Opencore Boot Time a bit sluggish

Higgie

3 posts in this topic

Hi all

I've got a fully working install of Catalina 10.15.5 using OpenCore 0.5.9 and I've managed to get everything working perfectly. It's my first PC Build ever (Let alone Hackintosh) so I'm pretty pleased that I've managed to get everything up and running so far, including Thunderbolt 3 (with hotplug), Sidecar, onboard HDMI Audio, Wifi/BT pairing across both OS (Windows 10 and MacOS). The only thing that now bugs me is the time taken to boot from the Opencore picker to my login screen. It's not super slow by any means, but with my specs I believe it should be faster. Here is what I'm running:

Intel Core i7 10700K

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D

Noctua NH-D15S

Corsair LPX 3000MHz 32GB RAM (2x16GB)

Adata XPG SX8200 1TB NVMe SSD (MacOS)

Adata XPG SX8200 1TB NVMe SSD (Windows 10)

Crucial BX200 1TB SSD (Storage)

Crucial MX500 2TB SSD (Storage)

Asus 8GB Dual Arez RX580

Corsair RM650

Fenvi HB1200

Windows boot is pretty sharp - Usually under 10secs. MacOS on the other hand usually is in the region of ~70secs. When I first installed Catalina it would boot super quick, but it's gotten more and more sluggish over the last few weeks. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? I can attach my EFI if needed.

Thanks!

Edited by Higgie

Try reducing the amount of enabled debug and trace options on your config.plist - assuming you have them - and also running a release build. I have a DEBUG build of OC with all debug flags turned on at this config.plist file and yes, it displays the picker in well over a minute and half. However on my RELEASE build of OC, with no debug or trace options enabled on the config.plist, the picker is shown in perhaps 3 seconds maximum.

Edited by Alex HQuest

Thanks for your reply Alex! I am using the Release version of 0.5.9 (have been thinking about updating to 0.6.0 now that's out but haven't got round to it yet!) and getting to the picker is usually very quick - It's from when I choose MacOS to when my username appears and is ready for login. I may have overestimated the time it takes, it's about 45secs and not 70, but I still feel that might be a little lengthy? It's not really a problem as once I'm into MacOS itself it's super snappy and responsive, and as stable as a real Mac from what I can tell, so maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!