2009 MAC PRO

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a chance to buy a 2009 MAC PRO for $ 250  that looks brand new cosmetically .

Will it run High Sierra 10.13  and / or  Mojave 10.14 with acceptable results .....  as it is ?  

If not ,  what upgrades will I need to make ?

I plan on at least 16 GB of new Crucial memory and a new SAMSUNG 1 TB SSD for a clean install of OS X .

Here are the specs :

• One 2.93GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon W3540 "Nehalem" processor
  • 4.0GB (4x1.0GB) PC3-8500 (1066MHz) DDR3 ECC SDRAM, supports up to 16.0GB
  • 640GB Serial ATA hard disk drive @ 7200RPM
  • ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics with 512MB GDDR5 memory

TBH it seems that Mac Pro model won't be a deal. You'll have to spend a lot of money to buy new Ram, video card, SSD...... and eventually you'll have an old and slow bottlenecked machine. Probably with the same money (Mac + upgrades) you can build a better hack, but that's only my opinion...

Thanks very much  for the input . 

I have decided against the 2009 model , and will go with a 2010 -2012 MAC PRO 5,1 .

From what I've read so far , I will need the NVIDIA GTX 680 video card to install MOJAVE without any issues ..... but the original ATI RADEON HD 5870 will run perfectly with High Sierra .

• 1 month later...

I have the 2009 MacPro with updated Xeon processor to 6 quad single 3.6GHZ, Radeon RX570 8GB and 32GB memory. The only issue that I have is that I can't reboot computer... it will hang. I have the latest OS X 10.14.6 installed. Does anyone know what I would need to install or update?

Edited by Konami®