Higgie

Opencore Boot Time a bit sluggish

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all

I've got a fully working install of Catalina 10.15.5 using OpenCore 0.5.9 and I've managed to get everything working perfectly. It's my first PC Build ever (Let alone Hackintosh) so I'm pretty pleased that I've managed to get everything up and running so far, including Thunderbolt 3 (with hotplug), Sidecar, onboard HDMI Audio, Wifi/BT pairing across both OS (Windows 10 and MacOS). The only thing that now bugs me is the time taken to boot from the Opencore picker to my login screen. It's not super slow by any means, but with my specs I believe it should be faster. Here is what I'm running:

Intel Core i7 10700K

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D

Noctua NH-D15S

Corsair LPX 3000MHz 32GB RAM (2x16GB)

Adata XPG SX8200 1TB NVMe SSD (MacOS)

Adata XPG SX8200 1TB NVMe SSD (Windows 10)

Crucial BX200 1TB SSD (Storage)

Crucial MX500 2TB SSD (Storage)

Asus 8GB Dual Arez RX580

Corsair RM650

Fenvi HB1200

Windows boot is pretty sharp - Usually under 10secs. MacOS on the other hand usually is in the region of ~70secs. When I first installed Catalina it would boot super quick, but it's gotten more and more sluggish over the last few weeks. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? I can attach my EFI if needed.

Thanks!

Edited by Higgie

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

Try reducing the amount of enabled debug and trace options on your config.plist - assuming you have them - and also running a release build. I have a DEBUG build of OC with all debug flags turned on at this config.plist file and yes, it displays the picker in well over a minute and half. However on my RELEASE build of OC, with no debug or trace options enabled on the config.plist, the picker is shown in perhaps 3 seconds maximum.

Edited by Alex HQuest

Thanks for your reply Alex! I am using the Release version of 0.5.9 (have been thinking about updating to 0.6.0 now that's out but haven't got round to it yet!) and getting to the picker is usually very quick - It's from when I choose MacOS to when my username appears and is ready for login. I may have overestimated the time it takes, it's about 45secs and not 70, but I still feel that might be a little lengthy? It's not really a problem as once I'm into MacOS itself it's super snappy and responsive, and as stable as a real Mac from what I can tell, so maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Announcements

• Similar Content

• By chris1111
      Here my theme of OC 

How to create are own Theme with Icnspack-Builder

You can also have the themes on ➤ Github

You can also have the themes on ➤ HTML Page

• By IronManJFF
      Z77MX-QUO-AOS Migrating from OZ to OpenCore (based on OpenCore 0.5.7-2020-03-08)

0) Disclaimer : This a Guide for the QUO motherboard, 100% to fail on any other. I have not tested it with iGPU only so take note. I have not tested it with any other SMBIOS than iMac13,2. I have not tested 'FileVault' drives or Fusion drives.
      1) Backup your current firmware and settings  use Q-Flash  Save BIOS to ROM... if you don't and end up with a brick you deserve what is happening to you

2) Backup your data, only fools don't take backups

Follow these steps ..don't come bitching if you don't do them in the correct order (and don't be creative, well you can be after you make it work with this recipe)

3) Retrieving info, you will need using HackinTool 
      Board Serial Number  ROM ModelIdentifier Serial Number System ID 4) Download "OC to OC Migration.zip" (to come) and extract it 
      5) Now Open this file using XCode or your favorite Plist Editor

6) Fill in the info from Step 3 in the Generic Section (don't touch anything else)

7) Save as config.plist

8) Open your EFI folder from your boot drive (the one that has the OZ folder), time to copy the stuff over

9) Time to flash the OC-friendly firmware, put the firmware on a USB stick and flash it

10) If all goes well when it reboots , you will see the original QUO Boot Logo and then it will greet you with a Bootpicker screen .. kinda like when you hold Option on a real Mac. something like (to see reset NVRAM, Recovery HD and access to UEFI Shell from this screen .. press Spacebar)

11) Choose which OS to Boot and enjoy!

Special Topics:

The OC-friendly firmware basically it is :
             The H20-XMASS firmware
      stripped of Ozmosis, FakeSMC, HFS, APFSDriverLoader,VoodooHDA and anything Oz specific while retaining the DSDT that made it special snapped back the QUO Boot Logo from the original firmware (F3A) was the only way I found to fix black screen on cold boot Optimized Defaults values to be OC-friendly       

To get into UEFI Shell before invoking OC ---> Hold F12 at startup (nothing new)
      Setting Default Boot Drive ---> OC honors Startup Disk Control Panel
      Windows (UEFI) ---> Two ways , pick one and stick with it
      From OC Boot Picker (that is what I do) From the mobo native boot picker (Holding F12 at startup and choosing Windows) HD4000 headless ---> In firmware setting .. iGPU enabled, Init Display first PEG (that's it --will not work with SMBIOS MacMini), make sure you have a working setup before enabling this feature.
      Parrallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, Virtual Box --> In firmware setttings, Intel Virtualization Technology  Enabled (i left it off by default because there might be people with Sandy Bridge or Pentium CPU)

To remove the BootPicker at startup (you can still make it show by holding Option at boot) --> Set ShowPicker key to false in config.plist
      To disable the BootChime et startup --> Set AudioSupport key to false in config.plist

Troubleshooting:

To retrieve Debug log from Terminal
      nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:boot-log | awk '{gsub(/%0d%0a%00/,"");gsub(/%0d%0a/,"\n")}1'  
      Get the migration kit (0.5.8)

Updated Kit for 0.5.9

Updated Kit for 0.6.0

*** WARNING I am having issues with 0.6.1 don't apply unless you can revert to 0.6.0 ***
      *** Issue is : Get prohibited sign on cold boot ...under investigation ***
      Updated Kit for 0.6.1
      *** WARNING I am having issues with 0.6.1 don't apply unless you can revert to 0.6.0 ***
      *** Issue is : Get prohibited sign on cold boot ...under investigation ***

• By mridhulofficial
      Hi team,
      Please advice me for the issue. Already gone through other posts.
      My spec Ryzen 9 3900x and Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC motherboard.
      I installed Cataliana on my system .. everything looking perfect exept ethernet. Installed LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext and ethernet is showing on network window but no internet connection. Adjusted hardware settings in network as Manually/100baseTX/full-duplex, flow-control but issue not fixed.
      Please help me.

Thanks is advance.
    • By MacLover1984
      I am installing MacOS Catalina by OpenCore version 0.6.1 with following configuration:
      ·         Ryzen 7 3700X,
      ·         Sapphire Nitro RX 5500XT,
      ·         MSI x570 tomahawk wifi with Realtek® 8125B 2.5G LAN controller
      I have gathered all required files and doable with LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext[V1.0.0d6] according to installation guide. But when I am going to install Catalina, a message “An internet connection is required to install MacOS” is showing. Please guide me to resolve the issue.

config.plist
      Info.plist
    • By MaLd0n
      -OpenCore Vanilla TUTORIAL-

-USB Port Mapping TUTORIAL-

1 -Create a USB bootable

Create your usb installer, use this tool and download Catalina or Big Sur from Apple servers

Catalina
      installScript_allfullapp.zip

Big Sur
      installScript_1016fullapp.zip

Credits: crazybirdy

Copy Catalina / Big Sur installer to Applications folder, open terminal and run

Catalina

Big Sur

If you want check one step by step, check here

-Opencore Vanilla Tutorial
      https://tinyurl.com/ycvcnp8h

2- EFI folder USB installation

-EFI OpenCore Folder Desktop 10th Intel Processors
      Paste this EFI folder in EFI partition in your USB STICK
      https://tinyurl.com/ybwr9kq3

-EFI Clover Folder Desktop 10th Intel Processors
      Paste this EFI folder in EFI partition in your USB STICK
      https://tinyurl.com/yxsw7d3t

3- EFI folder SSD

-EFI OpenCore Folder Desktop 10th Intel Processors
      Paste this EFI folder in EFI partition SSD 
      https://tinyurl.com/ybwr9kq3

-EFI Clover Folder Desktop 10th Intel Processors
      Paste this EFI folder in EFI partition SSD
      https://tinyurl.com/yxsw7d3t

4- Start Fine Tune

Run this app and post full dump here for full ACPI solution

RunMe.app
      https://tinyurl.com/y9562hz7

If you like a SSDT way, here we go
      SSDT-OLARILA.aml.zip

5- USB Solution

Use these kexts, enable XHCI port limit patch

USB INTEL SERIE 400.zip

and follow this tutorial for remap USB ports

--DSDT PATCHES--

-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS -FIX ACPI ERRORS -REMOVE UNUSED SCOPES / DEVICES -HIGH PRECISION EVENT TIMER -SATA SERIE ID -DMAC -REMOVE LINES, PROBLEMATIC and UNUSED -FIX K.P in REBOOT -NVRAM -REAL TIME CLOCK -SLPB -DARWIN / WINDOWS -XHCI -PLUGIN TYPE -HDEF -ARTC -IPIC -TIMR -SBUS -BUS1 -MCHC -ALS0 -SHUTDOWN -UAR1 -LAN -FWHD -USBX -PMCR -PPMC -XSPI -kUSBCompanionIndex -io-device-location -IMEI -EC -PNLF -ARPT -GFX0 -NVME -ACPI-WAKE-GPE -DTGP -HDMI / HDAU  
      --SCREENSHOTS--

-If you want to buy me a beer - Donations with PayPal
      https://tinyurl.com/r2bvzm7

Big Thanks to XLR and your Badass Motherboard, Ultrafast CPU, Coolest Heatsink, Huge Graphics Card, Tonnes of RAM,
      Gigantic Hard Drive, Lightspeed Disk Burner, Professional Sound Card, Massive LCD Display.

-Credits and thanks to the old and new people in the community who developed patches, kexts and bootloaders!
      Slice, Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr, RehabMan, Download-Fritz, Zenit432, cecekpawon, Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon Team, crazybirdy, Mieze, Mirone, Oldnapalm, netkas, Elconiglio, artut-pt, ErmaC, Pavo, Toleda, Master Chief and family, bcc9, The King, PMheart, Sherlocks, Micky1979, vit9696, vandroiy2013, Voodoo Team, Pike R. Alpha, lvs1974, Austere.J, CVad and many, many, many others!

We're all here to have fun and learn from each other!