[GUIDE] Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 with macOS Mojave

doixanh

19 posts in this topic

This follows my previous guide for macOS Sierra.

0. What works and does not

Works

- CPU power management

- QE/CI on Integrated Intel HD 4000

- Keyboard/Trackpad

- HDMI and LVDS output

- Audio: Headphone, speaker, HDMI (?).

- Ethernet

- Camera

- Battery info

- Bluetooth

- USB

Does NOT work

- Internal Wifi. Workaround: USB wifi or replace your internal wifi with a supported mPCI-e card.

- Sleep: does not work with an USB wifi. Workaround: Replace your internal wifi with a supported card.

- VGA out. Workaround: Use an « active » HDMI to VGA adapter. I use this way to connecting my laptop to projectors.

- Discrete AMD GPU

- Card reader. Workaround: Use an external USB card reader.

1. Specs

My Dell Inspiron 15R SE still has the following specs (I haven't upgraded it since Yosemite) :

- Intel Core i7 3632QM with Intel HD Graphic 4000

- 8GB + 4GB RAM (12GB total)

- 128GB Samsung EVO SSD + 1TB HDD

- AMD Radeon 7730M, won't be used by any Hackintosh build

- Full HD 15.4" screen

2. Requirements

- A Dell 7520, of course :D

- An USB Stick, minimum 16GB. Any 16GB should work.

- A pair of USB Mouse / Keyboard during the installation and fixes (you can use your built in keyboard and touchpad later)

- An existing Hackintosh (or a real Mac, if you have any ;) )

- Downloaded «Install macOS Mojave Beta» from App Store.

- A GPT-partitioned hard drive

- A 20GB (minimum) partition as the target.

- Dosdude1's macOS Mojave Patcher

3. Create USB Install. For full guide please see here

- Boot your existing Hackintosh or real Mac.

- First you need to be sure that you have downloaded the app «Install macOS Mojave» from App Store

- Use Disk Utilities to partition your USB stick with 1 partition in GPT mode, and choose «OS X Extended (Journaled)» as partition type. Note: don't use any space in label of your disk.

- Run Dosdude1's macOS Mojave Patcher, select the installer app, select usb disk as target.

- Be patient. It's quite slow.

- Download and install Clover Bootloader v4658 to the usb disk, note to install using EFI boot only

- Copy attached config.plist to /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/

- Copy attached kexts to /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/Other/

- Download NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and put it in /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/Other/

- Reboot after finishing creating your USB for installation.

4. Install

- During boot, press F12 to have boot list. Choose your USB to start. Set ig-platform-id to 0x01660004 to boot the installation.

- It should boot directly to the installation UI

- Select Utilities and Disk Utility.

- Format your target partition as OS X Extended (Journaled). APFS can be used but it's your own risks :)

- Exit Disk utility.

- Begin the install procedure - it should be there already. Choose your newly formatted partition. Follow the instruction. Wait for a while (in my case I waited around 10 minutes).

- It will restart your computer as soon as it finishes the file copy.

- You still need to boot from USB. Hit F12 during boot to show boot list. Choose your USB to start. Set ig-platform-id to 0x01660004, select your installed partition and press Enter.

- You will be able to see user creation. Follow the instructions on screen. When you get to your desktop, rebuild kernel cache:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -u /

- Reboot, you should be able to use both LVDS and HDMI outputs (with default ig-platform-id 01660003, already patched using this guide) with proper kext and config.plist attached.

Welcome to macOS Mojave!

100241270_ScreenshotatSep1714-59-05.thumb.png.47b13a0af2020acb05ccafee9fca6826.png

5. Device fixes

Most of the fixes are included in the attached kext zip.

5.1. CPU Power Management

Works fine with macOS Mojave (official version) as long as you use ssdtPRGen.sh as instructed here. Don't forget to delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext afterward.

5.2. Wifi

The integrated wifi doesn't work. At all. I used an external wifi dongle TP Link WN725N (v2) for Internet access. After that I replaced the internal wifi with a Atheros AR5B29 and it works natively :)

If you use this AR5B29, copy the attached AirPortAtheros40.kext into /System/Library/Extensions

config.plist.zip

kexts.zip

AirPortAtheros40.kext.zip

Edited by doixanh
  • Like 1

Without the dosdude1's patch the installation went corrupted and I don't know why. I tried using the createinstallmedia command yet still went wrong.

The AR5B29 is essentially an Atheros 9285 (link to buy on ebay). I got the name on Windows Device Manager :D There is no patch applied for the kext, but it is removed on Mojave, so I got that one from High Sierra to make the AR5B29 work again on Mojave.

I'll update the #3 once I have some free time.

Thanks for your comments :)

It's a natively supported card on pre-Mojave, no patch is required. I had no problem at all using it on Yosemite - High Sierra. 

However it's a problem of Mojave to drop support for it. The kext was intendedly removed from Mojave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 1:19 AM, doixanh said:

- You will be able to see user creation. Follow the instructions on screen. When you get to your desktop, rebuild kernel cache:

How are you? I would like to thank you for the tutorial. Could you help me with a problem? After booting with the pendrive created by the clover of its indication and its list (info.plist) the system does not go to the second part, which would give me access to the desktop. It simply resets. Using the patch macOS Mojave Patcher, the system goes to the second part, however using the configuration of a Macbook Pro 8.2. In short, the way you are in the tutorial you have done I can not make the system work. Below is the information in txt about the error. 

george error.rtf

Hi! How are you?
The bios in my notebook has already been upgraded to A14. Can I send you the EFI folder and some images of the error? Remembering that the error happens when I choose the HD to boot. The system still goes into safe mode, showing the 1536mb of video memory. However, I think karnel Panic is related to something related to the deactivation of the AMD radeon 7730 GPU.

EFI.zip

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi. Excellent post @doixanh. I've followed all your guides for the 7520 and managed to get the previous OSX releases working but I'm having trouble with this one. I've managed to boot the Installer any got the OS installed to hard drive but I can't boot the installed system without using a -X boot flag. Without the flag I get a similar issue to George where the computer restarts during boot. I can't continue as only booting in safe mode won't allow me to mount the EFI partition to install Clover. I have the latest A14 bios installed with virtualization and safe boot disabled. The only difference with my system is I only have the i5 3230M processor. Any help appreciated.

Edited by motoman

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2019 at 3:24 AM, motoman said:

Hi. Excellent post @doixanh. I've followed all your guides for the 7520 and managed to get the previous OSX releases working but I'm having trouble with this one. I've managed to boot the Installer any got the OS installed to hard drive but I can't boot the installed system without using a -X boot flag. Without the flag I get a similar issue to George where the computer restarts during boot. I can't continue as only booting in safe mode won't allow me to mount the EFI partition to install Clover. I have the latest A14 bios installed with virtualization and safe boot disabled. The only difference with my system is I only have the i5 3230M processor. Any help appreciated.

Try booting with: ( this way it will stop right before rebooting giving you a chance to inspect the errorr )

debug=0x100 -v

Should be your AMD graphics card, same problem ocorred here, i managed to boot using this in Clover Options:
Graphics > Inject ATI = Yes

Graphics > ATI FakeID = 0x12345678

On 11/28/2019 at 2:01 PM, Joao Darcy said:

Try booting with: ( this way it will stop right before rebooting giving you a chance to inspect the errorr )

Should be your AMD graphics card, same problem ocorred here, i managed to boot using this in Clover Options:
Graphics > Inject ATI = Yes

Graphics > ATI FakeID = 0x12345678

Thanks for this!  I was also having the reboot loop upon install, until I did this.  Working well now once past that.

in the guide, is kextcache -u a typo?  I've not seen that one.  Usually it's the -i flag, which I'm noticing is right next door.

• 4 months later...

hello i'm from brazil, i can't install macos mojave, catalina, the only one i can install and use is sierra, my dell 7520 is without the battery and i can't update the bios, so boot UEFI doesn't work, how can i install the mojave or catalina without UEFI?