Random freezing (HP Z440 X99)

Discovery

22 posts in this topic

I have a recently Hackintoshed HP Z440 created using a vanilla install, running Mac OS 10.14.6. It has a Xeon CPU with RX 580 graphics and 8GB of RAM.

It has been running without any major issues except for the one described in this thread, except I am still in the process of getting audio consistently working via AppleALC. On occasion, sometimes a few times within an hour, sometimes only once or twice per day, the machine will lock up. If audio is playing, the sound will start looping. The cursor locks up, and *usually* the SATA activity LED on the front of the PC remains solid on. The machine has to be shut down with the power button, and upon rebooting, my open applications restore and its largely as if nothing happened.

I cannot find any useful information in Console, nor does it generate any error messages/kernel panic warnings. This has made troubleshooting this particular problem rather agonizing.

This issue may sound like one you've experienced or seen in other threads. There seems to be no shortage of people with random freezing issues. I've tried as many different remedies that people have reported. Here's what I can recall I've tried so far:

• Check BIOS settings for "Aggressive Link Power Management" - this does not seem to be an option in my BIOS. I did, however, disable a similar-sounding power management option but it has not changed anything.
  • BIOS updated to latest version.
  • Attempted disabling TRIM via trimforce (still shows as on in System Report though?)
  • Disabled putting hard disks to sleep in System Preferences
  • Run memory tests to verify good RAM

What should I try next? There are many people using my same hardware without issues, so I'm not inclined to think its a hardware issue.

ConfigCopy.plist

5 minutes ago, PPCnostalgic said:

Can you acquire an inexpensive Nvidia NVS 300?  (about 10 Euros/ USD) You can test with that super cheap card and then keep it as spare

I actually have an NVS 310 sitting in a bin around here somewhere; I thought I had read that wouldn't work in Mojave but now that I'm trying to verify that I can't seem to confirm that theory. Any suggestions before I throw it in and hope for the best?

42 minutes ago, PPCnostalgic said:

Go with the NVS 310. Download the appropriate kexts from here:

https://github.com/chris1111/Fix-Old-NVIDIA-macOS-Mojave

BTW: I'm writing to you with a PC Mac OS Mojave and a NVS 300 fully working (OpenGL)

system.jpg.75e6e681092482672074cb4e16538422.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

I installed the kexts from the provided link and removed the RX 580, then dropped in the NVS 310. The system boots to the FileVault login screen, and after entering my password it hangs with the loading bar mostly incomplete.

In verbose mode, I get "kextd stall[0] (60s); 'NVDAHal', NVDA,Display-A', 'IDHDACodecFunction'" repeatedly.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:00 PM, MaLd0n said:

use iMacPro1,1 smbios and check if work, the best solution is ever use intel quick sync but ur proc don't have igpu

Ended up trying this back with the original GPU and a clean install and everything seems stable so far (knock on wood!) including audio now working whereas it wasn't before. Time will tell.

Edit: Did not resolve for me; details in follow-up post.

Edited by Discovery

Well, it appears I've spoken too soon. Used the machine for a couple hours yesterday and about four hours this morning, and just experienced a crash with the same symptoms as before. I was watching a video and the machine locked up, audio began looping, and a hard reset was required. Upon starting up my applications and windows were as I left them. Nothing logged in system.log.

A copy of my config.plist is attached.

Drivers and kexts:

drivers.png.7441ad42f91da3dc4ebefb75d409cbcc.pngkexts.png.862cf5605b64093d0d3a400d1ac9085c.png

config.plist

On 9/7/2019 at 10:56 AM, Discovery said:

Well, it appears I've spoken too soon. Used the machine for a couple hours yesterday and about four hours this morning, and just experienced a crash with the same symptoms as before. I was watching a video and the machine locked up, audio began looping, and a hard reset was required. Upon starting up my applications and windows were as I left them. Nothing logged in system.log.

A copy of my config.plist is attached.

Drivers and kexts:

drivers.png.7441ad42f91da3dc4ebefb75d409cbcc.pngkexts.png.862cf5605b64093d0d3a400d1ac9085c.png

config.plist

Use it

EFI.zip

reboot and extract one dump

--Run_Me
RunMe.app
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9wmIfGLe3A

6 hours ago, Discovery said:

Hardware acceleration is fully supported
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]

looks good

u have a overclock?

Since it felt like I was running out of things to try, I tried once again to follow @PPCnostalgic's suggestion to try another GPU. I installed the legacy NVidia drivers and popped in the NVS 310.

The machine appeared to boot normally. Full normal color on the FileVault login screen, but once it boots to desktop its missing full color range. (See photo attached.) Ignoring that issue, I attempted to use the system and it froze within about ten minutes. Starting to lose hope on Mojave running on this system at all, despite the fact it seems like it should run fine.

What else can I check? I'm running out of ideas fast.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.11.50 AM.png

• 4 months later...