Z77N-WIFI-2600K - Realtek Gbe 8168 not working

NOTORIOUS VR

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

After some trial and error and much reading I was finally able to make it into the installer.  Unfortunately for whatever reason I cannot get my NIC working so I cannot continue the installation.  It doesn't recognize the NIC at all - It's a Realtek 8168 which should be supported especially with Mieze's Realtek GbE driver kext which I have the latest version of.  I have also tried many other kexts without success.

The NIC works fine under Win10.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to try next.  Attached is my config.plist - maybe there is something in there that I am missing as well?

config.plist

HW_ID-8168.jpg

I've tried everything I can think of... adding and removing options to my plist too just to make things simplified...

But nothing I do will let Mojave recognize the NIC at all (physically).  Seems like from what I've read I shouldn't be having this issue, so I am stumped until someone wiser than I can help lol

Attached is my latest plist just for completion

config.plist

I have seen it, but I have no idea what to do with the files from your github

That said I have finally found out how to get a log/debug file going...

And I see that it is skipping the kext injection for the NIC.  Why I have no idea.. searching for the issue gets me no where unfortunately except for people saying I shouldn't used Detect for injection but set to Yes.  That didn't work either though.

snippet of log:

21:813  0:024  Preparing kexts injection for arch=x86_64 from EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other
21:833  0:019  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext (v.2.2.2)
21:845  0:011  Skipping kext injection by OSBundleRequired : EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
21:854  0:009  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\WhateverGreen.kext (v.1.2.7)
21:905  0:050  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\RealtekRTL8111.kext (v.2.2.2)
21:917  0:012  Skipping kext injection by OSBundleRequired : EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\RealtekRTL8111.kext
21:926  0:008  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\Lilu.kext (v.1.3.5)
21:956  0:029  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\FakeSMC.kext (v.3.5.2)

complete debug log is attached as well

debug.log

Edited by NOTORIOUS VR

This is not a driver issue because the driver doesn't load at all. There are several possible causes why this might happen, for example:

• Driver not properly installed or another version of the driver is installed in /L/E or /S/L/E
  • NIC disabled in BIOS

1 hour ago, Mieze said:

This is not a driver issue because the driver doesn't load at all. There are several possible causes why this might happen, for example:

• Driver not properly installed or another version of the driver is installed in /L/E or /S/L/E
  • NIC disabled in BIOS

I was starting to think that it's simply skipping the kext because it doesn't see the NIC physically, why that I have no idea.

NIC is enabled in the BIOS (and working perfectly in Win10), and the only Realtek kext installed under EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other is currently yours (although I've tried almost all the ones online that I can find).  I'm not sure what /L/E or /S/L/E means I think that might have to do with an installed MacOS system? this is not the case here, I'm not even able to get the installer to go because it doesn't see the NIC.

Looking at the debug.log two things stand out out me

1. it see's the NIC's MAC address correctly:

8:577  0:905  === [ GetMacAddress ] =====================================
8:917  0:340  MAC address of LAN #0= 94:DE:80:61:40:64:

2. the NIC is being detected along with the correct HW ID:

0:102  0:000  PCI (00|03:00.00) : 10EC 8168 class=020000
0:102  0:000   - LAN: 0 Vendor=Realtek

I just do not understand why it would skip loading the kext in this case, it seems like your driver is looking for the string above is it not?

<key>Driver_Version</key>
			<string>2.3.0d5</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>RTL8111</string>
			<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
			<string>0x816810ec 0x81681186 0x250210ec 0x260010ec</string>

Edited by NOTORIOUS VR

As my driver is never loaded, it doesn't look for anything. Anyway, there must be something wrong in your EFI folder. Maybe the kext is damaged or it doesn't match the OS version you are booting. Keep in mind that 2.3.0d5 is for Mojave, using High Sierra or below requires an older version of the kext.

2 hours ago, Mieze said:

As my driver is never loaded, it doesn't look for anything. Anyway, there must be something wrong in your EFI folder. Maybe the kext is damaged or it doesn't match the OS version you are booting. Keep in mind that 2.3.0d5 is for Mojave, using High Sierra or below requires an older version of the kext.

I"m not sure what that could be.. do you have anything you can share for me to check?  I am in fact attempting to install Mojave.

I have attempted to make the installer 2 different ways and both ways do not load the driver.

One using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] under a Mojave VM.

And the other way: https://internet-install.gitbook.io/macos-internet-install/

I simply cannot see anything that I am doing wrong, and am out of ideas of where to look or what to try.

1 hour ago, Mieze said:

Install without the driver. Once the system is up and running, it'll be easier to find out what is going on.

Again I seem to be missing something here. How do I install Mojave without an internet connection?  I cannot get any further than the initial menu when tells me it cannot connect to the servers.

IMG_20191006_193414.jpg

As you are trying to install Mojave, put the kexts into the 10.14 folder where they belong. At least this is what I'm doing and it works. Also make sure that they aren't damaged (for unknown reasons this happens sometimes).

Mieze

12 hours ago, Mieze said:

As you are trying to install Mojave, put the kexts into the 10.14 folder where they belong. At least this is what I'm doing and it works. Also make sure that they aren't damaged (for unknown reasons this happens sometimes).

Mieze

So reluctantly I tried what you suggested and that didn't work either.

Every other guide/place I've seen kexts for the install process is in the other folder so I was sure this wasn't going to work, the kext was skipped once again.

22:411  0:024  Preparing kexts injection for arch=x86_64 from EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.14
22:420  0:009  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.14\RealtekRTL8111.kext (v.2.3.0d5)
22:433  0:012  Skipping kext injection by OSBundleRequired : EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.14\RealtekRTL8111.kext

I'm a little tired of just spinning my wheels and suggestions that are like throwing darts blindly, I really don't believe that people got things working by just random suggestions of try this or try that.

If someone can suggest anything that would actually help diagnose this issue, or requires logs that I don't already have, or maybe hint at an idea what exactly is happening when the logs show:

Skipping kext injection by OSBundleRequired

I've shown the system see's the NIC and the MAC of the NIC.  It's simply not loading the driver and the OS is unaware of it once the installer has booted:

IMG_20191007_175136.jpg

Edited by NOTORIOUS VR

Just now, Mieze said:

@NOTORIOUS VR Frankly, why are you asking me because this is not a driver issue but a problem with Clover?

Mieze

I'm not sure what the issue is... I'm asking you because it was by suggestion of another forum member.

I personally am not convinced it is a clover issue, but if you suggest this is the case.  Do you know where I would be able to ask someone knowledgeable about Clover in regards to this issue?

The error message "

Skipping kext injection by OSBundleRequired : EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\RealtekRTL8111.kext

indicates that the kext is damaged. This would also be a reason why it fails.

5 minutes ago, Mieze said:

The error message "

Skipping kext injection by OSBundleRequired : EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\RealtekRTL8111.kext

indicates that the kext is damaged. This would also be a reason why it fails.

Unfortunately all the 8111 kexts that I have tried do this, so it's highly unlikely that all my other kexts are ok but every single 8111 kext I've attempted to use is bad.

Different kexts, from different sources.  That to me rules out the kext.

It could very well be an issue with clover.  Or of course something with my NIC that isn't obvious at this time.  I just would love to know a better way to diagnose this situation.

Thanks anyway, I've come across a thread on this forum about Clover problems and posted there to see if anyone can help further diagnose the issue and maybe understand what is happening.  Unfortunately I am not easily finding anything that will narrow it down and what to do to get people smarter than I the info they require to assist.