USB Issue, Works, but... doesn't work?

PatS

3 posts in this topic

Well, I have OSX running natively on my computer (10.4.8)

And everything runs GREAT, I have QE, CI, everything...

One problem:

My USB is working... sort of...

I have my USB Keyboard Plugged into one port. My Keyboard is a Logitech G15, so it has 2 USB ports built into it. My USB Mouse (Some random mouse by HP) and it worked. Well, last night, while my computer was running, I unplugged my mouse from my PC itself, and hooked it into one of the ports on the keyboard... It worked, instantly, I could use my mouse. So I thought everything was fine... I plugged in my iPod to my keyboard, earlier, and got a no USB power message, because the ports on the keyboard are un-powered... So I unplugged it, and plugged into my PC. Nothing... Didn't start charging... computer didn't say anything... just nothing... like I never plugged it in...

So that made me curious, and I tried it with my camera...

In keyboard - Picked up, pictures loaded into iPhoto

In PC - Nothing.... Again...

I just switched my mouse back to the PC plug, and nothing happened, wouldn't work... put it back into the keyboard... worked right away...

SO, I was basically wondering if this had been fixed, or if it even happens to anyone else? I tried to install the USB patch on the 10.4.8 JaS Re-seed, but that made nothing work so I had to re-install everything... So... I don't know what to do

I've searched using as many different terms as I could think of and had no luck...

Anyone know how I can fix this? If I start the computer with the mouse plugged into the back, it works BTW... but if I unplug it, and plug it back in... nothing...

So anyways... thanks in advance as always...

PatS

There shouldn't be a problem after a restart. It's related to Mac OS, not your hackintosh. Sometimes it happens on real Macs.

Just plug your iPod and other power-consuming USB stuff into a port on the mobo. (not your keyboard)

Also, check your mobo's manual for the correct jumper settings of USB power.

The problem with the mobo isn't power, it's that it doesn't recognize that anything has been plugged in.

But I figured it out... at least a temporary fix!

I realized that it was picking up my keyboard USB ports as a hub... and the hub worked... And I knew that things worked if they were plugged in when the computer first started, just not if you plugged them in after boot....

SO I grabbed an extra hub I had... and it works.. anything plugged into the hub (including my iPod, camera, w/e) is instantly picked up and works! So long as the hub stays plugged in, it won't stop working...

The only downfall is that if I unplug the hub and plug it back in while the computer is on, it stops picking up anything again, like before with regular devices... but after a quick restart (or in my case Shut Down and hitting the power button again) it is picked back up and works again...

So if anyone is having a problem with USB, just buy a little (or big) USB Hub and use that as your ports... I'm using a little $15 Belkin 4 port hub that draws any power from the USB port you plug it into... so items that need USB power DO work.. like an iPod....