" at 12 minutes mark turns to be a non issue. I found this out when I was about to give up and decided to go back to Catalina. While I was trying to install Catalina using OpenCore 0.6.3 (the same one I used to install Big Sur), I had the same issue. However, in Catalina, the 2nd reboot succeeded and the installer continued its progress. There's a few reboot after that but that's normal since the progress bar keeps going to its end. This made me realized that the problem with Big Sur is exactly at when it tries to reboot the installer for the first time.

2. After Catalina got installed, I try to do a direct upgrade to Big Sur from within Catalina. The installation went well since its not crashing (or so I thought). But when it tries to go for its first reboot to finish the installation, the same thing happen - I got into a boot loop of misery.

3. Luckily, I have a real Macbook Pro (mid 2014). I grabbed my external HDD enclosure, connect my SSD to it and start installing Big Sur to my SSD (which is now connected externally via that HDD enclosure) by clicking on the downloaded Install macOS Big Sur.app. The installation went fine. It even survive the reboots.

4. After installation finished, I booted the external SSD using my Macbook Pro and continue creating user account. I didn't login my iCloud yet at this point though.

5. After logging in to the desktop, I mount the EFI partition and copy my EFI folder that I used to install Catalina previously. Then, I shut it down and detach the SDD from my external enclosure. Then, I connect back my SSD via SATA to my PC.

6. Boom! Big Sur booted successfully.

What works:
1. Everything including iCloud drive sync, audio, sleep, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, airdrop etc. excluding:

What does not work:
1. DRM works partially. VDA decoder works but Netflix won't allow me to watch the movie. The short trailer works though. I don't really care about this as I usually watch Netflix using a custom extension made for Microsoft Edge (to get 1080p).
2. Emulated NVRAM. Since this doesn't affect anything like iMessage etc., I also don't care about this.

Using this method might not be the best experience. I might have to reattach my SSD back to my Macbook externally to apply any macOS update in the future if there's any . But while quite cumbersome, it's manageable. Hope OpenCore will fix this before the next macOS update.

EFI folder that I used attached below.

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 2.14.06 PM.png

EFI.zip

9 hours ago, petsasj said:

Can you please describe with a few words how you upgraded to Big Sur using VMWARE?

Did you upgrade, or do a clean install?

Both !

Since I have several disks on my PC, and I didn't want to start ALL OVER each time I tried to install it, i started with a Catalina partition on which I installed VMWARE FUSION, then just create a virtual machine whose disk is a real disk (tutorials on the internet) and at the end of the installation (choosing its language) : stop the virtual machine, install OPENCORE in the EFI partition and restart on this disc. Continue with the installation process, import data from Catalina (if necessary) and VOILA!

On 11/15/2020 at 11:26 PM, petsasj said:

Can you please describe with a few words how you upgraded to Big Sur using VMWARE?

Did you upgrade, or do a clean install?

Follow this guide

But this step 

hdiutil create -size 12G -fs hfs+ -volname install -type SPARSEBUNDLE ~/Desktop/install

You should not use 12G but 16G 

Been having the same problems with every version of Big Sur beta on my setup. Installation always crashes. It works through VMware method only. 

Edited by Synaesthesia

On 11/12/2020 at 6:21 AM, flkx said:

Situation : Asus Z97-A / i7-4790k [Haswell] / 32Go / Samsung SSD 500 Go / ATI 560

This hack is actually working pretty well with Opencore 0.6.3 / Catalina 10.15.7

From 2 days now, i'm trying to install Big Sur RC2, i checked everything 10 times : Opencore conf, hard drives formats, all that can be verified, because something very strange happens whatever the installation technique, (from Catalina or usb key), the installation starts, then halfway through (12 minutes remaining) the progress stops and I only have one folder macOS Install Data on the targeted hard drive. I attach my EFI folder, config.plist and a log of the aborted installation, if anyone has any idea ... 

Installer Log 11-Nov-20203.txt

config.plist

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 21.09.00.png

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 21.12.49.png

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 21.13.01.png

so where is EFI folder ??

• Like 1