cfg unlock for Aorus Z390 pro

Dragna

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I followed @AudioGod's guide to unlock cfg but it doesn't seems to work.

I have F12_d bios version.

what I did

- loading the profile

- exiting bios with changes saved

- go again in the bios 

- save the profile (to be able to reapply it later)

- exiting bios with changes saved

- restart and boot on Mac os

- mount my EFI 

- change :

- `AppleCpuPmCfgLock` to `false`

- `AppleXcpmCfgLock` to `false`

- save and restart

- boot on Mac OS  and then I'm stuck with the apple logo and the loading bar doesn't appear. 

If I get `AppleCpuPmCfgLock` and `AppleXcpmCfgLock` flags back to `true`, everything works like before.

I'm sure I must have missed something but I don't see what.

Thank you in advance for your help : ).

additionnaly here is what I have in hackintool

MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL........
------------------------------------------
 - I/O MWAIT Redirection Enable......... : 0 (not enabled)
 - CFG Lock............................. : 1 (MSR locked until next reset)

it says that the msg is locked until next reset.

I tried resetting the nvram before reapplying the F12_D_Unlocked profile, but it doesn't change the result, I still see MSR locked until next reset)

On 10/10/2020 at 11:49 PM, jeffbellamy said:

Maybe you can help me. I'm having no success flashing to F12d. Can you explain what you did?

from what I remember, I downloaded the firmware, put it on an usb drive, booted on the bios and installed it from there, I got no errors.

What is your problem with that part ?

2 hours ago, Dragna said:

from what I remember, I downloaded the firmware, put it on an usb drive, booted on the bios and installed it from there, I got no errors.

What is your problem with that part ?

An important factor to remember the usb drive must be formatted FAT32 if my memory serves me, besides there is a Beta Bios versions for the Pro and Pro WIFI that has easy Builtin CFG Lock/Unlock now, but with all Betas, one is advised to be very cautious as you could potentially cause irreparable damage to your Board.

IMG_0241.HEIC

IMG_0242.HEIC

On 10/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, eSaF said:

An important factor to remember the usb drive must be formatted FAT32 if my memory serves me, besides there is a Beta Bios versions for the Pro and Pro WIFI that has easy Builtin CFG Lock/Unlock now, but with all Betas, one is advised to be very cautious as you could potentially cause irreparable damage to your Board.

IMG_0241.HEIC

IMG_0242.HEIC

Thank you for the tips, I updated the bios and now have the option. : )

It's a funny thing that gigabyte doesn't tells you that it is a beta firmware, it's presented in the list like any other firmware update : D .

I was in f12d and didn't have this option on the menu.

I know have it thanks to you : ) .

@jeffbellamy, what is the result you have, I just updated my Bios and everything went smoothly ( @eSaF is right, your usb drive needs to be formatted using FAT32 and it will pop in the dialog of the bios where you have to choose from which drive you want to load the bios firmware)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dragna said:

Thank you for the tips, I updated the bios and now have the option. : )

It's a funny thing that gigabyte doesn't tells you that it is a beta firmware, it's presented in the list like any other firmware update : D .

I was in f12d and didn't have this option on the menu.

I know have it thanks to you : ) .

@jeffbellamy, what is the result you have, I just updated my Bios and everything went smoothly ( @eSaF is right, your usb drive needs to be formatted using FAT32 and it will pop in the dialog of the bios where you have to choose from which drive you want to load the bios firmware)

Hi - BIOS version F12j is now officially released as you correctly observed on the Gigabyte web site.

On 10/15/2020 at 4:17 AM, Dragna said:

On 10/15/2020 at 4:17 AM, Dragna said:

I got an error message. I can't duplicate it right now since by build has ceased recognizing any flash drives I plug in. The joy continues.

22 hours ago, ManEatingSnail said:

I've managed to install without the cfg unlock. I shall have a look at this later and have a go and let you know what happens. If it does go well I'll let you know step by step what I did :)

AudioGod has new EFI which doesn't require CFG unlock. Success for me.

OpenCore 0.6.2 EFI Update - 10.15.7 & Big Sur Ready, 5th October 2020 

(Use With Bios Revision F12d or Newer)

The EFIs and DSDTs have now been updated to the my latest versions.

Changes made include,

AppleALC 1.5.3

Lilu 1.4.8

WhateverGreen 1.4.3

VirtualSMC 1.1.7

AirportBrcmFixup 2.1.0

IntelMausi 1.0.4

OpenCore Updated to Revision 0.6.2 (Big Sur Ready)

OpenCanopy is Enabled as Standard

Plus other major tweaks and changes to all of the configs

OpenCore EFI Update v0.6.2 - 05/10/2020

OpenCore 062 Z390 Pro 19,1 051020.zip - OpenCore v0.6.2, SMBios iMac19,1

OpenCore 062 Z390 Pro 1,1 051020.zip - OpenCore v0.6.2, SMBios iMacPro1,1 (IGPU Disabled)

Note - If your not using a 5700 XT or any other Navi GPU then remove agdpmod=pikera from the boot arguments.

Note 2 - Do not try to carry across your old OpenCore Config.plist to the new EFI as to many changes have occurred in 0.6.0. Use the new Config.plist instead.

For OpenCore Using PlistEdit Pro add your details by modifying the following 

453128831_Screenshot2020-01-16at19_25_01.thumb.png.7a9beac3ccc0096941fc4a0ec07b8248.png

PLEASE NOTE - These EFIs are setup to be used with your msr Unlocked so make sure you use the F12d Unlocked Profile but if for any reason you can not unlock MSR then just modify following in the OpenCore config.plist :

249434888_Screenshot2020-01-16at19_26_02.thumb.png.948834bc41d84df577e126ae92c9d773.png

Additional Downloads

mb_bios_z390-aorus-pro_f12d.zip - Aorus Z390 PRO Firmware F12d 

PlistEdit Pro.zip - PlistEdit Pro (use to edit OpenCore)

CFG Unlock (MSR) F12d (F12c Pro WIFI) BIOS Profile - The Easy Way 

I have made this bios profile for you all to use that will unlock CFG on your motherboard making it play alot more friendly with the NVRam.

It also has all the bios settings listed on this guide pre done and saved onto the profile.

F12d_UNLOCK.zip - Use with Z390 Pro Bios Revision F12d ONLY

F12c Unlock.zip - Use with Z390 Pro WIFI Bios Revision F12c ONLY

1 - Download the profile and save it to a USB Key

2 - Go into the bios,

3 - Load the profile, 

4 - Save and exit

5 - Go straight back into the bios and save your bios to a new profile and name it Default CFG Unlocked or something like that.

6 - Boot back into Catalina go into your clover config and under Kernal and Kext Patches Uncheck KernalPM 

7 - Save the changes and then restart and your done, your motherboard will now be CFG (MSR) Unlocked

PLEASE NOTE - If you reset the bios or load bios defaults it will clear the Unlock making CFG Locked again. 

Clover EFI Update Coming Soon (I am holding off from updating the Clover EFI until it is fully Big Sur Compatible and will update the EFI as soon as it is so)

Edited Thursday at 08:48 AM by AudioGod

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...