Help me recover OS X please!

walterg74

16 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have an MSI Wind Netbook in which I happily had a dual boot with Windows XP and OS X 10.5. There is one partition for Windows and one for OS X.

As XP was showing it's age and being impractical, I decided to replace it with Windows 7 to give the machine a boost. 

While I knew I would lose the ability to boot into OS X after installing Win 7, I though I remembered how to fix/repair this. Boy was I wrong...

So here I am after searching with no results to ask for help to see if someone can guide me as to how to run a repair or whatever it was to be able to get Darwin back with the 2 choices to boot either on startup. (of course if there's a different way too, I would gladly welcome it.).

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, styrian said:

Hello!

You are a member for more then 10 years and it seems, that you never had some minutes time to read the rules til to the end nor the time to edit your signature since then.

Have fun. :yes:

I actually did read the rules, and saw some nice guidelines regarding signatures. It doesn’t state anywhere it’s mandatory to have one?

5 minutes ago, styrian said:

Hello!

Hopefully you will not get proper support with you unknown hardware.

Have fun.

Hopefully there are people smart enough to know what an MSI Wind has inside, and from past experiences this place is filled with people that are nice and helpful and not di*ks. Go on now, I’m sure there are tons of other signature-less posts for you to fill your empty life with...

Edited by walterg74

@walterg74

Whats the problem with making a signature?

People can see at a glance what you have and not have to use google.

Each post you make will contain your signature.

Do yourself a favour and spend 5 minutes making one.

You will reap the rewards for doing so...

3 minutes ago, STLVNUB said:

@walterg74

Whats the problem with making a signature?

People can see at a glance what you have and not have to use google.

Each post you make will contain your signature.

Do yourself a favour and spend 5 minutes making one.

You will reap the rewards for doing so...

You are right, however, have you read my post? Is the hardware relevant for this specific issue? Come on now...

Hi,
Fast answer :
Boot windows7, install EasyBCD, add OSX boot option , reboot.

Then you should boot again from windows bootloader into win7 and OSx..

After that if you wanna have chameleon bootloader again as main screen to choose which os to run, you must set active OSx partition.

sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PippoX0 said:

Hi,
Fast answer :

After that if you wanna have chameleon bootloader again as main screen to choose which os to run, you must set active OSx partition.

sent from my iPhone

Thanks PippoX0,

Before trying that I stumbled onto this thread: 

I did this:

Booted msi OS X install disc in single mode and ran:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

update

flag 2

write

quit

reboot

And got Darwin back. Now I can leave it to boot OS X, which works fine, or select the windows option, but if I choose it now Windows doesn’t star and gives an errror stating that windows failed to start and:

”the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible”...

Was there an easy way to fix this now that it’s so close..?

(doing the above again but flagging the first partition has windows booting again but of course with no os x selection/booting)

Edited by walterg74

14 hours ago, PippoX0 said:

Hi,
Fast answer :

sent from my iPhone

Almost worked... however, after adding the entry and booting into OS X, I just get a light blue solid screen...

Ok... seems it was because I chose NST, and should have picked MBR...

Now it works *but* there is still one little glitch there.,,

on startup I have the menu, and the option to choose Windows 7 and Mac OS X Leopard. 

If I pick Windows 7, it boots fine. 

If I pick Mac OS X, it does go into my old friend Darwin, however for some reason it now defaults to booting the windows partition (it used to default to OS X) and that of course brings me to a loop (if left alone of course, if I manually pick OS X it boots that and now comes up fine). 

So I guess the last cleanup I need is how do I change what Darwin uses as default, and also can I remove the timer or make it really short like 1-2 seconds?

Thanks all.