[REQUEST] DSDT SSDT for sleep and shutdown HP 17u 2EW64UA

Tobiko

36 posts in this topic

Hi, I tried patching with maciasl but it still doesn't sleep or shut down properly. I've included my Clover folder and re-dumped the SSDT/DSDTs and disassembled them. Could someone please help?

Much Appreciated

Edited by Tobiko
removed non current config file attachment

Here is a dump of everything using Runme app. 

I keep my kexts and Clover as updated as possible. At some point sleep is working! I just need proper shut down. 

Edited by Tobiko

Try this DSDT in Clover/ACPI/patched and this config.plist.  Also, remove AppleBacklightFixup from L/E - Backlight should work OOB.  Why do you have Nvidia settings?  Is it for HDMI?  I had that issue and solved it by using the old NvidiaGraphicsFixup along with Whatevergreen (even thought they say not to use them both together.) I also injected  Nvidia in Clover/Graphics in my config.plist. Let me know if you have any luck.

Archive.zip

• Like 1

Thank you very much. nVidia Web is no longer selected in the config.plust. I think at some point yes, I was trying to get the MX150 working over HDMI. That setting is usually not there and isn't there now. It looks like I picked a bad time to do the dump. :)

I moved AppleBacklightFixup to 'other' and cleaned up the kext cache, placed the DSDT in 'patched' and used the attached config.plist 

Upon reboot I get an ACPI error that eventually turns into garbled text with the stop sign.

Something about method parse/execution failed [\_SB_PCI0.LPCB.EC._Q66

20190117_154437.jpg

1 hour ago, mnfesq said:

Also, remove AppleBacklightFixup from L/E - Backlight should work OOB.

For whatever reason without AppleBacklightFixup loading along with SSDT-PNLF.aml the brightness slider and keys for brightness do not work. 

2 hours ago, Tobiko said:

Thank you very much. nVidia Web is no longer selected in the config.plust. I think at some point yes, I was trying to get the MX150 working over HDMI. That setting is usually not there and isn't there now. It looks like I picked a bad time to do the dump. :)

I moved AppleBacklightFixup to 'other' and cleaned up the kext cache, placed the DSDT in 'patched' and used the attached config.plist 

Upon reboot I get an ACPI error that eventually turns into garbled text with the stop sign.

Something about method parse/execution failed [\_SB_PCI0.LPCB.EC._Q66

1 hour ago, Tobiko said:

For whatever reason without AppleBacklightFixup loading along with SSDT-PNLF.aml the brightness slider and keys for brightness do not work. 

OK, in order to see whether brightness worked, you must have booted up, correct?  What did you do to get past the KP?  For testing purposes about the screen brightness, remove the SSDT and, using Clover configurator, add a PNLF device and see if you can get brightness to work without AppleBacklightFixup.

• Like 1

Hello, 

I was able to get back in after removing the DSDT and reverting back to my config.plist (without NVidia Web enabled).

You were right about AppleBacklightFixup. According to kextstat, AppleBacklightFixup wasn't even loading when it was in L/E. I got rid of it. I thought it worked in conjunction with SSDT-PNLF.aml. Apparently not. I've ditched that SSDT in favor of adding PNFL through Clover as per your suggestion. It works just as well as the SSDT did. I've also built the latest Clover and  kexts mostly out of boredom and not knowing what to try next.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't shut down all the way. The keyboard stays lit and the LED on the Ethernet port blinks. If it has been sleeping and or lid closed and opened, when I shut it down the LED on the Ethernet port won't blink. Either way I have to hold the power button for a few seconds for it to shut down all the way.

I've attached a current dump just to keep track of where everything is. 

Edited by Tobiko

For me, fixing shutdown required a DSDT patch that is not found in Clover Configurator.  Here's the link to the patch I used:

I added this patch the the custom DSDT I uploaded here.  You might want to try it again with your working config.plist and see if that helps.  I would rename the file to DSDT1.aml and manually apply it in Clover options on boot up so that, if it doesn't work, when you reboot and it looks for DSDT.aml, it will boot just fine.  if this patch doesn't work, there were a few other Shutdown patches on the Olarilla website that you might try but they were for Asus and Gigabyte motherboards.

• Like 1

I tried the attached DSDT with the working config and was able to boot in but shut down is still the same. I'll try some of the shutdown patches at Olarilla but I think at one point I tried them all. 

Edited by Tobiko

Maybe the shutdown issue has something to do with the NVidia dGpu?. The laptop doesn't need it disabled in order for it to work. It doesn't seem to make a difference if it is disabled in the config.plist or not. Right now it is disabled via the config.plist. It is not seen under System Profiler.

I think it may need to be disabled via DSDT/SSDT or maybe set to disable then enable again before shutdown. I just can't seem to do it correctly. I've tried following guides a couple of times and two other people gave it a shot but none of us could edit the DSDT/SSDT properly.

I've since moved the 'BCM' related kexts out of L/E and have them injecting though Clover so at least now there isn't anything in the system and then I did a clean 10.14.2 install to make 100% sure nothing was caching.  

Edited by Tobiko

As it turns out, I couldn't boot until my Nvidia gpu was disabled in my DSDT.  It appears that your's is successfully disabled.  However, my HDMI connector is wired to my Nvidia gpu so, in order to get HDMI to work, I kept my Nvidia gpu disabled in my DSDT but injected Nvidia in Clover/Graphics and put the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in my Clover/kexts along with Whatevergreen.  This had nothing to do with my shutdown problem but it's interesting that you bring that up as a possible reason for your shutdown issue.  Personally, I think it has nothing to do with it.  I'm thinking that you may have a portion of the code affecting shutdown in one of your SSDT's.  If you want to post your current runme output, I can take a look.

• Like 1

Thanks

I was reading something about shutdown problems in certain laptops if the dGPU was disabled and not re-enabled prior to shut down. But I agree, if that was the case it would have been shutting down when it was left enabled. 

Edited by Tobiko

1 hour ago, Tobiko said:

Oops I didn't include the F4 a boot menu dump. Here is the latest RunMe

Send me latest with F4 clover dump.zip

OK, I removed your GLAN device and added RehabMan's Shutdown Fix v.2.  Put this DSDT into Clover/ACPI/patched.  Remove the shutdown fix in Clover's config.plist.  Remember when you boot up to manually change the name of your dsdt file in Clover's config from DSDT.aml to DSDT1.aml. I'm hoping that, even if this doesn't fix shutdown, it will fix sleep.  I'm also wondering if shutdown will ever work unless sleep is fixed first.

DSDT1.aml.zip

• Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to help with all this.

Sleep has been working as well as close and open lid. I noticed it started working at some point after updating the BIOS and Intel ME firmware. I kind of mentioned it when I posted the first RunMe dump but it was kind of unclear.

I have a rescue USB stick so I can always boot in with that and undo any changes...

I renamed DSDT1.aml to just DSDT.aml and dropped it into patched. Then I removed Fix Shutdown from the config.plist and rebooted. It booted up fine but shutdown remains the same. Ethernet port blinking intermittently, keyboard back light and power button lit. 

Edited by Tobiko

Hmm. I'm not sure. I see now those alarms in WakeReason.txt but it has been appearing to stay asleep until I wake it (open lid, press key, move mouse).

With your DSDT loaded, I'll let it sleep and do another dump and see if the wakereason.txt changes.

Edited by Tobiko

I'm not sure if it is a result of the DSDT but when I close the lid the external display stays on and the dock moves over to it. Does Mojave do clamshell mode by default?

Ok waiting to see if it sleeps any different.

Edited by Tobiko

4 minutes ago, Tobiko said:

I'm not sure if it is a result of the DSDT but when I close the lid the external display stays on and the dock moves over to it. Does Mojave do clamshell mode by default?

Ok waiting to see if it sleeps any different.

So what's the deal with your setup?  Do you always have an external display connected to your laptop?  I would try to get your laptop working without any attached external devices so you can isolate any issues resulting from the external display connection.  Is it an HDMI connection or DP?

It's HDMI. I connected it last night after doing a clean install to make sure it was working with HDMI audio etc etc. I can unplug it for the rest of the tests. It is usually not connected.

The only other thing plugged into it is power and mouse dongle. 

Do you think the PCIe SD Card reader could be related to the shut down issue? I don't think mac OS see's it at all. 

19 minutes ago, Tobiko said:

It's HDMI. I connected it last night after doing a clean install to make sure it was working with HDMI audio etc etc. I can unplug it for the rest of the tests. It is usually not connected.

The only other thing plugged into it is power and mouse dongle. 

Do you think the PCIe SD Card reader could be related to the shut down issue? I don't think mac OS see's it at all. 

For test purposes, I would remove the mouse dongle as well.  I think the card reader kext is not a problem.  I'm assuming you are using Sinetek's card reader kext like I do.

3 minutes ago, Tobiko said:

It looks like that pesky GLAN device is still at it and HDAS. Perhaps I should do the HDAS>HDEF rename? I thought AppleALC did that automatically. 

As for GLAN, it's probably not interfering with sleep.  You can test it with the lid open by selecting the apple icon in the menu bar and then selecting sleep from there.  As for HDAS->HDEF, I would make that change.  AppleALC does not do that  but it's also not likely related to the issue you are working on now.

24 minutes ago, Tobiko said:

I edited that post since the quote. The GLAN device is no longer showing up in wakereason. Well, it is but those were from a couple of hours ago. Since using your DSDT the entries show HDAS as a wake reason.

Try this DSDT.  Remove the shutdown fix and PNLF device from Clover config.plist.

DSDT.aml.zip