Catalina on Ivy Bridge desktop, let's do it the right way.

luki1979

11 posts in this topic

Why Ivy Bridge, it's old you might ask. Well here is a list of Ivy Bridge Macs, they all supported in Catalina. If it's good enough for Apple than it's good enough for me. 

1317489299_Screenshot2020-01-06at17_16_09.png.1cf12faed69698c0b14e0d8aca636ec4.png

Comparing i5 3570K to current gen i5 9400 there is 19% improvement in the current gen single core performance and 24% in quad core performance. Hardly mind blowing considering we talking 2012 tech here. 

So up to Catalina everything was smooth, I never needed anything else than Clover, Fake SMC as I use Apple WiFi/ Bluetooth and Apple SSD. Sleep worked, display worked, too easy. My spec is in my signature.

When upgrading to Catalina faced black screen as I use AMD Radeon HD 7970 aka R9 280X, this was sorted with introducing Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts in my EFI/..../Other and agdpmod=pikera argument

After installation audio was poping and crackling, also computer struggled with very simple tasks. I've checked with Intel Power Gadget and CPU was only using 4 steps. So I followed this guide

https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-generate-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.96/ to generate custom SSDT.aml. After reboot, no more audio issues.

Than noticed that some USB ports works sporadically, this was sorted with installing newest USBInjectAll kext in L/E and applying patch in clover configurator. 

1305769913_Screenshot2020-01-06at17_57_23.thumb.png.9cf6666dfb9b9b823e14f2be13ce8d5d.png

Also note Black Screen Patch, this eliminated the need for agdpmod=pikera argument and WhateverGreen altogether.

My only cry for help is with the sleep. I can't get the display to wake from sleep. I've tried with Lilu Plugin CPUFriend.kext and HibernationFixup.kext

My current sleep settings:

System-wide power settings:

Currently in use:

standby              0

Sleep On Power Button 1

womp                 0

halfdim              1

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

powernap             0

gpuswitch            2

networkoversleep     0

disksleep            10

standbydelayhigh     86400

sleep                30 (sleep prevented by sharingd)

autopoweroffdelay    14400

hibernatemode        0

autopoweroff         0

ttyskeepawake        1

displaysleep         30

highstandbythreshold 50

standbydelaylow      86400

Hope my findings will help somebody.

Does anybody has any suggestions regarding sleep?

Thanks

• Like 1

I reccomend to download and install Hackintool, which provides a lot of useful instruments to debug and patch Hack.

Hackintool comes with really cool and handy USB ports configuration utility. Of course you need fist to make a cartography of your motherboard USB ports and decide which and how you gonna use. Maximum allowed amount of ports is 15!! I recommend do draw proper diagram with all ports listed. Then you can easily create with Hackintool properly configured ports kext for you mobo. Hackintool has built in instructions too. Once it done and kexts installed, remove USBInjectAll kext.

Please note images are only illustrative.

port-mapping-01.thumb.jpg.0476b3417b2fd7123a4dccc5a2a315a6.jpg

usb-ports-list.jpg.c2a818f8aae0737f1d0d159b31e1e18e.jpg

Edited by holyfield

4 minutes ago, luki1979 said:

This screenshot was before I reduced the ports. Still wake up display don't work. It's most likely Graphic card not initiating after sleep.

Thanks for pointing out. 

21 hours ago, luki1979 said:

one port refuse to work

Sadly you did not specify what that means actually. It's easy to miss something, that's why I suggested to make a diagram of ports of your comp. Please keep in mind that some ports are internal, until you haven't connected anything to these you can just disable these. Download motherboard images/manuals, make a good diagram with all ports listed and test all ports out with USB2/USB3 devices and make your choices and create USB ports configuration with Hackintool.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

don't know AMD Radeon HD 7970, HD7770 use the boot-args radpg=15

you don't need to apply the 15 ports limit path for 7-series XHC (8 ports), EHC1 (8 ports), EHC2 (6 ports) controllers, (# of ports < 15 ports)

I just use USBInjectAll injecting all the ports, the use of SSDT-UIAC.aml is also really not necessary, actually ACPI/DSDT rename the device EHC1/2 to EH01/2 is good enough

your problem is coming from the AMD graphics card

I am using Kepler based GT 640, Z77N-WIFI, i5-3570K, iMac13,2 power management just works OOB

• Like 1