UEFI issues on Z97X-UD3H-BK...update firmware or user error?

d2a

7 posts in this topic

So I'm finally joining the grown-ups and trying to set up a new(ish) hack. In the past I've used legacy Clover with my old Gigabyte board and thought I knew what I was doing. But I've been trying to get a UEFI Clover-based install to work and it's going nowhere.

My new system (listed as SysB in sig) is a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK rev1.1 with firmware F6, an i7 4790K CPU and 4x4GB Corsair 1866MHz. I have the firmware settings set as per various guides and thought this should be a pretty painless transition...

I have successfully run the installer for El Cap several times, but can't get the machine to boot reliably - it seems to change behaviour each boot. Sometimes boot hangs at the Gigabyte logo after choosing boot volume via F12, sometimes it boots to clover but displays no bootable drives, sometimes displays ElCap SSD in Clover but wont boot from it with kernel cache error, and occasionally it will boot all the way.

What I'd like to know is:

1. Should I update the mobo firmware to the latest version? This board has two more recent Bios software downloads, but they wont allow me to drop back to the version currently installed. I'm nervous to update unless this is likely to be the culprit.
  2. Is this just a UEFI issue? If the simple answer is just go legacy mode, maybe I should just avoid the issue...
  3. FInally, does anyone else have a working clover install on this board they could share with me? I think I've got it set up as it should be but the strange inconsistent boot behaviour makes me wonder...

Thanks

I had updated this same board some weeks ago, and everything runed very fine.

Just pay attention to update it using a USB 2.0 port, and to format the Pendrive to FAT32 + MBR scheme.

If you use a patched DSDT, you'll need re-created it. But @MaLd0n can help you with that ;)

Use this videos to guide you:

And use this Clover folder after installing it: https://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8222

Just choose the correct folder to your Chipset!!

So just so I understand:

1. You have updated your Mobo firmware to f8?
  2. You successfully installed Clover UEFI with this board?

That's great news if so - gives me hope I can get there. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick reply

• Like 1

OK - I've made some progress. Updated firmware to F8. I've got it reliably booting from the SSD using a small number of tweaks in config.plist and a few kexts. I've got audio working using Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext, and sleep seems to be working well.

Kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other:

AppleALC.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Lilu.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

WhateverGreen.kext

BUT no luck getting the LAN working yet. Would you (or anyone else who's running this board) be prepared to share your clover setups? I'm pretty sure I can narrow it down but would be useful to see what a working setup looks like. Cheers

• 4 years later...
On 5/5/2019 at 7:04 AM, d2a said:

OK - I've made some progress. Updated firmware to F8. I've got it reliably booting from the SSD using a small number of tweaks in config.plist and a few kexts. I've got audio working using Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext, and sleep seems to be working well.

Kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other:

AppleALC.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Lilu.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

WhateverGreen.kext

BUT no luck getting the LAN working yet. Would you (or anyone else who's running this board) be prepared to share your clover setups? I'm pretty sure I can narrow it down but would be useful to see what a working setup looks like. Cheers

Are you still using this machine?  What OS are you running?