Assus p5k pro Mojave install

smurff

6 posts in this topic

Hi insanelymac and all users, i have been trying to update my hackintosh from Yosemite 10.10.5 to Mojave with a fresh install but haven't managed.

My question is:

is it possible to install Mojave on a old system like mines.

Specs:

Assus p5k pro motherboard

LGA socket 775 intel Extreme x9650 cpu

GeeForce 8600 GT Graphics

Sata harddrive

I have Mojave install that i downloaded from the app store 6.03 size.

The problem i have ............

when i try and boot from the usb it does not boot at all, just a black screen with a cursor flicking top left screen, i have used Clover to make a bottable usb Mojave also i have used Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs and still the same issue, i do have a bit of knowledge and not a complete newbie, im starting to think maybe Mojave is not possible to install on my machine due to old motherboard and i dont have much settings to play with regards to whats required in bios.

any help or advice would be much appreciated as i need this update badly as my old software wont upgrade on Yosemite and i don't have funds to buy a new machine.

Edited by smurff

On 2/7/2019 at 4:42 PM, smurff said:

Thank you InsanelyMacaholic thats why the installer wont start, i will give it another try in a mo and i will post my out come here.

Post Update .... installed thanks herve, i used a legacy option and all went well, now i will try and fix kexts

I counted my hens before they hatched .... its installed but not fully, im stuck on the last part where you input your language, my machine just restarts before that opens, i havent figured out how to copy the telemetry plugin.

I have 2 internall sata drive and the USB attached to the machine.

i press f8 to choose where to boot from.

i believe from looking at the location where the telemetry plugin should be placed is on the drive of new Mojave install

if i boot into my OS yosemite i dont see the hard drive where Mojave is installed, i can open clover configurator and mount the EFI folder and thats all i can do.

OR

Do i open terminal after booting from my USB

I can live with updating the telemetry.plugin every update :)

Im getting error using the -Rf command? Unkwon syntax

ive uploaded 2 pictures, one with -Rf command and one without, i dont get error if i dont use the -Rf command but as you see it says cant find file on USB, the name of the USB is USB when i formatted the USB, ive placed the telemetry plugin inside the USB in zip and also extracted.

im obviously not getting the location correct using the shell to copy, please advice me how thanks.

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

Edited by smurff

• 2 years later...
On 2/7/2019 at 9:26 AM, Hervé said:

Yes, you can install recent macOS versions on that platform. However, that old nVidia card is obsolete for Mojave and you should consider replacing it by something more modern like an nVidia Kepler card (the only nVidia cards supported in Mojave) or an AMD model (GCN1.0 minimum).

C2D/C2Q platforms require a few adjustments/tricks to run Mojave:

1) the use of a Mojave-compatible SMBIOS (eg: iMac13,x) instead of good old iMac8,x/9,x/10,x that are unsupported

2) replacement of the telemetry plugin that causes KP and restart on non-SSE4.2 CPUs

See here for instance. You don't need to bother with the Mojave patcher tool.

Thanks for replying to this topic. I run a Asus P5Q with Sierra and i want to go mojave/catalina if possible. This topic is some years old. Is the above link the best way to install Mojave or Catalina on a 775 board? Or are there more simple ways now? 

I think i ran the tonymac guide for sierra back in the day but have to dig into it. 

Thanks in advance though!