Is DW1560 BCM94352z ngff not compatible with m.2 ngff slot on a motherboard?

superczar

2 posts in this topic

I ordered a DW1560 BCM94352 card from ebay for my Asus ROG Z370-G gaming motherboard which has two m.2 slots
I am using the first slot for a nvme SSD and intended to use the second slot for this card

When I received the card, it turns out that the notches are physically different from the port (see attached comparison with the m.2 SSD)
m.2comparison.thumb.jpg.0562ff0f2c5892c73f5cea84844b63de.jpg
I contacted the seller who asked me to send a photo of the motherboard slot (attached)

Now the vendor is claiming that I need to contact Asus as the slots are only for SSD and not for Wifi although the motherboard clearly says the m.2 slot should work for PCI-e/SSD/IRST (my assumption being the DW1560 should be a PCI-e device)

m2motherboard.thumb.jpg.46ca7aa08e20e0ea02fd2284c3985def.jpg
I am little surprised as I would have thought that m.2 slots differ in length but the connector side remains 22mm
I guess my question is :

a) Is the vendor trying to take me for a ride or does he have a valid point ? If m.2 wifi cards are indeed not meant to be compatible with regular m.2 slots then the failure is on my part for not having done my research properly .. If however he is making it up then I would rather open a dispute

b) If the vendor is correct then is there any other choice that I have ? WHat kind of card should I order instead?

18 hours ago, Hervé said:

There are several flavours of M.2 slots. Yours is socket 3 (M Key), i.e. made for devices such as NVME SSD disks and it clearly states it supports PCIe x4/IRST devices (not SATA).
M2_socket3.jpg.29e167a75cf1509094eed87cb84efd45.jpg

I've posted a message on this very matter here just a few days ago. DW1560 is a combo card offering ac wireless + Bluetooth 4.0. That's why it's presented in A+E M.2 format (PCIe x2 + USB) and it can only fit in a socket 1 (E key) slot.

So, no, the vendor is not taking you for a ride; you probably did not know there were different types of M.2 slots so the failings are indeed clearly on your side... You'd probably learn a thing or two by reading this short document or this one. Dozens of other documents if you Google a little on the matter.

Thanks - No point in raising a dispute then..

Should have done my research better

Unfortunately my options now seem to be limited to 

a) Buying a m.2 A/E mini PCIE adapter + a PCIe- mini PCIe adapter

b) Buying a PCIe adapter + a new card

Makes me long for the simpler days of uniform connectors :)