Very strange USB Issue on MacBook Pro 2012

susteve

1 post in this topic

Hello, I am new here, so I apologize if I've chosen the wrong subforum for this question. 

I am scratching my head a bit on an issue with a clients MacBook pro.  He was having USB connection issues and claimed the laptop wasn't detecting any USB connected to it. 

Figuring it was a failed USB port, I took it in but ended up just feeling more confused after doing some diagnostics. 

It came in loaded with Catalina, a recent upgrade spurned the beginning of the issues the client told me. 

I decided to revert it back to the default OS in the base recovery image, which is Yosemite. 

Upon finishing the install, I found that the USB port was in fact working again. Figuring I had resolved the issue, I updated it back to Catalina just to be met with the same issue upon reinstalling. 

SMH 

Tried nvram, pram, and smc reset each to no avail.  

One thing to note is that during boot, the USB is getting power as it lights up when connected during boot up. 

But the ports are dead as soon as it boots into the operating system. 

I have a strong feeling that this is a driver issue. I tried unloading and reloading the USB IO kext, with no noticable change. 

Is anyone here familiar with this issue? Would there be any other kext related troubleshooting i can perform ? Is it possible to revert to the kext used in Yosemite on catalina ?

One last thing to note, on Yosemite the USB was functioning 100%. But I did get a strange notification that the USB ports were using power even when there wasn't any connected to it. Either way, I find it very very odd that it works perfectly in Yosemite. 

Thanks in advance

Steve