Missing Operating system on Macbook pro

tamim013

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I brought a new HDD for my Macbook Pro . and connected to the system . it started showing me a flashing folder with question mark error.

Then I figured out that the HDD is not being detected. I Connected it to a windows machine and converted it to GPT format and set the partition active in the command prompt.

Again I connected it to my laptop and now HDD was detected. but it says "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM"

I tried all the combination keys like Cmd+R, Cmd+Option+R etc but nothing works.

I am able to get the drive option when I press option at the start and when I select it, again the same msg in the black screen   "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM"

I am not able to get the Internet recovery or the Globe for internet download.

Old HDD has been formatted and no files .. :-(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamim013 said:

Hi,

I brought a new HDD for my Macbook Pro . and connected to the system . it started showing me a flashing folder with question mark error.

Then I figured out that the HDD is not being detected. I Connected it to a windows machine and converted it to GPT format and set the partition active in the command prompt.

Again I connected it to my laptop and now HDD was detected. but it says "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM"

I tried all the combination keys like Cmd+R, Cmd+Option+R etc but nothing works.

I am able to get the drive option when I press option at the start and when I select it, again the same msg in the black screen   "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM"

I am not able to get the Internet recovery or the Globe for internet download.

Old HDD has been formatted and no files .. :-(

Hi @tamim013 Welcome to InsanelyMac.com :)

The flashing folder with a question mark indicates that there is no operating system installed or detected by your MacBook Pro not that the HDD is not detected by macOS although that might be the case if the HDD itself is not recognized by the logic board.

When you replace the hard disk you need to transfer the previously installed macOS either from a TimeMachine back up or other softwares such as Carbon Copy Cloner and such.

If you have access to a working Mac or a hack with macOS installed, all you need to do is to download the macOS installer from AppStore and create the USB install disk using the createinstallmedia method and boot the MacBook from the USB by holding down the option (alt) key while you power up the MacBook and then boot into the installer and erase the HDD and install macOS.

The correct HDD forma must be MacOS Extended Journaled with GUID partition scheme.

here is the article on how to create the USB disk for all the different versions of macOS.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

• Like 1