Tap and hold to Drag function in trackapd not working.

macq

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

As the title says, My laptop's tap and hold to drag is not working since first beta.

Rest all is working with the setup and the track pad itself.

I have only needed voodoops2controller from rehabman since snow leopard to get the trackpad going . It is a ps2 synaptic touchpad. Nver had any issues till now.

Even now scrolling , double tap to right click and 2 finger scroll and other function that are available for the laptop of my generation( and it a dinosaur oldy) are working , it only the tap and hold to drag that is not working.

If i change from voodoops2 to others like Appleps2smarttouchpad and those modified by acidanthera kext then i get the tap and hold to drag and drop working but then I loose double tap to right click and two finger scroll function.

My battery is recognized and fully functional and I have the options for drag with and without lock options in the accessibility pane of system preferences ticked to opt for drag with lock. Trackpad pref pane is working.

Since I can get both working but not together I thought may be some plist editing could make it work. I have tried altering the com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist manually, changing from Boolean to integer, etc, drag option is checked correctly but still no go.

Have attempted mixing and matching the  track pad.plist in voodoops2 plugins/trackpad between kexts but am not very knowledgeable of that.

The choice in accessibility option of system preference in Catalina have changed from trackpad and mouse options to pointer and mouse, may be some thing other is affecting the property.

So please help me to get this drag option going. In the latest non metal nvidia patches for catalina by @Asentientbot, stock IOHIDFamily.kext is being used and no patching there as well.

Any help is welcome as this this is the only thing that is stuck in my non metal oldie that seems to do the job apart from photos crashing.

Thanks and regards

• 2 weeks later...

I see that you have covered all the bases quite well.  I suspect that, if you were able to borrow an external USB trackpad, all of your functions would work just fine.  As I said in the Catalina beta thread, I think this is a hardware problem.  At least, I think it is for my laptop.

EDIT:  I guess that it doesn't answer the problem to say it's a hardware problem.  Kexts can be made/modified to address compatibility issues.  Using the stock kexts, like RehabMan's VoodooPS2 kext, performance differences are due to hardware issues.  I was also unsuccessful trying to modify plists to effect a change.  It appears to be more than a settings change that is needed.

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 10:36 AM, macq said:

Guys, hello,

If not actual solutions, can someone point me towards something other than I have posted above I can look into or try.

thanks

There is a new version of acidanthera's VoodooPS2 kext.  Version 2.02.  Give it a try.  The prior version would not load the prefpane in Catalina. This version does and it provides much greater functionality than RehabMan's.  I just installed this version and it seems fine.  However, version 2.01, while providing more functionality, was not as stable and I had 2-3 kp/reboots yesterday trying it out.

VoodooPS2Controller-2.0.2-RELEASE.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 11:25 PM, mnfesq said:

There is a new version of acidanthera's VoodooPS2 kext.  Version 2.02.  Give it a try.  The prior version would not load the prefpane in Catalina. This version does and it provides much greater functionality than RehabMan's.  I just installed this version and it seems fine.  However, version 2.01, while providing more functionality, was not as stable and I had 2-3 kp/reboots yesterday trying it out.

VoodooPS2Controller-2.0.2-RELEASE.zip

Hi,

In beta 6 it provides the same functionality as the voodoops2 by Rehabman, that is as before everything works except drag and drop feature.  In addition the trackpad prefpane is missing with this Acidenthera driver.

I actually mistakenly took one for the other and was under the impression that I was using Acidenthera one when actually was using Rehabman version.

So the problem of drag and drop remains, will keep experimenting and try my luck.

11 hours ago, macq said:

Hi,

In beta 6 it provides the same functionality as the voodoops2 by Rehabman, that is as before everything works except drag and drop feature.  In addition the trackpad prefpane is missing with this Acidenthera driver.

I actually mistakenly took one for the other and was under the impression that I was using Acidenthera one when actually was using Rehabman version.

So the problem of drag and drop remains, will keep experimenting and try my luck.

I have full functionality and better control with acidanthera's version 2.02.  Keep working with it, 2.01 gave me the same problems you have.  Do you see anything out of the ordinary for your trackpad when you run ioreg?

51 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

I have full functionality and better control with acidanthera's version 2.02.  Keep working with it, 2.01 gave me the same problems you have.  Do you see anything out of the ordinary for your trackpad when you run ioreg?

Well, nothing in the ioreg that I find abnormal,

anything specific I should look for.

TIA

50 minutes ago, macq said:

Well, nothing in the ioreg that I find abnormal,

anything specific I should look for.

TIA

Not sure from your last response how to respond.  Try posting your ioreg.  Here's a screenshot of what I'm interested in seeing.  

ioreg.thumb.png.b4a3fa575e5f412c36d2f58335a3ceff.png

If you are using RehabMan's kext, I can't help you because I don't think there's much you can do with it since it hasn't been updated to incorporate the advances made with I2C  You also need to get version 2.02 to load correctly as a preliminary matter.  But there is nothing in Apple's trackpad settings about dragging.  That is only in the Accessibility preferences.  This is what I have for those settings:

access.thumb.png.799a236d4f1243ddccdb9092cc736d32.png

One last question, do you have any trouble dragging with a USB mouse?

Edited by mnfesq

1 hour ago, mnfesq said:

Not sure from your last response how to respond.  Try posting your ioreg.  Here's a screenshot of what I'm interested in seeing.  

ioreg.thumb.png.b4a3fa575e5f412c36d2f58335a3ceff.png

If you are using RehabMan's kext, I can't help you because I don't think there's much you can do with it since it hasn't been updated to incorporate the advances made with I2C  You also need to get version 2.02 to load correctly as a preliminary matter.  But there is nothing in Apple's trackpad settings about dragging.  That is only in the Accessibility preferences.  This is what I have for those settings:

access.thumb.png.799a236d4f1243ddccdb9092cc736d32.png

One last question, do you have any trouble dragging with a USB mouse?

@mnfesq,

attached is my ioreg using the Acidenthera kext.

With this I can drag and drop but then I loose the ability of , "2 finger scroll and 2 finger double tap for right click".

Also system pref pane says no trackpad found.

With the rehabman kext its the other way round and I cant drag and drop using trackpad but can do so using a usb mouse.

X’s MacBook Pro.zip

Edited by macq

57 minutes ago, macq said:

@mnfesq,

attached is my ioreg using the Acidenthera kext.

With this I can drag and drop but then I loose the ability of , "2 finger scroll and 2 finger double tap for right click".

Also system pref pane says no trackpad found.

With the rehabman kext its the other way round and I cant drag and drop using trackpad but can do so using a usb mouse.

X’s MacBook Pro.zip

Your ioreg says that you are using RehabMan's ps2controller kext.  Is it possible that you have his kext somewhere beside Clover/kexts/Other on your laptop, such as L/E?  That would prevent you getting the prefpane with acidanthera's version in Clover kexts.

8 hours ago, mnfesq said:

Your ioreg says that you are using RehabMan's ps2controller kext.  Is it possible that you have his kext somewhere beside Clover/kexts/Other on your laptop, such as L/E?  That would prevent you getting the prefpane with acidanthera's version in Clover kexts.

@mnfesq Hi,

Sorry too much experimenting on my side, yes there was another version of acidentheras kext in S/L/E.

cleared all.

Installed acidentheras in CLOVER/KEXT/OTHER.

io reg attached, I have the preference pane and the requisite options are ticked, but still only can drag and drop and I do not have ."2 finger scroll and 2 finger doubletap for right click". Both seem to be missing inspite of options ticked..

The cursor is fidgety as can be seen in the screenshot even with tracking set to minimum. Also the physical click buttons also do not respond for click and right click.

Anything I can do get scrolling and right click on double tap.1.png.1ddd904f3e8f49828800cb0dd104aa34.png to

2.png.90ecdd052668c9a3d3e67076036f6fd8.png

TIA

x’s MacBook Pro.zip

10 hours ago, macq said:

@mnfesq Hi,

Sorry too much experimenting on my side, yes there was another version of acidentheras kext in S/L/E.

cleared all.

Installed acidentheras in CLOVER/KEXT/OTHER.

io reg attached, I have the preference pane and the requisite options are ticked, but still only can drag and drop and I do not have ."2 finger scroll and 2 finger doubletap for right click". Both seem to be missing inspite of options ticked..

The cursor is fidgety as can be seen in the screenshot even with tracking set to minimum. Also the physical click buttons also do not respond for click and right click.

Anything I can do get scrolling and right click on double tap.

On my old HP laptop, I had a problem with the Clover mouse driver and could not have it in my driver folder and could not enable mouse functions on the Clover page.  The driver conflicted with the PS2Controller kext.  See if that has anything to do with it.  Also, take a look at the command line fix in this article and see if that helps.

https://appuals.com/fix-trackpad-scroll-not-working-on-macos/4

Another article I read suggested that you delete your trackpad and mouse preferences and reboot.

Your ioreg looked fine now that you cleaned out the duplicate kexts.  BTW, I use Force Touch mode 2 and get better control.  I manually changed that in the info.plist for the trackpad.

Edited by mnfesq