$350 Snazzylabs Build - What to Change from Snazzy/TonyMac Guide to Dual Boot Win10?

Dubesor

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm looking at building the Snazzylabs $350 build but hoping it can be made a dual boot machine.

http://www.snazzylabs.com/350-dollar-hackintosh-build/

I've got a couple questions about dual booting: 

1) Will it even work? lol

2) If it's possible, what do I need to do differently from the BIOS settings and TonyMac universal install guide steps 1-4 etc they reference in the Snazzylabs guide?

3) I want macOS and Windows to share the main SSD. Exactly how do I need to format the drive/partitions and in what order should I install the different OS, bootloader, etc?

4) I would like both OSes to read/write each other's files even though they're on different partitions. So what file system(s) should I set them up with and how to format during install - APFS, HFS+, NTFS so confused ...

5) Will it all fit on the SSD? I think I need about 8GB for macOS and 17GB for Win10 before any apps are installed - which leaves about 85GB left on the Snazzy guide SSD.

I also own a 256GB SSD that I can use, since I'll need a bunch of apps and my Adobe Lightroom catalog and scratch disk on the system SSD drive (these can grow large).

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd love to figure out how to work this without getting really bogged down; so I don't revert to Win10 only :( 

Edited by Dubesor

38 minutes ago, Allan said:

All that you really need it's here:

Thanks! Looks like a great guide, but for someone who hasn't done this before it's still really confusing, even the initial understanding of how everything can work together - or not.

Especially those questions 2-4 I put about Mac/Win sharing the same drive and accessing each other files - what partition/filesystem setup is needed for that and in what order to set them up etc

Like can my idea even work, and how is this possible. I know Mac can read/write NTFS cause I'm alerady doing that, but will Windows also be able to read/write the Mac filesystem ie APFS ...

I'd like to get a little more understanding of the basics before I buy hardware and start trying to install...

Edited by Dubesor

27 minutes ago, Dubesor said:

but will Windows also be able to read/write the Mac filesystem ie APFS ...

There's some free/non-free software that can help you with that.

But talking about a personal experience, I prefer use each system in it's own HDD/SSDs. And if you want a drive/partition to share files, you can use it as ExFat format, and a good news about ExFat is that it's native in both systems (macOS and Windows), so it's no necessary install any software at all! ;)

4 minutes ago, Allan said:

There's some free/non-free software that can help you with that.

But talking about a personal experience, I prefer use each system in it's own HDD/SSDs. And if you want a drive/partition to share files, you can use it as ExFat format, and a good news about ExFat is that it's native in both systems (macOS and Windows), so it's no necessary install any software at all! ;)

Thanks for that tip, that's really helpful. So on my little SSD I'd need 3 partitions (macOS OS partition, Windows OS partition, ExFat partition for sharing files between the two).
I think I'll run into space issues with that on the 120GB SSD but might work on the 256GB one I have. At least I'm starting to see what I can do and should do.
Then what order do these 3 partitions get created in / which OS needs to go first? Wish there was a step by step guide for the type of scenario I'm thinking about ...

20 minutes ago, Dubesor said:

Then what order do these 3 partitions get created in / which OS needs to go first? Wish there was a step by step guide for the type of scenario I'm thinking about ...

In our Forum we have many guides, and very good ones.

So, if you use our Search bar at the right top of the page, you'll get some results like this:

:)

19 minutes ago, Allan said:

In our Forum we have many guides, and very good ones.

So, if you use our Search bar at the right top of the page, you'll get some results like this:

Maybe I'm being really dense but it still doesn't talk about at what stage does OSX come in? Installed before this win10 guide? Installed after?

I'm not the least technical person out there, but still this stuff is really confusing and makes me want to either bail on trying to dual boot it; or bail on building a Hackintosh altogether (and just clean install Windows on my build). I'd really rather figure it out somehow, but the questions I have above that I would think are just basic good planning (what system goes first, what FS to choose) - they don't really get covered in these step by step guides that I've seen like the two posted here and others I've found in search. 

I just want to know what I'm trying is possible and in broad strokes how it's supposed to be set up - before I invest a lot of money on parts and time installing stuff without a plan of what gets installed in what order and how it will fit and work together in the end. 

Edited by Dubesor