Networking via airport express hub

bgrau

12 posts in this topic

Ok, heres my setup:

Main PC-Hackintosh (or Windows) - connected to airport express base station via en0 (pci nic 3com) and lan cable.

Internet connection from main PC thru integrated nic (en1) via cable modem.

Now:

can network with mac mini, or ibook when in xp.

unable to network when in osx86...

I can connect to Internet in both.

I can also see the osx86 computer in network when using osx86, but cannot access it.

My 3com card says that connection is ok (green light in network under sys prefs).

The 3com kext was modified in IONetworkingFamily.kext using usual method of putting in ID's.

Anyone got this problem and fixed it?

Much appreciated.

Are you saying on your Hack you get internet access but cannot browse your network or see/conenct to other PC's on your network?

If so, I had thissame problem. It is an SMB problem. I don't recall exactly the post but there a boat load of posts on here about this problem.

Do a search on SMB problem, and go from there.

A few quick fixes did it for me.

If I find the post, I'll post here.

/mdg

Thanx for answer mdg...

I wish it were that simple.

The airport express router is connected to a PC NIC (3com904b-TX).

Another NIC (integrated Intel) connects to Internet thru cable modem.

What I can do in XP is connect wirelessly to the router which connects by cable to the PC to connect to the Internet.

But I cannot do this in Hackintosh, the 3com kext does not seem to like communicating with the router (by cable), whereas the 3com driver in XP does not mind :angel:

I will try and separately check that 3com can communicate ok with a normal nic (ie via cable) from another apple computer... If it doesnt that means the kext is useless (at least for me, as there are reports of success from others)...

Cheers

Edit: Just for the heck of it, I ran the smb patch u talked about... who knows? will check this soon...

Thanx for answer mdg...

I wish it were that simple.

The airport express router is connected to a PC NIC (3com904b-TX).

Another NIC (integrated Intel) connects to Internet thru cable modem.

What I can do in XP is connect wirelessly to the router which connects by cable to the PC to connect to the Internet.

But I cannot do this in Hackintosh, the 3com kext does not seem to like communicating with the router (by cable), whereas the 3com driver in XP does not mind ;)

I will try and separately check that 3com can communicate ok with a normal nic (ie via cable) from another apple computer... If it doesnt that means the kext is useless (at least for me, as there are reports of success from others)...

Cheers

So if I understand correctly your hacky has 2 adapters, and you want it to connect to wan on one and transfer it to your lan(airport) via the other? In which case, have you tried to connect cable modem to the first nic (call it eth0 for arguments sake) then connect airport to eth1 (the other). Next enable internet sharing from eth0 to eth1 in preference pane. Make sure you have only one DHCP server, so if cable modem acts as a router disable DHCP in airport and set it to bridge mode.

Sounds like it would a lot easier if you spent $10 on a switch. Then connect everything wired to the switch and let ap take care of the rest.

:2cents:

I connected directly using the "problem" nic (3com) to a real mac, and it doesnt work either, the two NIC's dont talk to each other... So it is a kext issue...

In windows it works flawlessly, internet sharing and lan, whatever method I use connecting with a real mac...

Changed NIC card to Realtek 8139, more stable in OSX (the other one 3com kept switching on and off), and at least the correct id's were in the kext (i had to add them for the 3com).

All that said, still no luck to get the Airport Express Base Station route to my PC thru a cable via it.

How can XP be more succesful at using that which is an Apple product?

Consolation, I do not have a fully fledged Airport router, but the smaller version, Airport Express.

I have the suspicion that it might be a DNS issue.

Which means that if I allow for a DNS server in my Hackintosh, I will be able to network it.

DNS is embedded by default in Windows XP, but in order to have it in OSX86, one needs either an airport card or BIND loaded.

So I will try and load BIND, it might solve this problem.

I doubt the network cards are at fault if they are propoerly detected...

Will test this theory...

It will have been nice to have BIND activated by default on OSX86, so maybe JaS could do that in his next DVD.

Activating Bind in Hackintosh didnt do much :D

A tiny bit of progress tho... I can now see the other Mac's or the PC in Network, but when i try to open, it either says no connection, or fix alias... (its not a smb problem, as this was fixed already)...

Well I guess this setting which works perfectly with windows, might not work with MACOSX86... I tried./

OK its all working for me.

Not the most elegant setting. Like could not use DHCP.

So I thrown in a usb wireless card (Ralink 2500 v2 - lucky I had it)

Airport Hub used as router that redirects traffic to the usb wifi.

usb wifi attached to PC that connects to internet.

I can network and browse internet.

I wished I could do it without the wifi usb, with the setting used in XP, but thats the best I could get.

I leave the NIC in the PCI slot when using XP, as the Ralink card I found not very reliable with XP, but strangely very reliable with OSX...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
ive tried everything, and it seems that it wont reconise my wifi adapter, in my ABOUT THIS MAC it shows up under USB, but not in the networking, under system prefs..

anyone??

I'm using voodoo 9.5.0 kernel with OS X 10.5.7 and I have a D-Link USB DWL-G122 Rev B1 F/W 2.02

Wifi Works!

Using the two drivers Prasys posted

http://rapidshare.com/files/99361102/Ralin...Wizard.mpkg.zip

and then

http://rapidshare.com/files/99361138/ralinkv015.zip

REMEMBER to delete your kextcache, repair permissions, and reboot (actually, currently I'm running with just the first driver,, not even the 015.)

I'm connecting to a WPA2 TKIP secure wlan