What is the best AMD vega 56 GPU?

3 posts in this topic

IM Looking to upgrade my GPU Card to a vega 56 card to the next few  weeks. i would be interested if someone could tell me of there exprence with using this card. also i would be interested  with water-cooling the card.

any thoughts and information greatfully received thank you

Yes at this time Vega cards are the fastest for Hackintosh which have full and native Apple drivers support, plus all macOS pro applications take advantage from OpenCL which Radeon cards are very powerful with.

Vega 56 has 56 compute units and 3584 cores where Vega 64 has 64 compute units and 4096 cores with higher clocks which makes it a bit faster, still the choice is yours.

My suggestion after getting the card is to clean install of macOS, I disable iGPU in BIOS and select iMac Pro1,1 as SMBIOS with my 8700K, if you use older chipset and IGPU is required then select iMac depending on your system chipset.

Even if those cards work without WEG+Lilu kexts it still better to include them to set the GPU address correctly in the system.

FCPX, DaVinci Resolve Apple Compressor and Apple Motion flies on my Vega 64 and I actually couldn't be more happy about its performance.

Good luck!

@RandomTech I had a MSI OC  Edition Vega 56. I have tried to get it working. all day. but have had no luck as it would not load metal acceleration

UPDATE: Fitted a replacement card. Metal now shows up and works. used RadionVega56 AircoolFanFix.kext to slow down fan

Edited by BALDY_MAN