macOS Mojave XPS 13 Guide + Support

tlefko

26 posts in this topic

macOS-Mojave-XPS13-9350

• Hello, this is a simple guide to get OS X 10.14 working on any XPS 13 9350 model

• This guide uses files from (@syscl) (albeit edited) and full credit to him for the Deploy.sh and DSDT patches. However, his Clover folder is unbootable with Mojave and thus has been redone.

• However, his Deploy is still retained but edited to remove some DSDT patches that break things on Mojave

• I did my best to keep the guide simple and for the most part it is, it's inteded for the 6200U non iris but should work with others. (credit @syscl)

Issues

• Wake up via lid is hit or miss (sometimes needs key press)
  • SD Card slot
  • Restarts don't work (endless black screen while turning off but still on)

Usage Notes

• USB Devices eject upon sleep (USB Patches via Deploy were major issue)
  • Changing board number via Clover Config doesn't work always unless serial is changed (No idea..)
  • Audio is controlled via VoodooHDA however prefpane is not nessacary.
  • Never tested USB C anything. Charging should be fine however I'm not sure about others, don't personally use it)

What Works

• Everything else!

Setup Notes

• The new AFPS file system must be used, there is no way to avoid it. Has no noticeable adverse effects except slower boot time
  • It is difficult to repartition AFPS drives and resize them, recommend clean install or you could have one partition smaller than your hard drive that can't be increased unless reformatted
  • Although Volumes will be converted, keep drive as GUID

BIOS Settings

• Set all SATA operation as AHCI
  • Disable Secure Boot, Fast Boot
  • For Coil Whine improvement disable C-States
  • Enable UEFI Booting (Disable Legacy if easily confused)

Recommended: Clean Install (Preinstall steps)

• Download latest Mojave version from Mac App store (Register AppleID as developer, enroll your mac, download the preview from the link onsite or google for detailed instructions.
  • Make Bootable media (google how or download app to do it, it's just a terminal command)
  • Download the Latest Clover revision (currently using r4568) and install it to your USB as UEFI and ESP (no need for drivers)
  • Copy The contents of this Github repository into your EFI folder on the USB (Mount the EFI Partition via clover config, efi mounter, etc.) (No Boot Folder in EFI)
  • If you have the same XPS Model as me you can use stock ACPI patched files (6200u, hd 520, 3200x1800,) if not delete contents of both folders (origin, patched) and will fix later via @syscls modified deploy)

Installing Mojave (Clean Install)

• Boot PC off the USB, select your Installer as your Boot drive from clover menu
  • config is currently set to FAKESERIAL and -v. I believe (@syscl's) deploy generates serial # information
  • Once installer is loaded, go to disk utility and format as a GUID Partition Table with whatever partitions you want (Don't format whole drive to afps make sure it's GUID)
  • Run the Mojave installer to the drive wait for it to finish, then turn off)
  • From Clover, select the name of the Mojave Partition (not preboot, recovery, etc.) and not your USB stick either
  • From here the installation will continue. DO NOT CLICK ON MOUSE OR KEYBOARD (crashes installer shortly after at least for me)

Post Install (Clean Install)

• Reboot off your USB once again, load up your Mojave drive.
  • First Boot will take long, if your using my ACPI files (from @sysl's deploy, edited) and have same model you should have everything out of box (except wifi)
  • Regardless, run through the installer and set it all up.
  • (without acpi) At this point screen should be fine, mouse, keyboard, no wifi should be present or bluetooth. No brightness control as well.
  • go to terminal to mount EFI or via clover Config, EFI Mounter, etc, of both USB and the internal disk
  • Copy and REPLACE the EFI folder from the USB into your hard drive. Unplug your USB and reboot and you should be able to boot without the USB now
  • Turn off PC, boot into clover. Don't select a drive and press F4 and Fn+F4 a few times, wait a few seconds, then boot back to the drive
  • Plug back in the USB, mount it's EFI, and run the modified Deploy Script on your Hard Drive EFI partition
  • After deploy is finished, there will be VoodooI2C error as I deleted it from Kexts, for me it breaks Trackpad and Keyboard. For now will be using VoodooPS2.

After Modded Deploy

• You should have no Internet at this point, the following next steps should resolve that. However, your Brightness, lidsleep, USB, bluetooth should be working
  • Using your favourite Kext Installer (Put it on a USB or something to get it on the PC), install (credit @Rehabman's) FAKEPCIID and FAKEPCIID_Broadcomm texts that are included in the ManualKexts Folder
  • Then run "Sudo kextcache -i /" from terminal, reboot, then run it again.
  • By this point your wifi should be fixed, and everything should be done

Post Install Notes

• Your welcome to transfer whatever other kexts you want to S/L/E, personally I leave them in the CLOVER Folder injected.
  • Doing upgrade via mac app store is similar, just partitioning hard drive is harder. Apart from that same process essentially, not recommended

Credits

• Credit Hackintosher.com for basic patches (although @syscl) covered some
  • Credit to @syscl (clearly...)
  • Credit to @Rehabman
  • Credit to @syscl Kexts, and his contributers. ex. Lidwake.kext (although not fully compatible)

Support

• Your welcome to open any issues on this thread, I personally have little DSDT knowledge so I will do my best to help!

Thanks for Reading!

- This is a clone from my GitHub, the link to the repository is below with all files

https://github.com/tlefko/macOS-Mojave-XPS13-9350

- I would really like to hear everyone's experience trying this guide so please let me know in the comments how it worked for you, if you plan to try it, etc.

Checkout our official site here https://twortech.wixsite.com/pcmac

Edited by tlefko
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hi, a lot of the guide should work, except you would need to patch brightness as well as lid sleep yourself. However, if you follow there rest of the guide most of the other things should work! Let me know if you have any other questions, or if it works. Delete the APCI folder from your CLOVER folder 

Cheers,

Edited by tlefko

• 1 month later...

Hi tlefko,

I followed all steps of the “preinstall steps”. I copied all files of your github folder inside the EFI folder in the EFI partition overwriting everything that was already there, but I get the following message at startup “Attempting system restart...” when start system at verbose mode. I don’t reach the installation screen.

Any idea what is happening?

Thank you.

Regards,

Jose

46F3D788-D929-4D17-A877-A7EF4648039B.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, could you attach your EFI partition?

Also, any idea what the last error message is?

Sorry for the late reply @joseferre

Okay, I figured out the issue. You need to make a new folder called EFI in your EFI partition, then copy the contents of EFI into the new EFI folder.

Edited by tlefko

On 11/22/2018 at 12:59 AM, tlefko said:

@maz-1 That's useful information. My knowledge in patching isn't that great. Any clue how to implement that to the build?

Edit: I made a hotpatch setup based on the-darkvoid's xps 13 9360 guide, no need to dump and patch dsdt, which makes the installation much easier.

https://github.com/hackintosh-stuff/XPS9350-macOS

everything works except:

* card reader. with Sinetek-rtsx and latest openbsd changes, the memory card can be seen by diskutil, but unable to mount.

* type-c hotplug works, but still need to be detached before sleep and wakeup. And according to xps 15 users, thunderbolt hotplug is probably borken as well.

Edited by maz-1

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys I know this post is a tad "old" but I must admit that I need some assistance.
New to this site but I do have experience with desktop hacktintosh before, BUT I have never tried to set up a a laptop before.  The past 2 days i've been trying to get to the installer without any luck on my Dell XPS 9350 i5-6200u with intel-520 and FHD screen.

The BIOS settings of the laptop is: SATA set as ACHI
Fastboot disabled
SecureBoot Disabled
UEFI boot enabled

Also to be noted is that I'm currently using the CLOVER 2.4 r4871 version and the BIOS is updated to 1.9.0.

The attached pictures and EFI folder should be an exact representation of the instructions for this setup, at post#1.

Short after the "Couldn't alloc class "VoodooI2CHIDevice" the installer crashes with the classic "stop sign" thingy.

Any ideers on how to proceed ?
Thanks in advance guys !

EFI.zip

IMG_0287.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I've got the same issue about that "busy timeout: IntelFBClientControl" which won't go away. I've made a dedicated post about that issue here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/337971-xps-9350-mojave-intelfbclientcontrol-timeout-framebuffer

This is really not meant as a bump! I just dont want to type all of this again, since I guess that I already did my best to describe my issue. I hope that's okay! :)

I would love to get my Hackintosh running, any help is appreciated!

Edited by HeadKnockr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi Hackintosh Community! Please advise...

1. My specs:
Dell XPS 13 9350 | i5 6200U | Intel HD 520 Graphics | 3200x1800 Display | 8GB RAM | 256GB Samsung SSD | Dell Bios 1.12.2

2. My Story:

I've been trying to install OSX Mojave 10.14.6 on this machine and am stuck in a weird spot.

I was following this same guide.Created Clover USB using a Virtualbox VM as I don't have access to a real Mac. It booted just fine the first time to the installer, with everything working fine (mouse, keyboard) apart from Wifi which was expected. The UI was scaling well too meaning the graphics were working.

I formatted my drive and the installation began but about 5 mins in, the screen turned black/grey and stayed there. So, I rebooted thinking to start over but now for some reason the installer does not even start. It would neither continue from the SSD using the USB nor through the USB partition itself for the installation to start afresh.  It always reboots saying Attempting System Restart... and then reboots.

Tried multiple guides for Mojave for this XPS but it always does the same reboot.
Thought it was an issue with Mojave, so I made a High Sierra USB and switched to this guide and Clover folder: https://github.com/tlefko/OSX-XPS13-9350

But same reboot loop issue. Some pictures of the verbose output (for High Sierra) are attached at the bottom.

I've tried changing USBs from 3.0 to 2.0, tried multiple guides and Clover folders, but still the same result. This leads me to believe the issue lies somewhere else. I have set the BIOS as advised in the guides btw.

Can you guys debug what the issue can be? It booted fine the first time. What gives? If you need anymore info, I will be happy to help. The Clover folder is the same as in the github account linked above.

20200229_113312.jpg

On 11/5/2018 at 5:56 AM, joseferre said:

Hi tlefko,

I followed all steps of the “preinstall steps”. I copied all files of your github folder inside the EFI folder in the EFI partition overwriting everything that was already there, but I get the following message at startup “Attempting system restart...” when start system at verbose mode. I don’t reach the installation screen.

Any idea what is happening?

Thank you.

Regards,

Jose

46F3D788-D929-4D17-A877-A7EF4648039B.jpeg

Did you solve it? I have the exact same issue and verbose output.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 12:48 PM, saadi93 said:

Hi Hackintosh Community! Please advise...

1. My specs:
Dell XPS 13 9350 | i5 6200U | Intel HD 520 Graphics | 3200x1800 Display | 8GB RAM | 256GB Samsung SSD | Dell Bios 1.12.2

2. My Story:

I've been trying to install OSX Mojave 10.14.6 on this machine and am stuck in a weird spot.

I was following this same guide.Created Clover USB using a Virtualbox VM as I don't have access to a real Mac. It booted just fine the first time to the installer, with everything working fine (mouse, keyboard) apart from Wifi which was expected. The UI was scaling well too meaning the graphics were working.

I formatted my drive and the installation began but about 5 mins in, the screen turned black/grey and stayed there. So, I rebooted thinking to start over but now for some reason the installer does not even start. It would neither continue from the SSD using the USB nor through the USB partition itself for the installation to start afresh.  It always reboots saying Attempting System Restart... and then reboots.

Tried multiple guides for Mojave for this XPS but it always does the same reboot.
Thought it was an issue with Mojave, so I made a High Sierra USB and switched to this guide and Clover folder: https://github.com/tlefko/OSX-XPS13-9350

But same reboot loop issue. Some pictures of the verbose output (for High Sierra) are attached at the bottom.

I've tried changing USBs from 3.0 to 2.0, tried multiple guides and Clover folders, but still the same result. This leads me to believe the issue lies somewhere else. I have set the BIOS as advised in the guides btw.

Can you guys debug what the issue can be? It booted fine the first time. What gives? If you need anymore info, I will be happy to help. The Clover folder is the same as in the github account linked above.

20200229_113312.jpg

Hey @Snakkemand, send me a pm if you're still interested I'll try to help you out, I think it's an outdated driver for the hard drive

On 2/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, saadi93 said:

Did you solve it? I have the exact same issue and verbose output.

Feel free to shoot me a message, like I said I believe it could be an issue with the hard disk driver. I also released an updated guide which may help :)

Hey guys so I've seen there's a lot of issues with these files (mainly as there to specific for certain models, would you be interested if I released a more general one? I'm happy to do it. Currently I'm running Mojave on my model

On 3/21/2020 at 1:08 AM, tlefko said:

Hey @Snakkemand, send me a pm if you're still interested I'll try to help you out, I think it's an outdated driver for the hard drive

Feel free to shoot me a message, like I said I believe it could be an issue with the hard disk driver. I also released an updated guide which may help :)

Hi, thanks for the help. I figured out the issue. The kernal panic was related to the stock DW 1820A wifi card inside. It appeared above as BRCM.NIC in backtrace. I disabled the chip in bios and it booted fine.

13 minutes ago, saadi93 said:

Hi, thanks for the help. I figured out the issue. The kernal panic was related to the stock DW 1820A wifi card inside. It appeared above as BRCM.NIC in backtrace. I disabled the chip in bios and it booted fine.

wow that's a great find, I never would've thought of that as I used the DW1560. That's great work!

12 minutes ago, tlefko said:

wow that's a great find, I never would've thought of that as I used the DW1560. That's great work!

You should add this as a pre-install step in your new guide for any newby, like me, who is too broke to get a DW1560 and instead goes the route of cheap USB Wifi dongle :D.

It would really help. I was stuck with this for weeks without any clue from anywhere (one place which I can't recall but that did not mention this BRCM.NIC kernel panic being caused because of the chip not being disabled).