Need help booting into Mac OS. Lost access during triple boot MAC OS, WIN 10, UBUNTU 20.04

drazer

3 posts in this topic

Excuse for the long post. Just trying to be as clear as possible. Initially I used boot-camp for installing windows 10 alongside Mac OS. And while restart it would automatically boot me into Mac OS and whenever I needed to boot into windows, I used to hold option key while starting and that gave me option to boot into either windows or continue with Mac OS.

After using it for a while, I decided to try out Ubuntu 20.04. So I partitioned my Mac OS Volume and installed Ubuntu manually. Even though I was successful, I realized that I could no longer boot into windows anymore. Auto boot was changed to Ubuntu and if I held option key during restart, I used to get option for booting into Mac (working) and Windows (this too was not working).

Here is where I actually messed up. Today I decided to retain the unused Windows partition space and hence, booted into Mac OS and deleted the windows partition using boot-camp and did a restart. Now I'm unable to log into Mac OS. Auto boot is still set to Ubuntu and no option is shown when using option key. 

I can't do a complete reinstall due some important data in Mac partition and so wanted to know if there is any way to regain my Mac OS boot option without a complete restore? Currently Ubuntu is working fine.  And a major issue is my internal wifi card is broken and Mac-book pro(early 2015 model) is not registering external wifi adapter or USB-to-ETHERNET cable. 

TL;DR: Initially installed Windows 10 using boot-camp in Mac-book pro. Decided to triple install Ubuntu. Succeeded but lost access to windows partition. So decided to free that space with boot-camp and now lost access to Mac OS. Is there any chance to recover the boot option for Mac OS without complete restore?

vEQiS.png

Guest ricoc90

Well, there are users whom have much more knowledge about this than me, however I'd Install rEFInd from within Ubuntu and see if it's able to boot macOS.

Alternatively you could create a bootable rEFInd USB.

Note that SIP has to be disabled

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/

Also, if that doesn't work you could take a look at this:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/disco/man1/fsapfsmount.1.html

Edited by ricoc90

Try install a sofware in Windows to access the macOS partition to copy your data.

And if you wanna use any Linux distro, always install the GRUB at the Linux partition, after the install of Linux boot it and do a sudo update-grub to recognize the Windows partition.