building a hackintosh

qchisolm

3 posts in this topic

So, I'm new to the building a Hackintosh thing. Built PC's, tons of them, just need help with the array of combinations. My questions are more what specific parts do I get. RAM for instance, is Crucial the only RAM that works or will any. So, I need help with everything from the proper motherboard, to graphics cards. I'm starting with an ATX case, 850 Watt power supply, or does this matter. Mojave for OS.

@qchisolm

Welcome to InsanelyMac.com :)

Nowadays almost any computer is hackintoshable; Thanks to the great developers and coders that work tirelessly in the hackintosh community.

Almost all Asus, GigaByte, MSI, ASRock (Intel and AMD) based mainboards are compatible with macOS but there are few of them that have a better chance for working flawlessly with macOS. Intel CPUs are easier to use but AMD hacks are getting supported by both Clover and OC bootloaders.

Memory modules won't make much difference so you can use almost any brand (I use GSKill, KingSton, ADATA in my hacks) and they won't affect your performance the only thing that matters I the memory's frequency which will affect the performance.

About the GPU you need to know that nVidia GPUs are not supported under macOS Mojave and Catalina and the Pascal GPUs only are supported under macOS Sierra so you need to be careful about them, the RTX series have no support under any version of macOS so don't use them in your hack.

The AMD GPUs are the best options if you need a discreet GPU but there are some limitations under some versions of macOS for instance the R9 and the Vega Series are supported under macOS High Sierra (not sure about the Vega Series), Mojave and Catalina (even Big Sur) but the newer GPUs like the the RX5000 series are limited to newer versions of macOS like Catalina (not sure if they are supported under macOS Mojave).

For the other components like WiFi Cards and Bluetooth devices you need to be a bit careful not all WiFi cards have native support under macOS.

The Power Supply and the Chassis doesn't matter under any versions of macOS.

Good luck on your journey.

P.S.

Topic moved to New User's Lounge since you initially posted in section for (OS X/macOS) New Releases and Updates.

• 2 months later...