Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC2019

2009 MAC PRO

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a chance to buy a 2009 MAC PRO for $ 250  that looks brand new cosmetically .

Will it run High Sierra 10.13  and / or  Mojave 10.14 with acceptable results .....  as it is ?  

If not ,  what upgrades will I need to make ?

I plan on at least 16 GB of new Crucial memory and a new SAMSUNG 1 TB SSD for a clean install of OS X .

Here are the specs :

• One 2.93GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon W3540 "Nehalem" processor
  • 4.0GB (4x1.0GB) PC3-8500 (1066MHz) DDR3 ECC SDRAM, supports up to 16.0GB
  • 640GB Serial ATA hard disk drive @ 7200RPM
  • ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics with 512MB GDDR5 memory

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.93-early-2009-nehalem-specs.html

Officially, the buck for MacPro4,1 stops at El Capitan 10.11. If you want to go for macOS (Sierra, Heh Sierra, Mojave), you'll probably have to flash it to MacPro5,1 firmware and replace the graphics card. Plenty of tutos for this on the Net, just Google for it.

Edited by Hervé

TBH it seems that Mac Pro model won't be a deal. You'll have to spend a lot of money to buy new Ram, video card, SSD...... and eventually you'll have an old and slow bottlenecked machine. Probably with the same money (Mac + upgrades) you can build a better hack, but that's only my opinion...

Thanks very much  for the input . 

I have decided against the 2009 model , and will go with a 2010 -2012 MAC PRO 5,1 .

From what I've read so far , I will need the NVIDIA GTX 680 video card to install MOJAVE without any issues ..... but the original ATI RADEON HD 5870 will run perfectly with High Sierra .