Intel Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter ...

mistermaggi

15 posts in this topic

Hey,

I tried to get my Intel Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter to work with 10.4.8.

I edited the AppleIntel8255xx.kext with my dev and vendor-ID, but no luck.

devid is 107c, vendor of course 8086.

After that i researched a little and found out that this card uses the 82541 chipset, so I'm now in the need of a matching kext.

If anyone already wrote one, or has an idea what's the difference to the 8255x, please tell me. I would really like to get that card rocking.

EDIT: I found that in IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ is also a AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext. Device ID in there is 1000, but when I replace that with 107c it doesn't change anything, except for maybe braking support for Pro/1000 MT or something like that.

If anyone has an idea, share it,

THX,

MisterMaggi

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd like to see this, too.

Is there a way to fake or modify your device ID? The Small Tree drivers support the card, but only their re-branded models. So if you could fake the ID, you could get the driver to recognize and support the card.

• 1 month later...

What do you mean by only working with their rebranded models? What do their devices ident as? I looked at the Info.plist in the smalltree driver and it looked like it was still using 8086/xxxx.

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried a pro/1000 GT (82541PI id 107c 8086) in my D945GCLF (10.5.3). I edited the 8254x kext with the id number. There is no love. The card showed up in the network control panel but it wouldn't read the MAC address of the card. BARK! I know the card works in Ubuntu. Has anybody tried installing the Smalltree driver?

• 1 month later...
I just tried a pro/1000 GT (82541PI id 107c 8086) in my D945GCLF (10.5.3). I edited the 8254x kext with the id number. There is no love. The card showed up in the network control panel but it wouldn't read the MAC address of the card. BARK! I know the card works in Ubuntu. Has anybody tried installing the Smalltree driver?

What all did you edit when you got it to be recognized? There's a way to manually set the MAC address so if we can get it seen by the system, that's 2 steps closer. Could you post your kext or at the very least the Info.plist or contents of it?

Maik

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on a Sony desktop and ran into some odd problems with a similar adapter. I didn't have a chance to install and boot into XP on this machine (Windows HDD died so I decided to switch it over to pure OSX) but found the device IDs from some of Intel's tech docs. According to those it's an 82541EI, device ID# 1018. Looking at the current loaded KEXTs I see that AppleIntel8245XEthernet.kext is being loaded even though it doesn't contain a reference to my device.

The adapter is grabbing an IP and allows me to function on the network, but it always reports that the ethernet cable is not connected and on occasion it won't function after a reboot unless I reboot a second time. It's livable as it is now, but I'd like to find a way for it to report the proper port status and work after every boot. I'll need to load Windows as well so I can make sure I'm looking at the proper device ID.

The adapter is grabbing an IP and allows me to function on the network, but it always reports that the ethernet cable is not connected and on occasion it won't function after a reboot unless I reboot a second time. It's livable as it is now, but I'd like to find a way for it to report the proper port status and work after every boot. I'll need to load Windows as well so I can make sure I'm looking at the proper device ID.

I have the same problem.

I have Jas 10.5.4 installed and when I boot with -f option it works at first boot.

Is there anyone who has a solution for this problem!

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Intel Pro/1000 PT card in my pc and have had no luck getting it to work. I'm currently using the onboard realtek NIC and drivers were installed for that at install time, it works fine.

The Intel card is much better and I would prefer to use it as it's the only OS out of the 4 that will not recognize the intel card.

I just reinstalled from the iATKOS v4i and would like to try working on this again, has anyone made any progress in this department??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just noticed a possible breakthrough for people with Intel based ethernet cards not having OSX drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...S*&lang=eng

It seems Intel has released the source code for pretty much their entire ethernet lineup at that page, and I dug through there and found a BSD section for the drivers we're looking for here! Looks like they released it just over a week ago too so I apologize if this is just an update to the source they've provided before, but I've never seen the source for their drivers offered on their site before.

Can anyone point me towards a good guide for compiling drivers on Leopard? I've done it before in Linux and have experience with compilers and program writing, but need a good primer of what additional source I'll need to compile these drivers. Of course if anyone want's to compile them for the 82572 family using the Vanilla 10.5.6 kernel I'd be just as happy. :)

They look like they have the potential to help alot of people with these newer Intel ethernet cards out though!!!

• 1 month later...

HaTaX,

I sincerely hope you'll give it a go porting and compiling drivers for the 82572 family.

The Pro/1000 PT card especially is a great value, if only it had OSX drivers.

I know squat about compiling drivers, but I'll just add to the thread and confirm that I also had no luck with adding 0x10b98086 as a device ID to the 8254x plugin in IONetworkingFamily.kext.

I looked at the Small Tree Communications kext and it looks like it should load (and in fact will load according to kextstat). But it does not "see" the card, I have to assume STC put checks into the driver binary to see if you are using their card. Apparently people with real Macs have the same problem trying to use STC drivers with non-STC cards and it is said the STC cards use a completely different firmware. Really, they would be stupid not to build in this kind of protection.

I got to wondering if these cards are flashable in any fashion, although I doubt this as I have not seen it referenced.

I'd just buy the STC card, but it's $100 and the 1000PT Desktop is $42, which is kind of a big difference for Mac compatibility. I'd rather spend hours and hours to save that $60 :(

If anyone writes/ports anything I would be willing to test whatever on a vanilla kernel since I already have a couple of these cards.