Display resolution issues -- macOS High Sierra

5 posts in this topic

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise OS, 64-bit as my Host OS - PC has an Intel Core i7 CPU, 32 GBs of RAM. Under that, I am running latest VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.2 with latest Mac Unlocker.

Older VMs of mine - I have several - run fine. But this one with macOS High Sierra on it cannot use my screen in full, so using the VM is hard.

My screen is 1440p resolution (2560x1440) - a 27" Lenovo - and the VM shows as using resolution of 1278 x 599 (with HiDPI, which was not present in older macOS High Sierra 10.13 versions but is present for a while now).

Trying to switch to the full resolution switches for a split-second, then goes back to 1278 x 599 (HiDPI).

Exact macOS Sierra version is latest 10.13.6 (was on ..13.5 until a few days ago).

As a 2nd issue related to the above, Firefox browser is now unusable in this VM. Firefox renders all web pages with a very enlarged (zoomed in) view, so nothing can be browsed as main GUI parts of every webpage are off-screen, with no apparent way to scroll to them.

Even the About Firefox screen does not work, version is off the About window. Version of Firefox is also latest.

Any ideas on workarounds for issue #1 and/or #2? Thanks for any replies in advance! :)

Edited by Naki
Add more info.

I am not sure the view counts are working correctly. I ahve checked this topic a few times and the count does not increment.

As to the problem, you could try this Preference Pane

https://github.com/MarLoe/VMware.PreferencePane

Install it into the guest and see if it works. I think it drives the vmware-resolution utility which is part of the VMware tools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, this helps! Finally had some time to try this. 

What I found though is that VMware Workstation now (?? unsure when this was added) also needs an uncheck of a new Display option for any resolution changing to work at all.
Please see screenshot, attached - I had to uncheck this (was checked) for it to work.

Screenshot 2018-08-06 17.27.24.png

EDIT #2: A nice touch here is this tool you gave allows setting of any Mac VM resolution size, even arbitrary non-standard ones. :)
Also, on switching to another running/active VM, then back VMware adjusted my macOS Mojave Beta VM display to be a perfect fit :) (no small black borders I had with manually setting the display size myself).

EDIT: It seems this same setting could maybe be the reason for my Windows 7 (one x86/32-bit, one x64) VMs mysteriously reverting to Normal fonts all the time! :)
I will check this now. My 2 Windows 7 VMs kept (keep) wanting to log off to revert to Normal font size after I set a Larger font/DPI. 

And I want them to be not 100% fonts (Normal) but higher as my screen is 1440p, thus 100% fonts in VMs make any text too tiny for me to read easily. :)

Edited by Naki
Edit for clarity & details.