Installer loop after 1st stage on S775 machine

b105

7 posts in this topic

Hey, all. I installed Big Sur successfully on my main machine, but I wanted to get it working on this old Core 2 Duo desktop, with an E7200 and GT 630. It runs Catalina without issues. Big Sur's installer boots successfully, and lets me pick the volume to install to. After it copies the files and reboots, I'm stuck in an endless loop where verbose ends, the Apple logo appears, goes forwards a bit, and then restarts (not a kernel panic). I've let it do it over 10 times, nothing changes. I tried all the betas, from 1 to 4, tinkered with my config.plist, added SSDTs to fix up the ACPI, and tried running the installer both from the installed Catalina partition and from a USB stick. I also successfully booted Big Sur from an installation I did from my main machine to an external hard drive, so I know that Big Sur is technically compatible.

I will attach my EFI folder below, which has the latest kexts available + OC 0.6.0. Hope somebody had this issue and found the solution to it. Thanks in advance!

OC.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 5:39 AM, b105 said:

Hey, all. I installed Big Sur successfully on my main machine, but I wanted to get it working on this old Core 2 Duo desktop, with an E7200 and GT 630. It runs Catalina without issues. Big Sur's installer boots successfully, and lets me pick the volume to install to. After it copies the files and reboots, I'm stuck in an endless loop where verbose ends, the Apple logo appears, goes forwards a bit, and then restarts (not a kernel panic). I've let it do it over 10 times, nothing changes. I tried all the betas, from 1 to 4, tinkered with my config.plist, added SSDTs to fix up the ACPI, and tried running the installer both from the installed Catalina partition and from a USB stick. I also successfully booted Big Sur from an installation I did from my main machine to an external hard drive, so I know that Big Sur is technically compatible.

I will attach my EFI folder below, which has the latest kexts available + OC 0.6.0. Hope somebody had this issue and found the solution to it. Thanks in advance!

OC.zip

Did you find a solution ?

I have this exact issue on a optiplex 980 and like you I can run BS on this rig as putting an ssd from a running BS install into it it runs fine. Once installed I can update via software update also but it’s this initial second stage which is the issue. 

interested if anyone figures this out as it has me stumped. 

On 8/6/2020 at 1:39 PM, b105 said:

OC.zip

do a createmediainstall and keep pointing OC to the boot drive BS restarts several times

1 hour ago, STLVNUB said:

do a createmediainstall and keep pointing OC to the boot drive BS restarts several times

I know but this isn't that - it literally reboots very soon after the apple logo appears, a few seconds, and does not progress the install. On my other systems this does not happen and the install is successful.

On 11/23/2020 at 3:03 PM, mickeyd453 said:

I know but this isn't that - it literally reboots very soon after the apple logo appears, a few seconds, and does not progress the install. On my other systems this does not happen and the install is successful.

OK - seems this is an NVRAM issue. Without working NVRAM the installer will reboot as its trying to read something that's not there. I am not certain I'll be able to get NVRAM working on this board so I may resort to the transplanting the drive from a different system in order to get BS installed. Once installed it runs fine, its just this second stage install that fails.

There is a reddit thread which explains the problem I am seeing but not certain of that fix working for me.