Is it worth it on a non-Metal supported card?

abhi.eternal

8 posts in this topic

Currently, I am running High Sierra without much problems via MacPwn. It was the only thin that worked.

Anyway, I wanted to upgrade to Mojave. I couldn't directly upgrade from the App Store and found that it needs a Metal supported to function properly. I currently have a Radeon HD 6670 card which does not support Metal (or so I found). So, from those who tried and from those who know better, I would like to know if it's worth the effort even to try upgrading to Mojave on my system or should I just stick with High Sierra? Thanks.

23 hours ago, Vyzantion said:

It is worth. I am doing it since the Mojave was in beta. I use the dosdude1 patch. It works pretty much quite like High Sierra, no less. But it is much hard on ATI then on Nvidia.

You can get the dosdude1 patch from here http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

Well, I had to format and reinstall HS as for some reason it wasn't loading. This time I formatted APFS and it let me start the Mojave upgrade from the App Store. However, it got stuck at around 85%-90%, I guess due to the hardware.

I then tried the dosdude1 patch and the installation gets stuck at about 95%, with the white apple logo and white bar. I have let it run for more than an hour and nothing is happening. I can see the mouse cursor on the top-left but it disappears if I try to move it. I have tried reinstalling but same problem. Any suggestions?

How did you create the installer? Did you made put the installer as the instructions say? Read the FAQ? After I put the installer from the Install Mojave App using the dosdude1 app, I install Clover as I usually do, put FakeSMC and the rest of the kexts in. Try re-installing it using verbose mode and see where it gets stuck.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, abhi.eternal said:

Well, I had to format and reinstall HS as for some reason it wasn't loading. This time I formatted APFS and it let me start the Mojave upgrade from the App Store. However, it got stuck at around 85%-90%, I guess due to the hardware.

I then tried the dosdude1 patch and the installation gets stuck at about 95%, with the white apple logo and white bar. I have let it run for more than an hour and nothing is happening. I can see the mouse cursor on the top-left but it disappears if I try to move it. I have tried reinstalling but same problem. Any suggestions?

If you have multiboot, boot into your working macos system, enter mojave/System/Library/Frameworks remove OpenGL.framework and paste from this link. Then enter M/S/L/PrivateFrameworks and remove GPUSupport.framework and paste new one. Original frameworks best backup somewhere. Then boot your Mojave with boot flags -v -s. Next commands:  mount -uw /    cd /System/Library/Frameworks   chmod -R 755 OpenGL.framework   chown -R 0:0 OpenGL.framework  cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks  

chmod -R 755 GPUSupport.framework  chown -R 0:0 GPUSupport.framework

exit      Should work, mine works :dev:

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, hardcorehenry said:

If you have multiboot, boot into your working macos system, enter mojave/System/Library/Frameworks remove OpenGL.framework and paste from this link. Then enter M/S/L/PrivateFrameworks and remove GPUSupport.framework and paste new one. Original frameworks best backup somewhere. Then boot your Mojave with boot flags -v -s. Next commands:  mount -uw /    cd /System/Library/Frameworks   chmod -R 755 OpenGL.framework   chown -R 0:0 OpenGL.framework  cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks  

chmod -R 755 GPUSupport.framework  chown -R 0:0 GPUSupport.framework

exit      Should work, mine works :dev:

I tried this but GPUSupport.framework was not there in the installer. Copied it anyway. On exit, the installer gets stuck at 'Creating RAM disk at /var/log' in the very next line.

Without the GPUSupport.framework file, installer get stuck at 'Creating RAM disk for /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays' after few lines.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:16 PM, Vyzantion said:

How did you create the installer? Did you made put the installer as the instructions say? Read the FAQ? After I put the installer from the Install Mojave App using the dosdude1 app, I install Clover as I usually do, put FakeSMC and the rest of the kexts in. Try re-installing it using verbose mode and see where it gets stuck.

I can reach the OS X installer fine. How do I use verbose mode once I am using GUI from the Apple screen? Where do I place the FakeSMC and other kexts from the HS system? Btw, the USB installer by default has the -v flag.

10 hours ago, abhi.eternal said:

I tried this but GPUSupport.framework was not there in the installer. Copied it anyway. On exit, the installer gets stuck at 'Creating RAM disk at /var/log' in the very next line.

Without the GPUSupport.framework file, installer get stuck at 'Creating RAM disk for /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays' after few lines.

I can reach the OS X installer fine. How do I use verbose mode once I am using GUI from the Apple screen? Where do I place the FakeSMC and other kexts from the HS system? Btw, the USB installer by default has the -v flag.

After the dosdude1 app finishes, install Clover into the pen drive. Then go to the EFI partition on the pen drive, on Kexts, on Other, and place FakeSMC and the rest of kexts mandatory for your installation (like the ethernet kext). Verbose mode can be added via boot flags, into the Clover boot menu, or using Clover Configurator - After you finish installing Clover, right click the boot.plist file on the EFI partition on the pen drive and select to open it with Clover Configurator. Add the -v boot flag, save it and would be it. Install from the pen drive, then boot again from the pen drive to install the patches (select the most appropriate Mac version from the menu, the patch does not follow the system definitions selected by Clover automatically), rebuild the caches via the menu from the patacher, then reboot and boot into the new OS install via the Clover from the pen drive.

Your situation is probably somewhat more complicated then mine, since your hardware has an AMD GPU, mine has an Nvidia one. Mojave tends to get more problems with AMD GPUs then with Nvidia GPUs on older hardware, especially if the CPU lacks the SSE 4.2 instruction set.

There is a thread on the Macrumors forums where all the issues regarding running Mojave on non-Metal compatible hardware, in fact, on the thread dosdude1 discusses the development of his app with the rest of the developers. You can post there as well. 

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/

Edited by Vyzantion