[Asus G73sw] Can't reach installer. Reboots after 3/4 loading the apple bar

FCU4ever

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm trying to install Mac OSX High Sierra on my Asus G73sw laptop. Previous versions of Mac OSX worked (like El Capitain, Yosemite & Mavericks).

But with this version of OSX (10.13.6) I can't even reach te installer. After 75 percent of loading the Apple bar the laptop reboots (see attached movie).

My specs are:

- Mobo: Asus 73w rev 2.0

- CPU: I7-2630QM / Intel® HM65 Express Chipset

- Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM

- SSD + HDD

BIOS settings:

- UEFI Boot --> Enable

- Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technologie --> Disabled

First I created a bootable USB using this guide: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/329828-making-a-bootable-high-sierra-usb-installer-entirely-from-scratch-in-windows-or-linux-mint-without-access-to-mac-or-app-store-installerapp/

Then I copied AptioMemoryFix.efi & HFSPlus.efi to drivers64UEFI folder and FakeSMC.kext, USBInjectAll.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext to kext folder.

For the config.plist I used the one from this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-asus-rog-g73jh-using-clover-uefi.242770/

Changed some values with CloverConfigurator. I add Inject Nvidia, Load Vbios and enable NvidiaWebdrivers and removed all the ATI stuff.

Now it's time to boot the Clover bootloader and install High Sierra...... No luck, after loading 75 percent of the Apple bar the laptop reboots.

Can someone help me? Config.plist in attached files

config.plist

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Why didn't you re-use your existing working Clover config, updating it as/if necessary?

Because that config.plist won't even start. Get directly kernel panic...

Try the attached revised Clover config where CPU Power Management, SMBIOS and APCI table settings were changed.

config.plist.zip

Many thanks for the edited config.plist. The installer won't reboot anymore but stucks after NVDAStartup: Official.

If you are interested I also uploaded the config.plist I used in El Capitain.

IMG_2299.JPG

config_EL_Capitan.plist

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

Did you inject nVidia parameters in DSDT? No way of knowing, you've not attached anything but your Clover config file...

No. I haven't patched my DSDT for High Sierra. For El Capitan I have patched my DSDT file. Can I use that one for High Sierra? In the attechment you'll find the patched DSDT I've used in El Capitan.

DSDT.aml

SSDT.aml

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

Well if you used a patched DSDT before, I really don't see why you thought you could do without later...

Because I used the patched dsdt only after installation. I could install OSX without. I’ll try to reach the Installer with the dsdt patches

6 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Try and uncheck/deselect:

• Boot tab: npci=0x2000
  • ACPI tab: Drop OEM (SSDT)

You obviously cannot have nVidia Web drivers installed on your USB installer. You could also try and remove Load VBIOS parameter.

Thanks. I’ll try this after work.

maybe I can also try to deselct the inject nVidia and VBios and check the inject Intel and add bootflag nv_disable=1

First I tried to boot with:

- UNCHECK -> npci=0x2000

- UNCHECK -> ACPI Tab: Drop OEM (SSDT)

No luck

Second I tried to boot with:

- UNCHECK -> npci=0x2000

- UNCHECK -> ACPI Tab: Drop OEM (SSDT)

- UNCHECK -> Load VBios

No luck

Third I tried to boot with:

- NV_disables=1

- UNCHECK -> inject nVidia

- UNCHECK -> Load VBios

- Check -> Inject Intel

Also no luck.

Then I dowloaded a pre-configured config.plist for intel HD3000. I edited some parameters and tried to boot the installer. The good news is that I pass the NVDAStartup but now I'm stuck a few lines later..... See attachment for my new config.plist

config.plist

IMG_2301.JPG

44 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Try this Clover config file. If you have a HiRes LCD (1600x900 or above), enable DualLink in the Graphics section (use Clover Configurator app).

config.plist.zip

My LCD is 1600x900 so I enabled DualLink. Copied the new config.plist to my USB and booted the installer. Still stuck at the same place but this time without the ACPI: Dynamic OEM table Load lines (see attached picture)

46 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Could you also press F4 when you're at Clover's main menu (where you see the disk partitions) to retrieve all raw ACPI tables from BIOS? You'll then find them in ACPI/origin folder. Compress the folder and post it.

Done that. See attachment

origin.zip

IMG_2304.JPG

8 hours ago, Hervé said:

Try this one where I've enabled "Drop OEM".

config.plist.zip

Thanks for the new config.plist. With this config.plist I get directly "Error loading kernel cache (oxc)"

8 hours ago, Hervé said:

But I'm surprised you last screenshot showed Nvidia graphics; it should be disabled. Are you placing the config file in the right place? In the EFI partition?

I'm surprised too. The config.plist is in the right directory and in the clover bootloader it's looks good and Nvidia should be disabled.

IMG_2308.JPG

Knipsel.PNG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

YES!!! I've reached the installer.

So what have I done to fix te issue's???? I had to change the SMBios to iMac 13,2 instead of Macbook Pro 8,1 (just like in El Capitan).

I also needed HFSPlus-64.efi (off course to see the partitions) and OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. About the kexts I needed USBInjectAll.kext, FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

So lets try to install High Sierra.

So I finally installed Mac OS High Sierra on my Asus G73sw laptop.

After first boot I installed Clover to the HD. Copied APFS.efi and OsxAptioFixDrv.efi to drivers64UEFI and config.plist to the EFI folder.

Then I installed the following kext:

FakeSMC.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext

ACPIBatteryManager.kext

AsusNBFnKeys.kext

After installing the kexts I rebooted the laptop. The Clover bootloader loads fine and I was able to boot High Sierra. So what’s working for now?

-       Battery percentages

-       Asus FN keys

-       USB 2.0

And what’s not working:

-       Nvidia GTX460m

-       Audio ALC269 G73

-       Wifi

-       Backlight keyboard

Not tested:

-       Bluetooth

-       LAN (is broken so can’t test)

Then I thought maybe I can re-use the patched dsdt I used in El Capitan. So I copied the DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml to ACPI/patched. Then rebooted the laptop and see what’s working:

-       Asus FN keys

-       USB 2.0

-       WIFI

-       Battery percentages (sometimes yes and sometimes no)

Not working:

-       Nvidia GTX460m

-       Audio ALC269 G73

-       Backlight keyboard

My first priority is to get my graphics card working. First I edited the config.plist (uncheck nv_disable=1, uncheck Inject Intel and check Inject NvidiaWeb) and copied to my EFI partition. Then I copied EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to drivers64UEFI and Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to kext folder. Then I installed nVidia Webdrivers for 10.13.6 and rebooted the laptop. High Sierra boots with the right resolution but once I come to the log in screen I type my password and hit enter and then…….. stuck. The only way to reach High Sierra is with the nv_disable=1 bootflag.

How to get my GraphicsCard working? Can someone check my patched DSDT or can someone create a new patched DSDT from my origin folder (See attached ACPI.zip)?

The guy from this thread https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/322566-asus-g73sw-macos-sierra-10124/ has the same laptop and used this DSDT (see attached DSDT.dsl). How can I use this DSDT to check if this fix my problems?

ACPI.zip

DSDT.dsl

config.plist