Dell Optiplex 9020 with AMD WX 4100 wake up screen issue

iMSannob

9 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I built a Dell Optiplex 9020 with an i7-4790S(w/ HD4600), 32GB RAM, and an AMD Radeon Pro WX4100.

If I connect only one monitor to dGPU's Displayport, the screen became small and flashing after waking up from sleep.

To fix this issue, I have to connect an additional monitor to iGPU's Displayport and set Primary Display to 'Auto' in BIOS.

Then sleep/wake up will function correctly.  It seems that iGPU was not fully activated until I connect a monitor to its Displayport.

With a fully activated iGPU, WX 4100 starts to work correctly.  I don't know why an dGPU has anything to do with an iGPU but 

connecting an additional monitor really don't work to me.  Though I can use a Displayport emulator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PTQ4NH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to emulate a monitor, I can't see neither POST or boot messages with an emulator.  This will be very troublesome when there is any error during system boot.

For the single monitor configuration, could whatevergreen have some kind of fixup to fix the issue?

Thank you.

EFI.zip

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately, if you are on Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura, sleep won’t work with an AMD dGPU. I’ve tried… It was fine until Mojave (maybe Catalina too but I upgraded to BS).

Now using an XPS 8930 with Big Sur and the 9020 is sitting on a shelf.

**Not working neither with Mojave!

Edited by brousseau6933

On 2/27/2023 at 6:58 AM, brousseau6933 said:

Unfortunately, if you are on Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura, sleep won’t work with an AMD dGPU. I’ve tried… It was fine until Mojave (maybe Catalina too but I upgraded to BS).

Now using an XPS 8930 with Big Sur and the 9020 is sitting on a shelf.

Sorry if I misunderstand you. I have good working sleep/wake in Ventura with AMD video. If you meant AMD platform with integrated graphics then it will not work as far as I know.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 10:04 AM, Slice said:

Sorry if I misunderstand you. I have good working sleep/wake in Ventura with AMD video. If you meant AMD platform with integrated graphics then it will not work as far as I know.

Sorry, wasn’t clear. It doesn’t work with the Dell Optiplex 9020, specific to this particular machine. Sleep I mean…

I’ve experienced it again two days ago as I resurrected my Optiplex 9020 for DAW work at my school. Tried my RX460 then my WX5100 and had exactly the same result as @iMSannob, flashing little screen after sleep. Then, I had a flash and remembered this, yes my memory is kinda flakey :)

Back to my GT710 and sleep works fine now.

**Documented somewhere in the Optimac thread at some place I can’t mention…

Edited by brousseau6933

7 hours ago, brousseau6933 said:

Sorry, wasn’t clear. It doesn’t work with the Dell Optiplex 9020, specific to this particular machine. Sleep I mean…

I think the problem is not in the AMD GPU.

14 hours ago, Slice said:

I think the problem is not in the AMD GPU.

Where it is then? Same behavior with Clover or OC starting with Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 9020, as mentioned, experienced by all users of this specific machine and an AMD dGPU. No correct screen after sleep. With Big Sur (tested this fall), not even a flashing garbled little screen, nothing, nada!

Nvidia dGPU works fine and, I would guess but not tested by myself, HD4600.