Screen freezing (HD 530 issue?)

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My computer freezes repeatedly using macOS 10.13.6. Most likely it did the same using 10.13.5 (maybe earlier versions too), but it's more frequent under 10.13.6. The issue seems to be related to the Intel HD 530 iGPU. I've not been able to re-produce the issue when I VNC to the machine with the monitor disconnected. Same thing with HW acceleration is disabled - then it works fine (except crappy graphics, of course).

To re-produce:
1. restart the computer and log in
2. the system will start lots of background processes (e.g. malware scan, Spotlight indexing, iCloud stuff etc.), so the CPU is under some load
3. open a couple of Finder windows and scroll up and down and change windows repeatedly for some time
4. eventually it will beach ball for a few seconds (but cursor still moves)
5. everything freezes

When the CPU is idle it's much harder to reproduce the issue, but it can still happen, e.g. when using Safari. If I don't touch anything when the CPU is under heavy load, the computer will continue to work fine. So it's not the CPU load itself that's causing it to freeze. But if I open/close windows/scroll ect., it will eventually crash.

I've reverted to older versions of Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup/WhateverGreen. Also tried the patches in this thread (post #11 and #12): https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325352-intel-hd-630-acceleration/ Tried different system definitions (iMac14,1, 14,2 and 17,1). Also tried to boot from another SSD with a clean OS install - same issue. And The systen.log doesn't show anything strange, AFAIK.

Any advice on what to try next?

My setup:

Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI 
Intel Core i3-6100 @ 3.70 GHz

SMBIOS: iMac17,1
macOS 10.13.6 (17G65)
Clover 4617

Kexts in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13/:
FakeSMC 6.26-344-g1cf53906.1787
FakePCIID 1.3.9
IntelMausiEthernet 2.3.0
NullCPUPowerManagement 1.0.0d2
USBInjectAll 0.5.17

Kexts in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/:
Lilu 1.2.5
WhateverGreen 1.2.0
IntelGraphicsFixup 1.2.7 (now disabled with -igfxoff, instead using WhateverGreen)

Kexts in /Library/Extensions/:
FakeSMC 6.26-344-g1cf53906.1787
FakePCIID 1.3.9
IntelMausiEthernet 2.3.0
USBInjectAll 0.5.17

10 minutes ago, blindowl said:

Kexts in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13/:

Kexts in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/:

Kexts in /Library/Extensions/:

Why you don't put the right kexts in just one place? :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Allan said:

Why you don't put the right kexts in just one place? :wacko:

That's just where they have ended up... I had huge problems booting with Lilu 1.2.5 and IntelGraphicsFixup/WhateverGreen, so I've been rebooting, copying, deleting endlessly... When I finally got it to work again, I just left the files where the were...