What is difference between tese folders /L/E and /CLOVER/kexts/Other

Addrii30

10 posts in this topic

Well for a start. IF you don't have Mac OS Installed, you have /L/E so obviously need kexts in /C/k/O

Once Mac OS is Installed its user choice if you want to use /L/E

INMHO, I just use /C/k/O, guaranteed NOT to have any problems.

Sometimes you may have a kext that doesn't appear to work and NEEDS to be put into /L/E to fulfil some missing dependencies that aren't present when loading from /C/k/O.

• Thanks 1

Each to their own
Good info

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Each to their own
Good info

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Until yesterday, I was installing all 3rd-party kexts (including FakeSMC) in /L/E, duplicating "essential" kexts (including FakeSMC) in E/C/k/O and setting Clover "Inject Kexts" to DETECT.  I found that with BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext in /L/E, my Brcm Bluetooth firmware wasn't updating reliably in Catalina 10.15.3 and that for 10.15.3, I must use BrcmFirmwareData.kext in E/C/k/O with Clover "Inject Kexts" = YES.  The /L/E kext / DETECT strategy works fine for 10.13.6 and 10.14.6, so this may have something to do with the introduction of BrcmFirmwareInjector for Catalina.

Since I now have to set Clover "Inject Kexts" = YES for working Bluetooth in Catalina, I have move all 3rd-party kexts to E/C/k/O and am using the same EFI for 10.13.6, 10.14.6 and 10.15.3 (triple-boot).  See discussion here.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:34 AM, Hervé said:

:no: I disagree; using Clover's kext folder(s) certainly ain't a guarantee against problems. Far from it and I'd even dare to say quite the opposite!

@Hervé, For all the reasons you state in multiple threads, I have always and still prefer to install 3rd-party kexts in /L/E with only essential kexts in E/C/k/O and Clover's "Inject Kexts" = DETECT.  I have found that Brcm Bluetooth firmware for my laptop/bluetooth is reliable only when I have the Brcm kexts in E/C/k/O and Clover's "Inject Kexts" = YES. 

Is it possible to selectively "force" kext injection of only some kexts from E/C/k/O while still installing FakeSMC and other 3rd-party kexts in /L/E with Clover's "Inject Kexts" = DETECT?

Not sure I'm asking this correctly, but I'd prefer to follow your /L/E kext installation strategy which is currently prevented by the way I need to install Brcm Bluetooth kexts in E/C/k/O.

Thank you.

Edited by tonyx86

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

... why don't you experiment with Clover's ForceKextsToLoad option?

Sounds interesting.  Will experiment with that.

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

As far as those Broadcom Bluetooth firmware kexts are concerned, I also believe Rehabman clearly explained what the various kexts did and how they can be used; this includes behaviour/usage in relation to caching vs. injecting:

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM

Rehabman's BrcmBluetooth kexts have been updated for Catalina by headkaze and mieze with the requirement for a new BrcmPatchRAM3.kext - see here.

Thank you!

Edited by tonyx86
Corrected typo (changed BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext to BrcmPatchRAM3.kext)

@Hervé FYI - I was not able to get Clover's "ForceKextsToLoad" to work.  I placed two kexts (BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext) in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, set Clover's "Inject Kexts" to DETECT and added the two kexts to Clover's ForceKextsToLoad list.  Boot log shows the errors below.  If I set Clover's "Inject Kexts" to YES (without using ForceKextsToLoad), these kexts are injected without issue.  I suspect that I'm incorrectly using ForceKextsToLoad.   If you have any tips, they'd be appreciated.  Thanks!

Bootlog with kext path EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other:

9:042  0:000    Force kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\BrcmFirmwareData.kext
9:042  0:000  Failed to load extra kext (Info.plist not found): EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\BrcmFirmwareData.kext
9:042  0:000    Force kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
9:042  0:000  Failed to load extra kext (Info.plist not found): 

EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\BrcmPatchRAM3.kext

Boolog with fully-qualified kext path \Volumes\EFI\EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other:

9:059  0:000    Force kext: Volumes\EFI\EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\BrcmFirmwareData.kext
9:059  0:000  Failed to load extra kext (Info.plist not found): Volumes\EFI\EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\BrcmFirmwareData.kext
9:059  0:000    Force kext: Volumes\EFI\EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
9:059  0:000  Failed to load extra kext (Info.plist not found): Volumes\EFI\EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\BrcmPatchRAM3.kext

Edited by tonyx86

• 1 year later...

I am using macOS 11.6 with clover r5141 .

I had no issue before updating to Big Sur. But now no kext is loading from L\E . 

I have set Kextinject to Detect, Using RT variables as 0x24 (Booter config) and 0x67 (csractive config) .

tried repairing permission and rebuilding cache using Hackintool, Mac optimizer, Kext Utility but still kexts are noCLOVER.zipt loading.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:48 PM, Hervé said:

Slice described the mechanism necessary since Big Sur to rebuild the cache in his VoodooHDA 2.9.7 thread:

• adjust your SIP settings and reboot if required
  • enable Gatekeeper if disabled
  • manually copy kexts to /L/E through Terminal, not through Finder
  • when Gatekeeper prompts you to authorise the kexts, do so and reboot
  • cache will then be rebuilt
  • you may disable Gatekeeper again afterwards if you wish

Thank you.

It does work to some extent. But gatekeeper only asking to authorise few specific kexts like Intel energy driver, acidanthera's bluetooth driver but no confirmation or anything for most common kexts like whatever green, appleALC,VoodooPS2.

Edited by soumaxetuirk
  • Like 1