Cant access to BIOS (Black screen)

Irish_Man

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm having a  problem with BIOS. I hope someone can help me to fix it.

I was able to boot to Wins or Catalina with no issues with OC. When I tried to go to BIOS i got a black screen with white cursor, nothing else (you can see it on the video). I can move cursor until i click right/left button, it freeze.

After reboot i would boot to Wins/Catalina, no issue. My first guess was to reset CMOS by removing a battery. So i did it. And that was bad idea. After that i wasn't able to boot to any OS. I get that black screen because CMOS got reset. Probably there should be a screen with option to set time, date, etc, before you boot to OS. But, I dont see it. I tried to reset CMOS several times, removing the battery ot using a jumper. Nothing helped. I get the same result. I've noticed that resolution is much lower on my 27" screen (2K). Cursor can move to half of the screen, horizontally and vertically. So I started troubleshoot with other components.

1. I tried every RAM stick on each slot, same result. RAM works on another PC.

2. I tried to remove GPU and use iGPU (HDMI and DVI), same result.

3. I tried DP, HDMI, VGA  with GPU, same result. (GPU works fine on another PC)

4. I tried to unplug everything, USB 2, USB 3, SSD's, same result. 

The only thing i haven't tried yet is another power supply, just because i dont have one to test it.

Not sure what was the trigger because so far i was able to get to BIOS with no issue. The only thing that it comes to my mind is that a week ago I came across a software, Gigabyte EasyTune and I played with it. Ususallu, if I want to OC my CPU I do it from BIOS, never used any software. EasyTune did work and OC'ed my CPU and i rebooted my PC many times since then but i never tried to access BIOS until yesterday.

I hope you someone can give some tips of how to fix it. Not sure if BIOS got corrupted because of the software or not.

Tnx

@dzontra

I don't get it are you able to boot into the BIOS finally or not or is it still the black screen, if so the only thing that comes to mind is to create a bootable DOS USB with Rufus and then create a batch file which loads the BIOS flash software automatically, remove all the attached HDD/SSDs and hope that the system boots from the USB disk and once it's booted automatically updates the BIOS and hopefully after reboot you'll be able to get in BIOS settings.

You might need to do some research on how to create the batch file (it's been ages since everyone had to do that) and hope that it fixes the issue otherwise you have to send the mainboard to GigaByte and ask then to fix it for you.

The file that needs to be running the executable files is called Autoexec.bat which is the part of DOS operating system.

• Thanks 1

@Cyberdevs

No, I'm still not able to boot into BIOS. Black screen is still there. I forgot to mention that i tried to boot Mobo CD via USB CD drive but no luck.

Wow, ages, you got that right. I will try to find some info abot how to do it. I have nothing t lose. If you have any useful links that would be great.

Tnx, bud.

8 hours ago, dzontra said:

@Cyberdevs

Just to let you know I got it working, finally.

Nothing worked until I "hotwired" the main BIOS chip pins with a paperclip. 

Thank you very much :thumbsup_anim:

I'm glad that it is working :thumbsup_anim: and you're most welcome.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, htanh034 said:

@Cyberdevs Is there any solution to not repeat? the same error using OC 0.6.0. Using Clover boot or old ver OC normal

Main GIGA Z97M-D3H

I'm sorry but I don't the answer to your question, this might be a defect on those mainboard series. 

On 7/2/2020 at 6:03 PM, dzontra said:

@Cyberdevs

Just to let you know I got it working, finally.

Nothing worked until I "hotwired" the main BIOS chip pins with a paperclip. 

Thank you very much :thumbsup_anim:

Hello @dzontra! I had the same issue with my mobo GA-Z97-HD3 and I figured out the problem was related to using Bootstrap in OpenCore. The moment I changed the booting entry back to Bootx64.efi using EasyUEFI, the issue was gone. I read in the OC configuration that some system don’t react well to bootstrap and this may could have been a side effect of it. Maybe some of the moderators can give us some light about it.

On a side note, my Big Sur beta 2 install booting with OC 0.6.0 in this mobo sometimes freezes after using it for about 15-20 minutes, experiencing the issue while trying to open different apps, not just one in particular. I was wondering if some of you are experiencing the same problem and if it can be just a bug of a beta or if there’s a setting or configuration in OC that needs a fix. I’ll upload my efi folder later today when I access my computer.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 1:58 PM, jlrycm said:

Hello @dzontra! I had the same issue with my mobo GA-Z97-HD3 and I figured out the problem was related to using Bootstrap in OpenCore. The moment I changed the booting entry back to Bootx64.efi using EasyUEFI, the issue was gone. I read in the OC configuration that some system don’t react well to bootstrap and this may could have been a side effect of it. Maybe some of the moderators can give us some light about it.

On a side note, my Big Sur beta 2 install booting with OC 0.6.0 in this mobo sometimes freezes after using it for about 15-20 minutes, experiencing the issue while trying to open different apps, not just one in particular. I was wondering if some of you are experiencing the same problem and if it can be just a bug of a beta or if there’s a setting or configuration in OC that needs a fix. I’ll upload my efi folder later today when I access my computer.

@jlrycmI think you are right. Every time I boot from OC I'm not able to access to BIOS. I have to boot to windows, flash my BIOS again and then I can access to BIOS options. I've had no idea about this until now. Is there a guide how to use EasyUEFI? I downloaded it but not familiar with it.

@Cyberdevs Did you know about this issue? 

Yes I was aware of that bootstrap could cause some issues on some boards but not the current issue that you are facing and I suggest using the BootIceX for managing the UEFI boot settings it's a very easy to use and a handy tool.

You can see more info about it here, the principle is almost the same with OC:

Under the UEFI tab you can edit boot entries and I guess all you need to do is to change the \efi\oc\bootstrap\bootstrap.efi with \efi\boot\bootx64.efi

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Cyberdevs,

I tried to use BOOTICE but it dint work. I just can't switch from bootstrap.efi to bootx64.efi. I change the value but after first reboot it goes back to how it was before.

I select OpenCore and I change EFI\OC\Bootstrap\Bootstrap.efi to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI and hit "Save current boot entry." I change the name from OpenCore to BigSur and after first reboot it says BigSur in the boot menu. But it works only for 1st time. After second reboot it goes back to OpenCore and EFI\OC\Bootstrap\Bootstrap.efi.

1.PNG.3fe7d2e3b91751d04840b2a9f4245706.PNG

Another thing I don't understand is why do I have 2 boot options for the same SSD. one is OpenCore and the other one is UEFI OS. You can see it on the picture. That one is set to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI.

4.PNG.68a0cba28341acabb05ec58b60ac0b5d.PNG

What I'm doing wrong?

@dzontra

Hi there, how are you doing?

According to the OC's manual:

BootProtect: None

Allows the use of Bootstrap.efi inside EFI/OC/Bootstrap instead of BOOTx64.efi, useful for those wanting to either boot with rEFInd or avoid BOOTx64.efi overwrites from Windows. Proper use of this quirks is not be covered in this guide

So I guess if that doesn't do the trick you also need to set BootProtect to None under Misc>Security>BootProtect=None so it won't use Bootstrap.efi in the EFI\OC\Bootstrap\Bootstrap.efi

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 10.15.06 AM.png

I hope this helps.