NVME PCI-e controller

ergot

12 posts in this topic

Hi ,

Is anyone try out an NVME PCI-e controller on a Mac OS?

I am considering to buy one and I have 2 options:

Dell Ultra-Speed Drive Quad NVMe M.2 PCIe x16 Card

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0714MMD6M/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1537779895&sr=1-1

Or

Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion NV Me M.2

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Hyper-M-2-x16-Card/dp/B0753JTJTG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1537780337&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+hyper+m.2+x16+pcie+expansion+card

the DELL cost about 110$ (found a cheap saller) and the Asus about 70$, I heard that the Asus is plug and play card but need to try, any recommendation?

Thanks

thanks fabiosun, I have a generic adapter for my Pro 950 and its working fine with full bandwidth speed X4 on PCIeX16, I want to create a RAID 0 with a cheap 1TB NVME drives for video work, hopefully the Asus adapter will work...

the NVME drives are locally made here in China with R/W speed of about 2000mb/s cost about 145$ comparing the 970 pro 1tb 400$... :) 

Testing time ahead... ;) 

there are many nvme to pciE adapter  at cheap price on amazon

Problem could be temperature and relative down speed

then 2000 mb/s is good for 4k and more timeline ..but 4000 mb/s is better :)

Thank you for your reply !

when you say the HighPoint is bootable with clover, any setting need to be done in clover for RAID boot, or ...?

my CPU have 40 lanes it should be enough although I was thinking to add another Tesla card for computing but then I will left with only 8x...and maybe causes bottleneck in my system. 

Buying X299 system will be expensive for my needs right now... :)

Now I have already a cheap adapter (cost me less than 10$) which running fine on both HS and Mojave. Since I’m working with video files I want the fastest drive for editing, caching etc.

Edited by ergot

7 hours ago, antoniooninato said:

hi just like you said the SM981 is the OEM version of the 970 PRO so they should be almost identical in terms of speed

yes there is almost no performance loss in running the GPU at 8x vs running the GPU at 16x

hi, SM981 is released?