[SUCCESS] HUANANZHI X79-ZD3 + Xeon E5-2689 [Mojave 10.14.6] [Big Sur 11.2.3] [Monterey 12.0.1] [Sonoma beta 7]

verdazil

138 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, verdazil said:

MB: Huananzhi X79-ZD3

CPU: Intel® Xeon E5-2689, 1.2-3.6 GHz

Chipset: Sandy Bridge-E Q65 (C600/C200)

Memory: Samsung 32 Gb (4 x 8 Gb) ECC/REG, 1866 MHz, DDR3

Video: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 570 (4 Gb)

Monitor: BENQ-BL2711U + LG TV 42LF650V

SSD: 2.5" SATA SSD 250 Gb Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: Seagate 2.0 Tb

I don't know the algorithm how to choose value TscSyncTimeout correctly. 

Yes, I tried, it doesn't work for me.

Thank you. I tried to use the value TscSyncTimeout = 525000, but it doesn't work for my specs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A guaranteed solution has been found to resolve CPU core synchronization error when booting macOS 12 and newer. (Credits to @Slice)

The solution is to edit DSDT.aml like this:

1. Remove "redundant" entries for non-existent CPUs

image.png.56fc805a036cf66d83157b3dac4a3eef.png

2. Remove "redundant" entries for non-existent CPUs threads

image.thumb.png.48f53c98183a9bf43edc9e088dc345b8.png

3. For all real CPU threads, do the following edit:

image.png.c697add38b41075e6d060232af42749b.png

Notes:

- use attached VoodooTSCSync.kext version and DSDT sample.

- use OpenCore parameter UEFI --> Quirks --> TscSyncTimeout (number) 500000

VoodooTSCSync.kext.zip DSDT.aml.zip

Hi, @verdazil

Have you ever a problem with audio?

Sound is present as startup due to AudioDxe.efi. But when the macOS  started I have no working audio device.

Neither with AppleALC nor with VoodooHDA.

Neither in Monterey nor in Mojave.

What I am doing wrong? May be npci=0x3000 is a culprit?  

24 minutes ago, Slice said:

Hi, @verdazil

Have you ever a problem with audio?

Sound is present as startup due to AudioDxe.efi. But when the macOS  started I have no working audio device.

Neither with AppleALC nor with VoodooHDA.

Neither in Monterey nor in Mojave.

What I am doing wrong? May be npci=0x3000 is a culprit?  

Hi, @Slice

Audio works perfectly fine in all Mojave - Monterey with AppleALC. Now I looked into my config and saw that there are conflicting audio settings there, apparently the boot-arg has a higher priority and works. Now there is no access to the computer to check that is redundant. 

image.png.2fa12b121074d34e128c3609f54ed79c.png

Edited by verdazil

20 hours ago, verdazil said:

A guaranteed solution has been found to resolve CPU core synchronization error when booting macOS 12 and newer. (Credits to @Slice)

The solution is to edit DSDT.aml like this:

1. Remove "redundant" entries for non-existent CPUs

image.png.56fc805a036cf66d83157b3dac4a3eef.png

2. Remove "redundant" entries for non-existent CPUs threads

image.thumb.png.48f53c98183a9bf43edc9e088dc345b8.png

3. For all real CPU threads, do the following edit:

image.png.c697add38b41075e6d060232af42749b.png

Notes:

- use attached VoodooTSCSync.kext version and DSDT sample.

- use OpenCore parameter UEFI --> Quirks --> TscSyncTimeout (number) 500000

VoodooTSCSync.kext.zip 9.97 kB · 3 downloads DSDT.aml.zip 9.37 kB · 4 downloads

hello @verdazil , I have followed your hints, but I could not remove 'redundant' as you mentioned above from DSDT file. I am appreciate if you could take a look my DSDT file, and please let me know how could I modify it. Thanks a lot.

DSDT.aml

14 minutes ago, verdazil said:

@Zuja4701, your CPU Intel XEON E5-2699v4 doesn't need this method. It should normally work with CpuTscSync.kext. See https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/341600-success-huananzhi-x79-zd3-xeon-e5-2689-mojave-10146-big-sur-1123-monterey-1201/?do=findComment&comment=2782711

@verdazil, thank you. I have checked my CPUID that has "MSR_IA32_TSC_ADJUST". I can not install Monterey and Ventura without cpus=1. But there is no problem with Big Sur. I am really appreciate if you could give me some advice. 

Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 11.41.10 PM.png

Xeon-E5-2699v4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DELL T5810 (X99, with 2666V3) having the same booting problem under Monterey, due to "Non-Monotonic Time".

Per @Slice's suggestion, I've tried to modify the DSDT for attempting a "similar" fix. It wasn't successful.

Here is the trail of what I did:

5 hours ago, BillDH2k said:

I have a DELL T5810 (X99, with 2666V3) having the same booting problem under Monterey, due to "Non-Monotonic Time".

Per @Slice's suggestion, I've tried to modify the DSDT for attempting a "similar" fix. It wasn't successful.

Here is the trail of what I did:

Hello @BillDH2k and @Slice, I have the same problem with Dell T7910 ( E5-2699v4), it works well on Big Sur. But I can't boot without cpus=1 (kernel panic) on Monterey/Ventura. I do not know how to solve that problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

@Zuja4701 Unfortunately, no solution yet.

My understanding, based on OC developer's comment, is that the Dell's BIOS failed to initialize the TSC synch properly, and cause the kernel to panic under Monterey. With a proper BIOS code, this could be avoided, like the cases of HP Z440/840 machines, where no TSC kext is needed to run Monterey. May be a smart guy could figure out a BIOS mod to fix this. I also tried an EFI tool that supposed to perform a TSC Reset, from a UEFI shell, before starting the macOS from the OC picker. But it wasn't successful.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, Zuja4701 said:

@verdazil, thank you. I have checked my CPUID that has "MSR_IA32_TSC_ADJUST". I can not install Monterey and Ventura without cpus=1. But there is no problem with Big Sur. I am really appreciate if you could give me some advice. 

Xeon-E5-2699v4.jpeg

On the screen I see AppleACPICPU: ProcessorID =120. It meas you make no DSDT patch to restrict the number of CPUs.

3 hours ago, Slice said:

On the screen I see AppleACPICPU: ProcessorID =120. It meas you make no DSDT patch to restrict the number of CPUs.

@Slice, thank you for your hints. I tried to add DSDT and generate SSDT with ssdtPRgen, but it is still not work. Please take a look my EFI if you have time. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0053.JPG

EFI.zip

5 hours ago, BillDH2k said:

@Zuja4701 Unfortunately, no solution yet.

My understanding, based on OC developer's comment, is that the Dell's BIOS failed to initialize the TSC synch properly, and cause the kernel to panic under Monterey. With a proper BIOS code, this could be avoided, like the cases of HP Z440/840 machines, where no TSC kext is needed to run Monterey. May be a smart guy could figure out a BIOS mod to fix this. I also tried an EFI tool that supposed to perform a TSC Reset, from a UEFI shell, before starting the macOS from the OC picker. But it wasn't successful.

@BillDH2kYes, I tried many methods, but it does not work with my PC. Please let me know if you can solve this problem. Have a nice day!

2 hours ago, Zuja4701 said:

@Slice, thank you for your hints. I tried to add DSDT and generate SSDT with ssdtPRgen, but it is still not work. Please take a look my EFI if you have time. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0053.JPG

EFI.zip 3.95 MB · 0 downloads

@BillDH2kYes, I tried many methods, but it does not work with my PC. Please let me know if you can solve this problem. Have a nice day!

You are using CpuTscSunc.kext which is paniced in Monterey. I tell about VoodooTSCSync.kext.