osx wont boot.. keeps telling me to reboot..

squint

12 posts in this topic

ok .. I would be greatful if someone has some insight as to what is going on here..

I have tried everything so far.. I read through the forums.. wiki.. everything i could find..

I have already tried all of the platform options as well..

What happens is when i boot normaly it just shows me the screen that says i need to reboot..

When i try booting with -x ( safe mode ) i get a blue screen with a mouse cursor and nothing happens.. I have let it sit there for hours.. nothing..

i can boot into single user mode ( command line ) .. that seems to work fine, so i can tinker with things if i need to..

Here is a screenshot of the error when i do ( -v -debug=0x144 )

osx.jpg

Thank you very much..

What happens is when i boot normaly it just shows me the screen that says i need to reboot..

When i try booting with -x ( safe mode ) i get a blue screen with a mouse cursor and nothing happens.. I have let it sit there for hours.. nothing..

i can boot into single user mode ( command line ) .. that seems to work fine, so i can tinker with things if i need to..

Here is a screenshot of the error when i do ( -v -debug=0x144 )

Ok. What are your system specs? Best would be to put them in your signature for future postings.

Are you using deadmoo's image or trying to install straight from dev DVd?

Ok. What are your system specs? Best would be to put them in your signature for future postings.

Are you using deadmoo's image or trying to install straight from dev DVd?

Ah.. ok .. I have added my info in my sig..

and I installed from a DVD install cd.

Tiger_for_x86pc_(by_Viper).iso

Hope that helps.. :)

You need to delete all ATI kexts from the extensions folder. Try booting into single user mode and deleting the ATI kexts from the /System/Library/Extensions folder. The command should be something like rm -f ATI* if I remember correctly... sorry, I'm a bit rusty on my *nix commands.

Your system is crashing because you're trying to run the Radeon 9700 kexts since you specifically have a 9700.

I don't directly see anything else except MAYBE the airport driver that could be causing an issue. And since the kernel panic specifically lists the Radeon 9700 kext... I'd say that's your issue right there. :(

You need to delete all ATI kexts from the extensions folder. Try booting into single user mode and deleting the ATI kexts from the /System/Library/Extensions folder. The command should be something like rm -f ATI* if I remember correctly... sorry, I'm a bit rusty on my *nix commands.

Your system is crashing because you're trying to run the Radeon 9700 kexts since you specifically have a 9700.

I don't directly see anything else except MAYBE the airport driver that could be causing an issue. And since the kernel panic specifically lists the Radeon 9700 kext... I'd say that's your issue right there. ;)

Ok .. so i removed those Extensions... It makes it past that point now..

Its not asking me to reboot anymore.. but now i just get a blue screen with the apple progress bar.. but the bar does not move.. and nothing happens.. There is no panic.. so i cant get anymore information :unsure: ???

safe mode does the same.. just a blue screen with the mouse cursor.. There is no HDD activity.. nothing.

I disabled my wireless card too just encase.

Thanks.

Sorry, was a bit tipsy last night. You need to boot with -s and then rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then reboot with -v -f to force it to go and make a new extension cache... should work. If not, since you're booting with -v, post the panic or the point that it locks up here.

Sorry, was a bit tipsy last night. You need to boot with -s and then rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then reboot with -v -f to force it to go and make a new extension cache... should work. If not, since you're booting with -v, post the panic or the point that it locks up here.

Well its not working still.. I did everything above.. :(

Here is a shot of what its doing now..

debugMSG.jpg

I tried with platform=X86PC.. however this does not work either.. it cant find the root device.. :(

Any idea?..

Try going in to your BIOS and turning ACPI on, if that's an option. Some systems won't boot with platform=X86PC - mine is one of them.

I would say you could *try* deleting the AppleACPI kext and deleting the kextcaches and booting with -v -f again but I don't know how that's going to work with stability.

Tell me, do you have a program like MacDrive? I'd move the file off the partition with MacDrive and then try it... if it works, great, if not, just move it back.

But I got an error like that until I enabled ACPI in the BIOS.

A lot of people seem to have mad issues with VIA chipsets... See if there is a way you can get in to the BIOS and tweak with things dealing with power management. Though I would find it hard to believe that ACPI isn't enabled by default on a laptop.

You could also try disabling ACPI in the BIOS, if it IS enabled, and then try booting with platform=X86PC again.

One other thing - I've never played with platform=ADP2,1 but you can try that one too. I've seen people on here use it before.

ok well.. Deleting the AppleACPI Extentions was a bad idea.. Now it cant find the root device no matter what..

I have no ACPI settings in the BIOS.. but Im sure its enabled.

ADP2,1 never made any difference..

I just downloaded the deadmoo image.. can i just use dd and write this to my drive even though its much larger than the image size?..

i need to re-install i think anyways.

That's why I said to use MacDrive to move the kext... I didn't know what it would do to the system.

Now, as far as the deadmoo image, you'll probably have the exact same problem.

And the settings will definitely be there - you have to go in under power management... I've never heard of a modern computer that DIDN'T have those options in the BIOS. If you turn on power management, you turn on ACPI.

I'm confused as to what to do - I've never even heard of that error before.

Hmm. Well anyone else have any ideas.. I have no Power Managment settings in my BIOS.. although, I am quite sure its enabled..

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Thanks..

I have a Ferrari 3400. I don't think the basic hardware is THAT much different. Renaming (not removing, just in case!) the ATIRadeon extensions and rebuilding the extension cache worked for me. Didn't need platform=osx86 or anything, it just booted straight off the bat. I think you've cocked something else up on your disk while en route.