Why Hackintosh? - IE.. What can't I do ?

dulrich1227

4 posts in this topic

Hi, New here  , long time PC builder(win) and Mac user been tinkering with PCs for @ 20years (take them apart, build them etc).  I have now become increasingly frustrated with not being able to update my current MacBookpro.  Reading through the HOW TOs and videos I feel pretty confident I can get the build together and load the OS.  My question is if I go with all known working parts, that have drivers etc.. will the experience be the same as just using a Mac per say ..  what will not work?  I assume by using all compatible parts it will work just as it but any thing I am missing or didn't read right?  I would like to build a high powered desktop for running home studio use and than with either a win bootcamp or vmware ..  any input would be great thank you ! love the site and what you all do . 

Hi  :)

If you're expecting to have the same experience as with your mackintosh, then the answer is NO.

BUT... Even though many people think that hackintosh is THE way to have a cheap macintosh (which is false), the main goal about hackintosh is to understand how a non-certified Apple's hardware running on macOS, which includes reading a lot before starting your first installation.

So, if you are one of those who likes this kind of challenge, then your experience on hackintosh will be very enriched.

Otherwise, no need to waste your time.

BR

fantomas

• Like 6

Thank you for the reply, I am definitely up for the challenge.  I am definitely not a power Mac user I just like the OS I think its cleaner.  I wouldn't expect. the same experience but I would like to be able to get something things  to work such as logic, iTunes, office for Mac etc,  and maybe an audio peripheral by UAD ..  I probably wipe my Mac book every few months so not looking for something long term either if that makes sense knowing will need to tweak and update.   I would like to buy the parts knowing I am making a useable desktop hackinstosh not a box im going to turn into win10 cause I couldn't get some things to work ..   

If I had worked at my job instead of spending the time I spend on my hacks, I could have easily bought a dozen MacBook Pro's.  My main goal here is to learn how the operating system works with different types of hardware.  Secondly, I don't like anyone telling me what I can't do with my own computer.  That said, I have focused on making MY perfect laptop, which is not the same as Apple's.  

I like a 17-inch screen.  Apple doesn't have one.  I like 32 GB RAM so that I can run a high powered virtual machine while running macOS, Apple didn't offer that option when I bought my laptop.  I like having a ton of storage space for my downloads/movies/TV shows/multiple operating systems (1 TB SSD x 2 TB SHDD).  Can't get that on a Mac laptop.  I still like having a DVD drive on an ultra-thin laptop.  Can't get that on a Mac that has 32 GB RAM.  

My goal was not to build a computer that will run as good as a Mac.  My goal was to make a laptop that surpasses what I could buy from Apple.  I did that and everything works very well except those things that HP (my laptop maker) doesn't include (because all computer makers don't want to allow their users to get the maximum performance from their hardware). In my case, that means that I had to disable my Nvidia GPU in macOS because HP doesn't allow me to switch GPU's in the BIOS and I am stuck with the Synaptics Clickpad. which is nowhere near as good as the MacBook Pro trackpad. My speakers are also inferior to most laptop speakers, PC and Mac.  As you can imagine, it's not too hard to work around the shortcomings in my laptop and I get to have a virtual machine of Windows 10 that I use for work running side-by-side with my macOS and the performance on both is superb with the i7 processor and 32 GB RAM. 

P.S. - I used to have a NVMe drive as my system drive (which Apple does not/did not offer) but I found that it ran too hot in an ultra-thin laptop.  The SSD drive runs much cooler with very little noticeable read/write speed difference.

I hope this gives you some idea of what you can accomplish here.

• Like 3