Geomagic and scanning software on Mac

3 posts in this topic

I came up with a problem. I already have Mac Pro which I use for 3d modeling, texturing, etc. 
The thing that now I was faced that I have to work with 3d scanner. Though The scanner has a software for Mac Os but it's only beta. It also seems that I will also need Geomagic Freform or something very similar. I am not sure what would be the best decision, find alternative software (which?). I cannot find alternative scanner, it was not my choice, or use Boot Camp to run windows on my Mac. I' more or less lean to the second option, but i've never tried it and I am not sure about stability. However this will let me to use the full functioning software fro the scanner, not this beta one.. 
At this moment i'm not considering the option to buy separate PC specially for this scanning needs, as I am pretty happy with my Mac, and 2nd machine seeems like a waste of money. 

1 hour ago, Grotto said:

I came up with a problem. I already have Mac Pro which I use for 3d modeling, texturing, etc. 
The thing that now I was faced that I have to work with 3d scanner. Though The scanner has a software for Mac Os but it's only beta. It also seems that I will also need Geomagic Freform or something very similar. I am not sure what would be the best decision, find alternative software (which?). I cannot find alternative scanner, it was not my choice, or use Boot Camp to run windows on my Mac. I' more or less lean to the second option, but i've never tried it and I am not sure about stability. However this will let me to use the full functioning software fro the scanner, not this beta one.. 
At this moment i'm not considering the option to buy separate PC specially for this scanning needs, as I am pretty happy with my Mac, and 2nd machine seeems like a waste of money. 

Using bootcamp is the easier and it's pretty stable, but if you're a Mac user (which seems that you are) might cause some problems for you if you're not familiar with windows. My question is how often do you need to use the Scanner and the app? is it gonna be a lot or is it on occasions?

Thank you for your reply!
Well I used to work with windows, but it was about 5 years ago.
However I usually don't have much troubles to learn new software.

I will scan my customers objects to digitize them. Sometimes for render, sometimes to make pure game ready models. Most of the time I will have to modify scanned models more or less. 
I cannot calculate how often it will be, but I see that the demand by my customers is quite high (or used to be before this coronavirus issue. By the way this temporal drop gives me some time to prepare and modernize my workflow), so I can predict 30-40% of my time will be connected with scanning and postprocessing.