No Audio in Windows 10 with dual boot clover Catalina 10.15

digivish

11 posts in this topic

Hi All - quick thing - I have a NUC 8i7BEH with 32GB RAM and 2 x 1TB SSD drives. Each drive has its own OS - Windows 10 and Catalina 10.15.

Clover works well - Catalina Boots, so does Windows.

Catalina - has sound over HDMI (to my monitor's speakers)

Windows - no audio device found - It does show Realtek and Intel Display Drivers - but the speaker has a red"x" and in Devices, there is no entry for Microphone Array under Audio Input/Output. It does, however, show Intel display over the HDMI - but actually no sound.

I have tried reinstalling Realtek drivers - now here's the thing...when it installs, it first uninstalls existing Realtek drivers - at this stage (and it's important) the sound starts working - as if uninstalling did the trick. As part of the installing, I have to reboot and upon reboot, it actually reinstalls the Realtek drivers. After that, I'm back to square 1. Unsure if it's the config.plist or boot args in clover. But something with Clover for sure.

I have tested this by removing the Mac Drive with clover and just booting directly to Windows 10 bootloader and everything works as it should, I have sound over HDMI and the audio device shows. Just not when I boot with Clover.

has anyone experienced this and have thoughts or pointers.

Thanks a ton!

Edited by digivish
Added Tags

Very strange, I never saw it happen.

Does this also happen if you turn off macOS and turn on Windows through Clover? I'm talking about shutting down without rebooting.

Are you using AppleALC or VoodooHDA? Try switching to each other.

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

Erm... clearly the kexts you use to get audio in Catalina can have no impact in Windows. So switching from one to another is not going to change anything...

If you only lose audio in Windows when booting through Clover, it's obviously a Cover-related matter and you need to look into the Clover modules you've installed; I must admit it's very strange because what you describes leads to think that audio device is disabled in Windows and I've never heard of such impact from booting through Clover.

This being said, I suggest you state the version of Clover you use and the options/modules you installed so that we all know what you currently have.

Thanks. The Clover version is 5096 and a full dump is attached in the post above.

Edited by digivish

14 minutes ago, digivish said:

Thanks. File attached.

debug_29748.zip

Just renaming AppleACL.kext to AppleALC-temp.kext doesn't disable it.

image.png.12dbe41bf86f0eae12c705457077dd87.png

Remove from the folder and try again. If it still doesn't work. Remove the VoodooHDA and put the AppleALC back.

Do both tests by removing CodecCommander just in case.

I don't particularly believe that this is your problem (two Kexts of audio at the same time), but it doesn't hurt to try ... Apart from that I found no problems with your files.

42 minutes ago, ludufre said:

Just renaming AppleACL.kext to AppleALC-temp.kext doesn't disable it.

image.png.12dbe41bf86f0eae12c705457077dd87.png

Remove from the folder and try again. If it still doesn't work. Remove the VoodooHDA and put the AppleALC back.

Do both tests by removing CodecCommander just in case.

I don't particularly believe that this is your problem (two Kexts of audio at the same time), but it doesn't hurt to try ... Apart from that I found no problems with your files.

That didn't work. It's strange because in Windows 10, when I start Youtube, there is no sound and the video shows a playback error. Clearly some issue with the way drivers is getting screwy. 

Device Manager does not list Microphone Array (the NUC has a microphone) which has Realtek drivers. That has always been a clue for me to know if the sound will work or not. Whenever I reinstalled drivers (as described above) for the time before reboot, Microphone Array would show and then sound would work through the HDMI monitor and youtube would play.