Clover for legacy USB Catalina

Vyzantion

19 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me, please, what is the best Clover installation pen driver for Catalina for legacy systems? I try to make the installation pen drive after using the dosdude1 patcher and, although the pen drive is listed in Clover, on boot it shows just a small, white line in the upper screen. @Slice and not only, you haven\t opted out Ctalian for legacy, right?

I have put the patched Catalina with the dosdude1 patch without Clover or FakeSMC on the pen drive, to see fifth Clover installed on the main partition with Mojave would be able to see the Catalina installer and boot it. The same thing.

@ Slice 

I have performed several experiments

Clover does not even start to boot if the Catalina installer is patched with the dosdude1 patch, in any circumstance, just the underscore line character in the upper left corner, after the device is selected. If I install Clover into the drive with un-patched Catalina installer, after selecting from the Clover menu, it says that the OS is not supported on this hardware, an error the comes when the systems definitions are not proper. I could not find a way to chance System Definitions from Clover Configurator, to choose a different model.

Edited by Vyzantion

I have created a pen drive using the patch of Julian Marius Fairfax from RMC ( https://sites.google.com/view/rmc-team/home ) , installed Clover and FakeSMC and the Catalina installer booted to the end.

In one of the experiments, before this new patch, I have used, just to testing sake, a custo edition of Clover I have used in the past and ditched it a few months ago. It was based on an slightly older Clover and I managed to boot the un-patched Catalina, but the internal hard-drives were completely invisible to the Catalina installer, even in Disk Utility. Now, after using the RMC patch (a fork of the dosdude1 patch, more or less), Clover+FakeSMC were able to boot the installer to the end, but the same issue: the internal hard-drives are invisible. This shows that, most-likely, this issue is in Clover itself, not in the custo version used for experiments of the in the RMC patch. 

My specs are:

ASUS P5P41TED

Intel Core2Duo E8500

2 gb ram ddr3

Nvidia GeForce 6200

There are two internal hard-drives: A main one, SATA, with Mojave installed, formatted in APFS, and a secondary (slave) one, on ATA, formate into HFS+, for documents.

I attach the content of the EFI partition, if this helps.

EFI 1.zip

AHCI is enabled for SATA in BIOS, Clover sees the drives in the boot menu, but the Catalina installer does not see them, once booted. The ATA secondary drive is seen by macOS, once installed, up to Mojave.

Edited by Vyzantion

@Slice

On Clover Version 5033, the issue still present. Booted the installed Mojave from the updated pen drive, it works fine, as usual. But the Catalina installer on the pen drive does not see the internal hard-drives, not even the main, SATA drive, with Mojave on it. AHCI is enabled on the BIOS, as I said. The content of the EFI partition of the pen drive updated to Clover 5033 attached.

EFI 3.zip

Edited by Vyzantion

Hey, what do you want? nvidia 6200 is not supported in macOS any version.

ATA controllers

3:655  0:000  PCI (00|00:1F.01) : 8086 27DF class=01018A
3:655  0:000  PCI (00|00:1F.02) : 8086 27C0 class=01018F

supported in 10.7 not more. There is no SATA AHCI devices in your dump.

Don't try to boot Catalina.

11 hours ago, Slice said:

Hey, what do you want? nvidia 6200 is not supported in macOS any version.

ATA controllers

3:655  0:000  PCI (00|00:1F.01) : 8086 27DF class=01018A
3:655  0:000  PCI (00|00:1F.02) : 8086 27C0 class=01018F

supported in 10.7 not more. There is no SATA AHCI devices in your dump.

Don't try to boot Catalina.

I know Nvidia GeForce 6200 is not supported, but it works, including Mojave. I do not think it is the cause of the issue.

The patched Mojave can be installed and runs at a decent score on this hardware. Both the installer and the installed OS run. In order to complete the install, the dosdude1 patch is required, but to boot the installer a Metal compatible graphics card it is not required, I have tested this since last year.

The Catalina installer boots on this hardware too, both unpatched and patched with RMC patch (Main developer Julian Fairfax from MacRumors). On both cases the installer gets to the install GUI, but no hard-drives are visible, neither the one on SATA or the one on ATA, on neither Disk Utility with full view enabled (the physical hard-drives are absent, not the just he partitions on them) or in the Catalina install, although the pen drive boots up to the install GUI. This is a striking difference from Mojave. If it were a lack of AHCI-SATA issue, I suppose Mojave should have the same problem, right? But it does not, Mojave is fine. The installed Mojave boots up fine even using the Clover from the Catalina installer pen drive.

I have performed an F2 boot test on the installed Mojave. I have uploaded the content of the EFI partition on this link:

https://we.tl/t-cQ0cmqnrgH

The first 3 EFI archives on this thread were from Catalina, this one is from Mojave. If compared EFI3 with EFI4, the nature of the issue might become visible. It is the same hardware.
Catalina should work. The installer boots up. This seems to be the only thing preventing it from being installed on it. Ir may be a more widespread issue, at least on legacy motherboards.

Edited by Vyzantion

See ioreg in Mojave and find ATA controller. It may be drived by some kext present in your Mojave installation but not compatible with Catalina.

Nvidia 6200 will work in VESA mode. Very slow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slice said:

See ioreg in Mojave and find ATA controller. It may be drived by some kext present in your Mojave installation but not compatible with Catalina.

Nvidia 6200 will work in VESA mode. Very slow.

No extra kext added by me in the installed Mojave that I have no added in the Catalina installer too, except for the HWSensors and Voodoo HDA Audio. The first ones are unlikely to have an impact, and the last one I am sure does not. And on the installation pen drive for Mojave are absent and it works. So would it mean that Mojave has a build-in kext that Catalina lacks?

Edited by Vyzantion

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...