Magnality

Stuck on boot after upgrading to GTX 1060 from GTX 750 Ti (Sierra 10.12.6)

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've been happily using macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) successfully for more than a year (all things working), but now I replaced my old Asus GTX 750 Ti card with a new Zotac GTX 1060 6GB, and it get stuck on boot just before going to the login screen (verbose boot screen attached).

I've updated Clover with all its kexts, and reinstalled the Nvidia Web Drivers (using nvidia-update script), but it's still stuck in the same part. I can only enter using nv_disable=1

My current Hackintosh specs:

Motherboard MSI H110M Gaming (MS-7994) (LGA 1151/Intel H110/DDR4/SATA 3 & USB 3.1)
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1151 65W
RAM HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) HX421C14FBK2/16
Video Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
SSD Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
HDD Western Digital Black 1TB (32MB Cache) (WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1)

I've read that maybe it can be fixed patching the DSDT, but I don't know how to do it.

My RunMe.app generated zip file and verbose boot screen are attached.

Any kind of help is appreciated. Thanks.

Send me Coke-iMac.zip

verbose-boot.jpg

Edited by Coke2g

Advertisement
Guest millusions

go nv_disable=1

and run update from Preferences/Nvidia.

the only other thing is, it's just from experience, you need SIP enabled when installing NVdia

because your boot looks ok. NVDA loaded and registered.

DSMOS has arrived

actually you got some GXXXDriver fails probe.

i'd guess that's Nvidia failing to load

but updating nvidia on Sierra or HS is just like on a real mac, through system preferences

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, millusions said:

go nv_disable=1

and run update from Preferences/Nvidia.

the only other thing is, it's just from experience, you need SIP enabled when installing NVdia

because your boot looks ok. NVDA loaded and registered.

DSMOS has arrived

actually you got some GXXXDriver fails probe.

i'd guess that's Nvidia failing to load

but updating nvidia on Sierra or HS is just like on a real mac, through system preferences

I've already tried by uninstalling and reinstalling the last drivers from Nvidia (Nvidia preferences shows "No Update Available" too). I also tried installing the drivers with SIP enabled and disabled, but getting the same result. Thanks for the quick reply anyway.

Edited by Coke2g

Guest millusions

hmmm.

dunno. i've done my share of graphics cards testing but kinda skipped Sierra all together..

have recently changed, 980ti to 1070, few days later to a 970 without any issues. HS 10.13.6

the only thing i can see is GraphicsPolicy patch in your clover. i've never used it. i dont think you need it with whatevergreeen.

or just hang in there till one of the resident gurus here takes a look, cuz im not one of them he he :)

8 hours ago, millusions said:

hmmm.

dunno. i've done my share of graphics cards testing but kinda skipped Sierra all together..

have recently changed, 980ti to 1070, few days later to a 970 without any issues. HS 10.13.6

the only thing i can see is GraphicsPolicy patch in your clover. i've never used it. i dont think you need it with whatevergreeen.

or just hang in there till one of the resident gurus here takes a look, cuz im not one of them he he :)

I've read that between 970 and 10xx cards it's practically the same setup, but beyond that, I think it's something from Zotac that requires a more gimmick config. I hope gurus can take a look at this haha

7 hours ago, PPCnostalgic said:

Stupid question: did you try another connection? e.g. DVI instead of HDMI or DP.......

I'm using DVI right now, but doesnt seem to be that kind of issue with this one, this is not a black screen issue or something like that, I just cannot pass through "gIOScreenLockState 3", but I can still enter with nv_disable=1

Guest millusions

yea. thats why i posted my krap, because i went to 1070 from 980ti with no issues..

there was a time where my hack was fooked when i installed nvidia without SIP.  but it was a while back and i dont remember much about it, except i turn SIP on always since for Nvidia install..

i did quickly google GXXXDriver fails probe, and it seems to be USB...

all i'm saying is that the transition was pretty seamless for me.

the only other thing is matching the OS version to Nvidia driver that i would be looking at in this instance, are you sure? i've never used the script you mentioned. but a lot of the time i use MacVid cards nvidia driver page to match OS to version.  given the situation i would think that's what it is

what does the graphics policy patch do?

10 hours ago, millusions said:

yea. thats why i posted my krap, because i went to 1070 from 980ti with no issues..

there was a time where my hack was fooked when i installed nvidia without SIP.  but it was a while back and i dont remember much about it, except i turn SIP on always since for Nvidia install..

i did quickly google GXXXDriver fails probe, and it seems to be USB...

all i'm saying is that the transition was pretty seamless for me.

the only other thing is matching the OS version to Nvidia driver that i would be looking at in this instance, are you sure? i've never used the script you mentioned. but a lot of the time i use MacVid cards nvidia driver page to match OS to version.  given the situation i would think that's what it is

what does the graphics policy patch do?

The GxxxDriver thing doesn't bother me, I got all USB working fine before and after the card upgrade issue.

The Nvidia script I've used its just a lazy way to install the appropiate version for your OS, I've already tried with the default Nvidia installer ( 378.05.05.25f01 for 10.12.6 (16G29) ), but getting the same result.

I don't know what Graphics Policy patch do (I didn't install that), but that kext is not even loaded anyway.

I'm really giving up with this, I'm resigning myself to just use the integrated graphics, but I don't see myself switching the cable every time I need to enter Windows/Mac, because I use both regularly.

Guest millusions

ok. if you're at this point. then

carbon copy OSX to something for backup.

get Olarila 10.13.6 image

it has some cool proggies as well as boots on about anyting (kext updater app is awsome).

run all OS updates before installing nvidia.

all updates = 17G7024

On 6/3/2019 at 6:02 PM, millusions said:

ok. if you're at this point. then

carbon copy OSX to something for backup.

get Olarila 10.13.6 image

it has some cool proggies as well as boots on about anyting (kext updater app is awsome).

run all OS updates before installing nvidia.

all updates = 17G7024

Thanks, I'll give it a try after buying a new SSD to keep both OS separately, and to mantain the old OSX as a config transition backup.

Guest millusions

hey mate,

something else occurred to me,

if you put the old 750ti in, this will tell you if system is fk0red or not, if you know what i mean.

shouldnt be hassle at all to change nvidia graphics card, ive played with quite a few on hacks

10 hours ago, millusions said:

hey mate,

something else occurred to me,

if you put the old 750ti in, this will tell you if system is fk0red or not, if you know what i mean.

shouldnt be hassle at all to change nvidia graphics card, ive played with quite a few on hacks

That was one of the first thing I did while my computer case was open during the install, it boots Ok with the old card, it's just that this 1060 doesn't want to work on Mac, in Windows works wonderfully as expected.

Guest millusions

wow! thats messed up

there's an old thread here :

one point is the change SMBIOS to an older imac with nvidia graphics, you can just press space bar at clover menu and select alternate config.plist

On 6/6/2019 at 4:23 AM, millusions said:

wow! thats messed up

there's an old thread here :

one point is the change SMBIOS to an older imac with nvidia graphics, you can just press space bar at clover menu and select alternate config.plist

Yeah, that guy just bought another card to solve the issue. I just installed vanilla Mojave with Intel's graphics acceleration, can't go back after enjoying the dark theme. I hope Nvidia will release GTX and RTX compatible drivers in some near future.

Guest millusions

yea. been waiting like 8 months now.

so don't hold your breath.

i have a feeling AMD gave apple some $$$ for exclusivity.

dark mode, it's so silly, but yea, it's cool AF :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pentothal.Z
      Hello all,
      I have a working hackintosh....ok.....but it takes a lot to boot and according to the boot.log there are a few problems.
      One of them is a black screen that stays on for a long time.
      I would like to ask anyone in this community some help to fine tune my machine.
      Boot.log and config.plist attached

Any help would be appreciated.
      bootlog.txt
      config.plist
    • By Amit Meena
      This card is working OOB, but it has some graphical issues as per attachments.

If someone has a solution please share.

• By arsradu
      Hi guys,

So, this little tutorial is meant to help people fix a new issue with Mojave: opening jpg files (looks like it happens with larger files, not so much with smaller ones) using Quick Look (on spacebar key pressed) or Preview app, using the dedicated GPUs.
      The issue is that, when trying to open jpg files (for some reason, it doesn't occur with pngs), the pop-up window would remain in an endless loop. And from that point forward, any other app trying to open the same file will either become unresponsive (in the case of the Preview app) or just stay in endless loop (in case of Quick Look)

As a workaround, in case the tutorial below doesn't work for you, you can use Grab (built-in app in MacOS) to open said files.

This issue DOES NOT occur using the iGPU. So...if you're comfortable using the iGPU, just switch to that and you should be good to go. You don't need this tutorial.

This tutorial is based on @Cyberdevs' research and testing on this topic (especially useful if you're using an RX series AMD video card), and my own very limited time testing this on my rig. I just thought it would be useful to create a new thread for it so that people can discuss this particular issue here.

With that being said, I'll just move on to the actual tutorial.

New (probably better) method.

Switch your SMBIOS in Clover config in regards to the dedicated GPU you're using, instead of the CPU. Take a look here and choose the corresponding SMBIOS closest to your hardware.
      Yeah, that's it.

In case you lose CPU PM with this method, there are multiple ways to fix that, and they do not make the object of this thread.  It worked perfectly fine for me though and I didn't need to change anything else.

Alternatively, you can also try one of the MacPro SMBIOSes, such as MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1. It was tested multiple times and it showed good results. 
      Keep in mind that choosing these will most likely not show you an iGPU in System Report, since those machines generally (probably all of them) use Xeon CPUs with no iGPUs either.

/!\NOTE: There have been reports saying that using this method (switching SMBIOS to a MacPro one) with newer versions of MacOS may cause iTunes to crash.
      So...keep that in mind and better try some of the other methods mentioned here.

A simple Lilu plugin

Thanks to vulgo for the plugin and @Matgen84 for sharing and testing it, we now have yet another possible solution to this issue. It's a Lilu plugin (which means that it requires Lilu.kext in order to work) it's called NoVPAJpeg, and it can be downloaded from here.
      You use it as a regular kext, alongside Lilu. I prefer (and recommend) using it within the EFI folder, in Clover/kexts/Other. But if you want to use it in S/L/E, that should work just fine.

More info can be found in this post here.

In case you wanna try alternative medicine  ...

The main thing we need to do is actually very simple: we need to enable the iGPU (integrated GPU) by default, in BIOS, while actually being connected to the dedicated GPU.

For ATI GPUs (curtesy of @Cyberdevs' post here).

The discreet GPU should be set as primary in BIOS and your displays should be connected to your discreet GPU
      The iGD/iGPU/iGFX must be enabled in BIOS/UEFI as the secondary GPU.

I removed the DSDT Reconfigured the config.plist to and removed some flags which weren't needed because of the DSDT added the InjectATI + Ornioco Framebuffer (I removed the Orinoco framebuffer because of some weird glitches but it might be useful for other AMD GPUs if you inject the correct framebuffer according to your GPU. No need to inject anything for nVidia GPUs unless your GPU needs it) Added the InjectIntel + ig-platform-id for my intel HD530 (for intel HD 530 I use the 0x19120001 ig-platform-id)  
      Steps 5 to 7 might not be necessary I just did them anyway, if anyone succeeded to get quicklook working without those steps let me know so I can exclude those steps.

Also confirmed to work with AMD R9 270X on a SandyBridge rig (without an iGPU) using WhateverGreen + Lilu kexts, which also helped to solve the transparency issue along with the Quick Look problem, it also resolved the buggy Screen Capture (Command+Shift+5) issue as well. 

Also, do:
      nvram cleanup kextcache & prelinked kernel rebuild reboot  More info on that here.

For NVIDIA GPUs

This is what I needed for my NVIDIA rig and the MSI motherboard in the signature. Your milage may vary, depending on your hardware. But, the idea should be the same regardless.

For MSi motherboads (check out my motherboard details in the signature)

Set your BIOS to use PEG (dedicated GPU) so you can boot.
      Since you're reading this, chances are that you're already connected to the dedicated GPU and the BIOS is set to PEG. So just go into BIOS and see if you're using the iGPU or the dedicated (PEG) graphics device by default.
      If you're already using this, skip to Step 3 (the part AFTER Reboot). Reboot (I think you don't necessarily need to boot into the OS...but you do need to reboot at least until Clover UI) Reboot back into BIOS and set it from PEG to IGD (integrated graphics) WITHOUT removing the cable. Save Reboot again.  
         The result should be that the OS is tricked into thinking you're booting with the IGPU when in fact you're using the dedicated GPU.

For Gigabyte motherboards

Set:
      Peripherals -> Initial Display Output -> iGFX Chipset -> Internal Graphics -> Enabled
           DVMT Pre-Allocation -> default 64M.
           DVMT Total Gfx Mem -> default 256M Save Reboot  
         You should do this with the cable connected to the dedicated GPU.

You will also need to patch the iGPU from Clover config.
      1. Graphics -> Inject Intel (UNCHECK Inject Nvidia or ATI if it's checked).
      2. ig-platform-id (in my case for Intel HD 4600 Desktop) it was: 0x0d220003

And use IntelGraphicsFixup.kext (now included into WhateverGreen.kext) in Clover/kexts/Other. In my particular case, without the kext, I would get freezes in Safari.

Another way to activate the iGPU while having the dGPU set as primary is by going into BIOS/SAG/Graphics Configuration/iGPU and setting Multi-Monitor to [Enabled], all the rest remains on [Auto], and set Inject/Intel to [True] in Clover config.*.

Thanks to @gjw for the tip.

*Motherboard dependent. But the multi-monitor option might be the same regardless of manufacturer.

This might be a bug with Mojave and it could be fixed by Apple in the future. but in the meantime, feel free to use this if it helps you fix the issue.

For HP motherboards (including laptops), so far no solution, unless the BIOS somehow allows to switch from dGPU to iGPU and vice-versa.

Cheers!
    • By SoThOr
      This was spurred on from a discussion in the Clover General thread. Where there was a debate on bcdedit being able create/read/edit (U)EFI Boot entries. I didn't think it appropriate to post all this information there and somebody may want to make use of this and its likely to get lost in that massive thread.

Out of curiosity I decided to see if I could create an EFI entry using bcdedit. What can I say I like a challenge.  Whilst is not a documented method by Microsoft, as it turns out in a round about way it IS possible to create an EFI entry using bcdedit and these are the steps I went through to add UEFI Shell located on a USB stick to the EFI entries. 

Third party software is available that can create and edit UEFI entries from Windows with better support and more features. I'm just making this information available in case those options are unavailable. 

DISCLAIMER - This is not a supported method. Use at your own risk. I recommend backing up your BCD/Firmware variables/settings beforehand.

1) Copy {bootmgr} entry.
      C:\Windows\System32>bcdedit /copy {bootmgr} /d "UEFI Shell" The entry was successfully copied to {34e8383c-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5}. 2) Edit the new entry using the new GUID bcdedit generated in the copy step.
        a) Set the device and path for UEFI shell on my USB stick.
      bcdedit /set {34e8383d-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5} device partition=G: bcdedit /set {34e8383d-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5} path \EFI\SHELL\SHELLX64.efi   b) Clean up some of the stuff that was copied from {bootmgr} (optional as far as I can tell, just makes things tidier in bcdedit)
      3) Put the new EFI entry first in boot order. (optional)

After completing the steps above, here is what "bcdedit /enum firmware" shows:

I shutdown my computer and when I turned my computer back on it booted up into UEFI Shell. After exiting the shell my PC went on to boot Windows.
      Here is the resulting dump using "bcfg boot dump -v" from that shell:

You may notice that the shell shows as "Windows Boot Manager" in the bcdedit output. This I believe is because of the "WINDOWS" at the beginning of the option data that bcdedit added to the EFI Boot entry. I also believe this why bcdedit shows my Windows 8 installation as "Firmware Application" because it has no option data. I don't know how to remove this data using bcdedit nor do I know how the option data, that bcdedit adds, will affect other EFI applications.

There might be a way to create the EFI entry without copying the Windows entry but if there is I'm unable to find any documentation on how one would do so. If you use the create command then it just puts it in the BCD and I'm unaware of a way to tell it to create it in EFI instead, other than by doing the above.
    • By Pericles
      I've been trying to boot MacOS Mojave (10.14.4) after installation on a system I've built.

I was able to successfully install Mojave through my USB, it seemed like the installer recognised my gpu and was working with it in the installation screen as it looked like it was outputting video at 4k resolution. When the computer restarted I then booted into the "Preboot" option on clover twice (the first time I tried the progress bar got to a certain point and then the system restarted) and on the second attempt the progress bar filled up completelly and the mac installer counted down to a restart (which I took as meaning that it had successfully finished the installer). After restarting however I tried to boot into MacOS from the SSD I installed it on, the apple logo showed up with a progress bar that filled up completelly before the screen turned black, then grey with a cursor over the grey screen. Also, it's probably worth noting that the GPU's fans continue to spin from turning the system on, up to the point where the screen turns grey after which they stop spinning.

My system specs are as follows:
      CPU: i5 3470
      GPU: RX 570
      RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz 
      MB: Asrock B75m r2
      SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
      WiFi/BT: Fenvi FV-T919 PCIE Card

I am thinking that it's probably a gpu related issue as everything about the installation process has gone pretty smoothly up to the point where it's displaying a grey screen at bootup (and not going further). I have attached a photo of the output from rebooting with the verbose bootflag (it's missing one line at the bottom "busy timeout[1], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'"), after the verbose output stays on the screen for a few minutes the screen then turns grey with the cursor and hangs there.