9 posts in this topic

Hi insanelymac and all users, i have been trying to update my hackintosh from Yosemite 10.10.5 to Mojave with a fresh install but haven't managed.

My question is:

is it possible to install Mojave on a old system like mines.

Specs:

Assus p5k pro motherboard

LGA socket 775 intel Extreme x9650 cpu

GeeForce 8600 GT Graphics

Sata harddrive

I have Mojave install that i downloaded from the app store 6.03 size.

The problem i have ............

when i try and boot from the usb it does not boot at all, just a black screen with a cursor flicking top left screen, i have used Clover to make a bottable usb Mojave also i have used Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs and still the same issue, i do have a bit of knowledge and not a complete newbie, im starting to think maybe Mojave is not possible to install on my machine due to old motherboard and i dont have much settings to play with regards to whats required in bios.

any help or advice would be much appreciated as i need this update badly as my old software wont upgrade on Yosemite and i don't have funds to buy a new machine.

Edited by smurff

Advertisement

Yes, you can install recent macOS versions on that platform. However, that old nVidia card is obsolete for Mojave and you should consider replacing it by something more modern like an nVidia Kepler card (the only nVidia cards supported in Mojave) or an AMD model (GCN1.0 minimum).

C2D/C2Q platforms require a few adjustments/tricks to run Mojave:

1) the use of a Mojave-compatible SMBIOS (eg: iMac13,x) instead of good old iMac8,x/9,x/10,x that are unsupported

2) replacement of the telemetry plugin that causes KP and restart on non-SSE4.2 CPUs

See here for instance. You don't need to bother with the Mojave patcher tool.

Edited by Hervé

Thank you InsanelyMacaholic thats why the installer wont start, i will give it another try in a mo and i will post my out come here.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:42 PM, smurff said:

Thank you InsanelyMacaholic thats why the installer wont start, i will give it another try in a mo and i will post my out come here.

Post Update .... installed thanks herve, i used a legacy option and all went well, now i will try and fix kexts

I counted my hens before they hatched .... its installed but not fully, im stuck on the last part where you input your language, my machine just restarts before that opens, i havent figured out how to copy the telemetry plugin.

I have 2 internall sata drive and the USB attached to the machine.

i press f8 to choose where to boot from.

i believe from looking at the location where the telemetry plugin should be placed is on the drive of new Mojave install

if i boot into my OS yosemite i dont see the hard drive where Mojave is installed, i can open clover configurator and mount the EFI folder and thats all i can do.

OR

Do i open terminal after booting from my USB

I can live with updating the telemetry.plugin every update :)

:whistle:I believe I gave you a link which provides very detailed/very specific instructions. I can only suggest you read them... 

Im getting error using the -Rf command? Unkwon syntax

ive uploaded 2 pictures, one with -Rf command and one without, i dont get error if i dont use the -Rf command but as you see it says cant find file on USB, the name of the USB is USB when i formatted the USB, ive placed the telemetry plugin inside the USB in zip and also extracted.

im obviously not getting the location correct using the shell to copy, please advice me how thanks.

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

Edited by smurff

OMG... What shell is this? Clover's?

Can't see how you can get it wrong if you follow the guidance I linked you to...

Having

1. copied the telemetry plugin to the root of your USB installer
  2. booted the USB installer
  3. opened up Terminal app

you're meant to copy the telemetry plugin using the following command and syntax:

cp -Rf /com.apple.telemetry.plugin /Volumes/<name of target Mojave partition>/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/

where <name of target Mojave partition> is the name you gave to your Mojave partition. It seems you're not doing that...

Edited by Hervé

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wen1
      Work in progress

This is mini guide and config files for installing Mojave on a Dell XPS 13 9370.

I took inspiration from sensibleJoe at on reddit

My laptop's specs

i7-8550U Intel HD 620 Graphics UHD Display 256GB Samsung NVMe SSD PM961 Killer 1435 Wifi  
      Here is what works

Intel HD Graphics  Sleep Sound & Mic USB Wifi (Internal Killer Wifi will not work) Bluetooth Power Management Battery Management Screen Brightness Control  
      What does not work

Internal Wifi Camera SD Card reader  

I followed the vanilla guide here to create the Mac OS Mojave install USB. I used Mac OS 10.14.3.

Here are some rough steps

1. Create the USB installer for Mojave. You can use apple's own instructions
      2. Once the installer USB creation is complete, Install the latest version of clover to the USB disk with the following options 
      Install Clover for UEFI booting only
      Install Clover to the ESP

Leave everything else as default (minimal install without a bunch of drivers)

3. Then mount the EFI folder on the USB drive and replace the files in the config folder with the ones from the attached zip file over writing the files already there. This config is specifically for Dell XPS 13 9370.
      4. Go into the UEFI/BIOS on the laptop, Make sure your SATA mode is set to AHCI (And not Raid). Save and Exit
      5. Boot with the USB disk and install Mojave
      6. After the install is complete, Use the USB to boot again but this time boot into the newly installed Mojave partition.
      7. Install Clover on to the SSD with the same options as before.
      8. Then copy the config files to the EFI folder on the SSD overwriting the config folder there.
      9. Acquire the backlight AppleBacklightFixup.kext from here and install to /Library/Extensions (Thanks to Rehabman for the kext)
      10. Reboot.

EDIT: V4 fixes many things, like powermanagement, backlight control etc. you also need to install AppleBacklightFixup.kext to /Library/Extensions

CLOVER-v4.zip
    • By mhendawy
      Hello There,

I had Mojave 10.14.2 over HP ProBook 450 G4 and most probably all functions are working except an issue that when I connecting the device to HDMI it reboots. although the EFI is fully patched [ DSDT & SSDT] and the behavior of sleep\wakeup please find all the attached problem files.

Thanks 
      PrF.zip
    • By viktr
      Hi!

Please help - cannot install mojave on the gb z370n wifi, 8700, 2x samsung 970 nvme, rx570
      Downloaded latest clover and kexts and installation hangs at the beginning.
      Got some errors at boot (during clover boot, before menu appears) then boot "Mojave install" and then it stuck. Please help. Tried to turn off all fixes, tried old apfs.efi instead of apfsdriverloader - all with no success. Maybe it's a known issue and I'm just doing something completely wrong?

ty

clover.tar.gz

• By RougeOne
      Budget Workstation MacOS 10.14.1 build: z370 AORUS Gaming 5 - i5-8600K - RX 580 - UHD 630
      flawless iGPU/dGPU integration, fast FCPX editing/rendering, great overall performance for ~$1200 / ~£1000

Update: updated WhateverGreen and Lilu, then updated OS to 10.14.3 and everything is fine! Even iMessage, which previously I hadn't been able to make work, is now working - possibly the update flushed the NVRAM?

I'm gonna come straight out and admit it - I used newb tools which are considered taboo on InsanelyMac, and so this isn't so much an installation guide as it is a green flag to anyone considering the same hardware. My first and previous Hackintosh project was just over ten years ago and this site was massively helpful, so this is my (very small) way of giving back.

EFI DIRECTORY
      http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=97606131925137056003

HARDWARE
      CPU: Intel i5-8600K 3.6GHz hexacore (contains UHD 630 iGPU)
      CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim (no paste needed, and fan facing front)
      Mobo: GIGABYTE z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (WIFI)
      RAM: 1x 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX C16 2666MHz (in first slot)
      GFX Card: Sapphire RX 580 NITRO+ SE
      SATA: used ports 0, 1, 3, 5 (HDD problems when connected to port 4)
      HDD: generic
      DVD Drive: generic
      PSU: EVGA 500W Semi Modular (but you should get 650W!)
      Case: CoolerMaster CM590 III
      Fans: 2x stock case fans (one sucky on front, one blowy on back), 3x be quiet! BL046 120mm fans (two blowy on top, one sucky on front). Airflow near-perfectly balanced.

ADVICE
      With the Clover configuration, you want to pay close attention to all things relating to graphics. There are some specific settings for ACPI, Boot, Devices and Graphics which should be copied exactly in order to get the iGPU and dGPU to work in perfect harmony. For instance, make sure you use ig-platform-id 59120003 rather than 59120000 if you want FCPX to be usable. With the right settings, FCPX will not only run, but run flawlessly.

I was not able to figure out how to make NVRAM/PRAM behave itself, and I got errors when I tried to issue relevant commands. As a result, I could not at first get iMessage to work properly. It worked once on my first installation attempt but not from subsequent attempts. This Clover configuration therefore has no consideration whatsoever toward iMessage reliability - however, iMessage ended up working somehow, anyway - I noticed it after I'd updated to 10.14.3 but this may just have been coincidence.

Onboard WiFi does not work. There is no driver for it. I'm using wired ethernet to a bridge router as it was cheaper than getting a compatible PCI card.

Audio is working well after I installed the z370 audio patch, then the ALC1220 codecs, then AppleALC.

With kexts for generic 3rd party SATA and generic 3rd party eSATA, my HDDs and DVD drive work perfectly well.

Sleep/Wake functions run perfectly. iCloud functions run perfectly. Shutdown leaves the mobo LEDs on, annoyingly.

My USB 3 ports seem to suffer from low power output, and I don't know why.

Overall, this system appears to run about as well under MacOS 10.14 Mojave as it does under Windows 7. I would solidly recommend this build to anyone looking to build a computer for workstation purposes, on a budget.
    • By plasticworld
      After a long run, I successfully upgraded High Sierra to mojave 10.14 on an intel 5 series chipset MotherBoard.

MotherBoard: H55ms2
      RAM: 6GB
      GPU1: Saphire AMD RX 460
      GPU2: Nvidia 8400GS
      Storage: 500 GB HDD WD Green.

The requirement:
      1) macOS pre mojave.
      2) macOS mojave installer from Apple store.
      3) Empty partition or USB to upgrade from.
      4) Un-mout all unused dmgs.
      5) GPT/GUID HDD.

HOWOT:
      1) Prepare an empty partition or USB with at least 6 GB.
      2) Format the partition or USB with GUID partition table and HFS+ partition with a name BootablePartition.
      3) Go to /Application/Install macOS Mojave.app.
      4) Show Package Contents.
      5) Go to Contents/SharedSupport you will find BaseSystem.dmg.
      6) Double click on BaseSystem.dmg to mount.
      7) From Disk Utilty click on your partition or the USB that you prepared from number (2).
      8) Click on restore, and chose OS X Base System (BaseSystem.dmg image), then restore it to that partition or USB.
      9) After restoring rename the partition back to BootablePartition.
      9) Run this command:
      rm -rfv /Volumes/BootablePartition/System/Installation/Packages 10) Create a new folder instead of the broken link and name it Packages, run this command:
      mkdir -v /Volumes/BootablePartition/System/Installation/Packages 11) Go back to /Application/Install macOS Mojave.app and repeat number 2.
      12) Go to Contents/SharedSupport you will find InstallESD.dmg.
      13) Mount InstallESD.dmg.
      14) Run this command:
      cp -v /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/BootablePartition/System/Installation/Packages/ 15) Download the latest clover from https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
      16) Install clover on your USB BootablePartition or in a different USB to boot from it. delete all your CLOVER/kext/10.xx and keep others, make sure you don't have any extra kext rather than FakeSMC.kext in the other folder.
      in my case I used FakeSMC.kext and my lan kext RealtekRTL8111.kext.
      17) known Problems in my build: 
      If I updated directly from the apple store the installer in clover will boot with a cross circle sign.
      The FIX is to add this to Clover KextToPatch Thanks to @sunKi http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/327488-macos-high-sierra-final-release-is-out-17a365/page-10?do=findComment&comment=2505086 this fix is still working for me in mojave.
      <key>KextsToPatch</key> <array> <dict> <key>Comment</key> <string>fix IO error ICH10 for 10.13, credit SunKi</string> <key>Disabled</key> <false/> <key>Find</key> <data> RYX2D5XCiciD4P5mhcl4D4TSdQs= </data> <key>Name</key> <string>AppleAHCIPort</string> <key>Replace</key> <data> iciD4P5mhckPmMFBCMyQkJCQdQs= </data> </dict> <dict> <key>Comment</key> <string>fix hotplug ICH10 for 10.13, credit SunKi</string> <key>Disabled</key> <false/> <key>Find</key> <data> icglQGACAD1AIAAAdQyB4b9///+Ji1EBAAA= </data> <key>Name</key> <string>AppleAHCIPort</string> <key>Replace</key> <data> kJCQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJA= </data> </dict> <dict> <key>Comment</key> <string>External icons patch</string> <key>Disabled</key> <false/> <key>Find</key> <data> RXh0ZXJuYWw= </data> <key>Name</key> <string>AppleAHCIPort</string> <key>Replace</key> <data> SW50ZXJuYWw= </data> </dict> </array> 18) make sure you have apfs.efi copy it from /Volumes/BootablePartition/usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi to your EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/ and EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.
      19) SMBIOS mac model that I use is iMac13,2.
      20) Go to /Application/Install macOS Mojave.app click on it and chose to install to your macOS Mojave partition.
      21) Reboot.
      22) From clover chose BootablePartion.
      23) If everything is okie BootablePartition will boot to install macOS mojave, wait wait wait till it finish it might take to 1 hour just wait it will reach the auto reboot soon .
      24) Boot to your old macOS Hight Sierra that will be your mojave partition now and enjoy.

POST Install:
      1) audio: 
      a) Download Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext or build them from source (which I did).
      b) place them in your /EFI/CLOVER/kext/others/
      c) add your audio layout in clover/Devices dict options in my case it's ALC888B which has the layout of 1:
      <key>Audio</key> <dict> <key>Inject</key> <string>1</string> </dict> d) I had to add beta args to clover/Boot dict, argument (-lilubeta -alcbeta):

<key>Arguments</key> <string>-lilubeta -alcbeta</string> 2) Add number 14 KextsToPath array to your clover as well.

Anything else is working for me I didn't need any extra clover kext so far, I tried whatevergreen.kext to fire up my rx 460 without the helper card but no success, So I am just sticking with booting from Nvidia as a first GPU from my motherboard configuration then swap the cables after choosing my macOS partion from clover.

After upgrading my HFS+ High Sierra partition converted to APFS, no know problem so far.

Happy build and more info about the partitioning method with a more detailed instructions in this post that I used to update my Sierra to High Sierra

Special thanks to crazybirdy, sunKi and all of you out there that make this happens.