Mac Pro - Tough Decisions

nickname

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I've recently started doing a lot of web design and would like to toss my old mini and get the Mac Pro. I guess the best way to get some help would be by telling you what I intend to do on the Mac.

Here are a list of programs I use:

1.) Dreamweaver

2.) Photoshop

3.) Pro-Tools

4.) Various Audio Applications

5.) Various Video Applications

Most of what I will be doing on the computer is web design, video editing, photogrpahy, and some 3D modelling. I don't want to spend more than I need to. I would love to go with the best of everything but I think it would be more than I need.

Any suggestions?

I would keep with the two 2.66 ghz duals (the 3 ghz don't offer that much of a boost). also, go with the ATI Radeon X1900 XT. you'll want a good video card and the quadro is bascially the same thing other than a couple outputs only used in the scientific field.

as for hard drive space and wireless features, you'll have to decide that one on your own. you'll probably have to upgrade your space, but i don't know exactly how much you need. one 23" display would probably be enoough too, but you may already have one you can use...

Tthe ATI card would perform better. The only exception that I can think of is if you are doing something really demanding of the card on both displays. Then the two separate cards might be better. Otherwise though, the ATI card is going to offer the best performance. But during normal use, one display will probably be the only one using the bulk of your card's power.

ditto on the ati card. unless you're doing tasks that mean each monitor will use a seperate (intense) datastream. barring that, you should be good with a single 512mb card.. and the quattro is still way overpriced

on the ram side of things, you may want to place an order for an additional 2 sticks of ram to enable your 256-bit ram array (4 sticks does that) i'd buy the system with the stock 1gig (2 x 512) from apple and buy another couple gigs from crucial or newegg

hard drive wise, i'd say get the single 500gig and add on more later as you need them. apple's hd prices are a gouge

get the bluetooth/wireless module as well