[SOLVED] SATA hot plug not working in Big Sur

miliuco

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I have noticed that the patch I used in Catalina to be able to hot plug SATA drives does not work in Big Sur. I mean this patch:
Name = com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort
Find = 40600200
Replace = 00000000
Comment = SATA hot plug

It happens to someone else? How can I solve that? Thank you.

4 hours ago, eSaF said:

Hi - This is the Patch in my config.plist also check that the particular Sata Port the Drive is connected to, that Hot Plug is enabled in the BIOS...

I have it the same. It seems that in Big Sur it does not work although in Catalina it works well.

Works on my rig very well with Catalina and BS, I Suggest you check the config.plist entries carefully again as in the pic also that the Sata Port is live (that particular port is not restricted by the use of a NVMe drive if you're using one), again most important, make sure Hot Plug is enabled in the BIOS for the connecting port you'll be Hot Plugging from. As you can see from this pic I now have BS as my main Drive and Hot Plugging Catalina hence the Orange Icon for external Drives.

Spoiler

77654393_Screenshot2020-10-13at11_57_59.png.61d2c1f09c2cc4eb7dfc6e23cb587666.png

I see that in your system it works fine. I will review it again. I have Sata hot plug enabled in Bios. I don't use Nvme. On Catalina’s disk the patch works fine. But not in BS. I'll go over everything and tell you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miliuco said:

I see that in your system it works fine. I will review it again. I have Sata hot plug enabled in Bios. I don't use Nvme. On Catalina’s disk the patch works fine. But not in BS. I'll go over everything and tell you.

Just go over your settings carefully, quite easy to miss a small detail. Sometime back I gave the patch to someone and they claimed it didn't work until they realised they had Count Number=0 in the config.plist instead of 1 in the patch.

PS - Are you using one EFI Folder to boot all or each OS X versions with they own? The reason I ask I use one to boot both Catalina and BS.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, eSaF said:

... PS - Are you using one EFI Folder to boot all or each OS X versions with they own? The reason I ask I use one to boot both Catalina and BS.

You're right. I have suspected this from reading your text about several EFIs, one for each system.

I have Catalina on one SSD and BS on another SSD, each with its own ESP partition and complete EFI folder. After reading your text, I have rebooted but I have cleared NVRAM and rebooted again and SATA hot plug works!!!
This was the problem, swapping disks that read NVRAM that has been stored from another disk. Since I use SSDT-PMC, I have native NVRAM and it is no longer saved in the root of each system disk, as before, I think it's stored now in the Board CMOS (I guess it's in this place though I'm not sure but NVRAM values are available for systems other than the one that generated them).
Thank you very much for your help, problem solved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miliuco said:

@eSaF Do you know if my guess is correct that NVRAM keys and values, when there is native NVRAM, are stored in CMOS? Like BIOS date and time?

Yes -  your guess is correct hence the reason for a patch for boards without native NVRAM. Without the patch these boards will sometimes more than often flake out with every boot up with a corrupt CMOS state which would need resetting each time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eSaF said:

Yes -  your guess is correct hence the reason for a patch for boards without native NVRAM. Without the patch these boards will sometimes more than often flake out with every boot up with a corrupt CMOS state which would need resetting each time.

Thank you.

• Like 1