Boot FL1100

Jief_Machak

15 posts in this topic

See the driver XhciDxe  and make a debug for it why it is not working with your controller.

In past I did the procedure for external VLC controller and I was successful.

May be you have to flash this driver into your UEFI BIOS.

• Like 1

i have  the same card. AppleUSBXHCIFL1100. and it dose not. activate till the os as booted. and driver loaded.

i know this as i can not wake up the pc  from a mouse or key board  plugged into the usb card. once booted into the os it works fine

i think you would need to convert the driver to a ffs file and add to your bios  with uefi tool. so clover sees driver  in the preboot part of the bios.

Of course, so far I have to boot clover from a usb stick connected to the main usb port, not the FL1100 ones. That's fine for now.

Sorry, I'm new to USB 3 and never heard of XhciDxe. So I tried it.

XhciDxe allows Clover to see my external USB hard drive, but only if I use a cable to force it USB 2.

With an USB 3 cable, nothing happens.

I have to dig into that...

Thanks Slice.

@BALDY_MAN I don't think a os x driver can be "converted" to efi.

@Jief_Machak A kext file ie that controls a part for your motherboard. in my case a network kext can be converted to a ffs file. in your case  the usb controler kext for youR card and than added to a copy of YOUR bios. with UEFI TOOL then. reflash the modded bios  to your motherboard(ie bios with you converted  kext . so then in your case usb3 card can be active  before clover

Edited by BALDY_MAN

It's not because you put kext in BIOS that they are active at bios time. Nowadays, BIOS is not bios anymore but a small file system that contains ffs module. Ozmosis will get these module to inject in os x kernel. It's a strict equivalent to put a kext in Clover kext folder, except you don't need a partition for clover anymore.

@TheRacerMaster Am I right ?

9 hours ago, BALDY_MAN said:

I Thought that ffs files from bios. would load first and. make your usb card active for the hard drive to be visible .

sorry if i was mistaken

Yes, mistaken. There are two stages:

1. EFI environment with own set of drivers *.efi

2. macOS environment with kexts.

Second will not work in first stage.

I know you confused with Osmosis where you didn't see the wall between 1 and 2 while it presents.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/29/2018 at 11:42 AM, Slice said:

See the driver XhciDxe  and make a debug for it why it is not working with your controller.

In past I did the procedure for external VLC controller and I was successful.

Hi @Slice

reviving this since it seems to be still an issue with XhciDxe driver + FL1100.

Usb 3.0 pendrive or device with a bootable installer plugged in into a usb 3.0 port of FL1100 doesn't work, it also prevents other devices to work properly (for example keyboard and mouse).

Usb 3.0 pendrive or device with a bootable installer plugged in into a usb 2 hub (note: using a usb 2 extension cable is not working, even in mac os the usb device is seen attached to usb 3, so I need to attach the usb 3 device to a usb 2 hub), the hub attached to FL1100 usb 3.0 port does work, so the issue seems to be specific for XhciDxe + FL1100.

I'm using qemu+kvm and ovmf has builtin support for UHCI/EHCI/XHCI.

If it does not require too much time, could you explain more into details what do you mean by "make a debug.." and how did you solve for your controller?

I can build a debug version of XhciDxe directly from edk2/ovmf, but from there I'm quite lost.

Thank you!

@Jief_Machak did you solve perhaps this issue, meaning are you able to see an installer in a usb 3 device directly attached to the usb 3 port of the FL1100?

Edited by ghost8282