Modify power management on Vega 64

innerd

1 post in this topic

Hi guys, sorry for my English in the first place,

I have a Vega 64 with an amd ryzen cpu on Mojave 10.14.5 (yeah no native power management cpu/gpu possible with my config) and I have sometimes really bad performance with my gpu. 

Not an expert but I think that the problem lies in a bad power management and/or control of the p states. With a benchmark like LuxMark I have a score around 300k, 100% gpu utilization and max frequencies in both memory and core (Im checking with HWmonitorsSMC2) but with others like geekbench my clock core remains around 100 max 500 with a score of 35k (Unigine valley and heaven can't maximize the frequency and utilization too). It seems that somehow the gpu can't adjust the frequency or the system can't ask the right amount of power/frequency to the gpu. The only scenario where it works as expected is under really heavy tasks (like I said LuxMark or partially Multiple Cubes/ Iron Fix Boxing Kings in OpenGL Extensions Viewer). Is there anything I can try? Like a manual adjustment of threshold or p states etc.

Edited by innerd