vmware-resolutionSet "Unable to find the service" on Mojave

36 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, TANGCLA said:

So should I do an in place upgrade to Catalina after I've resolved this?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Opps, totally missed that part.

Yes, make sure VMware Tools works, including resolutions, then you may need to uninstall VMware Tools for best results with macOS Catalina upgrade!

Then reinstall the Tools once upgraded.

To get Catalina working, some steps are needed, see the thread for that here:

Edited by Naki
  • Like 1

TANGCLA -- one more important thing here!

IF you will be updating to Catalina Beta, and this Mojave VM is the ONLY macOS VM you use/have, please note then you must make a copy of the Mojave VM.
So, you will have TWO VMs - one will stay at Mojave, one will be upgraded to Catalina.
In one of the Catalina Beta steps, you WILL need the older VM to copy/change some system files on the Catalina Beta system disk partition, so the stuck/frozen Catalina Beta VM can then proceed to boot fine.

There are ways to do this without a 2nd VM, but using a 2nd VM for this is much easier. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TANGCLA said:

Just an update, I downloaded an existing Catalina image and used that from scratch, and everything works.

Where did you get that, please? :)
Which version/build is it, latest, or an older one?

• 2 months later...

Darwin Tools 15.5.0 and 15.5.1 will not work on macOS 10.12.x or macOS 10.11.x or macOS 10.10.x running in VMware Workstation 15.5.x

the resolutionSet command will always come up with the error: unable to find the service.

whereas Darwin Tools 15.1.0 does work find and resolutionSet has no issues whatsoever.

Is there any way to manually install the vmware service? Anyone explored this avenue?

• Like 1

VMware Tools 11.x version does not work on macOS 10.11 and 10.12 (or older) - it will seem to install fine, but then none of the VMware Tools functions are available, so no resolution switching, Shared folders, or USB devices connection ability.

This is well-documented on VMware's website, here:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/11.5.0/rn/VMware-Fusion-1150-Release-Notes.html

The bottom-most issue says this about the issue:

----

VMware Tools 11.0.0 kernel extensions can not be launched in macOS 10.11 or 10.12 virtual machine.

After installing VMware Tools 11.0.0 on macOS 10.11 or macOS 10.12 virtual machine, running the kextstat | grep vm command in Terminal shows that no VMware Tools kernel extension is launched inside the virtual machine. As a result, all VMware Tools functions are not available, the virtual machine's resolution can not fit to the size of the virtual machine window and shared folders feature does not work.

Workaround: Use VMware Tools 10.3.10 instead.

----

The below mostly refers to macOS 10.12 Sierra - newest one that does NOT properly support VMware Tools 11.x, or more exactly - newest version of macOS VMs that VMware Tools 11.x does not properly support.

So, you need this special, separate VMware Tools 10.3.10 version. Note doing Google searches for this version will likely yield nothing useful.

Some VMware online docs mention this version, but they do not include any link to it. Note this version is on a separate code branch from 11.x Tools so in fact this 10.3.10 version is NEWer than 11.0, for example. :) 

So, for newer macOS Guests you can use latest 11.x version Tools, and for 10.12, this one.

I was able to get this 10.3.10 VMware Tools version from VMware website by logging in with my VMware account.

Get the files here, please:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmuf4yvrgkh20a2/darwin - Tools Version 10.3.10.iso?dl=0

You may need to fully uninstall the version of VMware Tools installed now, then install this one.

Again, this only refers to and is usable on macOS 10.12 - not older or newer (may work on 10.11 too, but I am not sure as I did not try).

Please tell me how it goes. Please tell me if something is not clear.

NOTE: Do not use this one on macOS Guests with macOS 10.13 or higher - on those latest VMware Tools 11.x should work fine.

I have not tried this on 10.11 El Capitan - whatever version I have there right now seems to work fine, so I better not tinker with it.

Due to this, I cannot say about 10.11, but for 10.10 and lower you are stuck with an even older VMware Tools, with no way or need to update it.
IF you used those older VMs for a while, they should already have a working Tools on them, one you should keep using.

Edited by Naki

Okay, feeling bold & courageous, I tried this 10.3.10 VMware Tools version on my El Capitan VM too, and was able to update to it just fine - update on top of older VMware Tools version, without uninstalling older one first. :) 

Wanted a restart, then correctly shows 10.3.10 as the KEXTs version on VMware Tools folder (it was 10.3.2 or something like that previously). Hope this helps! :) 

Edited by Naki

On 12/6/2019 at 4:05 PM, Naki said:

Hello? Did this work, please? Or did you not have the chance to try it yet? :) 

Hello, are you there, please? :)