HP ProBook 470 G5 - i7-8550U - UHD 620, GeForce 930MX

1 post in this topic

I've read a a bunch of threads from folks with the HP ProBook 470 G5... wanted to ask how things went or are going with their 470 G5.  I've just bought one and was thinking of putting High Sierra on a separate SSD drive... could you share your experience.

...24 hours later...

I went ahead and bit the bullet. I had an extra SSD drive with High Sierra already on it... seems like it's the UHD 620 giving folks a lot of headaches.  I read a bunch of threads and spent at least 8 hours or more trying THIS and trying THAT... I really didn't have much success.  Then I found a thread regarding the UHD 630 and it helped a lot... Google " Guide - Native Intel UHD630 Graphics support in macOS 10.13.6"

The SSD was installed with 10.13.1 ... so, I updated it to 10.13.6, and I used the 15,2 profile. NOTE: I wasn't able to install the Supplement Update (10.13.6) #1 or #2 ... probably because the drive doesn't have a recovery partition.  I looked at the pkg and sure enough it has a payload for the Recovery Partition... I'll work on that another time.

Regardless though, success finally.   I'm able to boot into High Sierra (10.13.6) with laptop's screen. I am still doing some tweaking.

It's says Graphics Display 7 MB, and it's lagging.

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p FHD - Full High Definition)
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

I'll mess around some more and report back when I fix some more stuff.

Oh, apparently I have the Realtek card and not the Intel one... looks like the G5 has 4 different offerings. Who Knew? LoL.

Cheers.