How to UPclock RX580/RX480 for smooth UI (in 5k)+ clock monitoring

bvh

6 posts in this topic

Hello!

History:

I've been using my hack for a long time. It's all right, everything works fine. Use with a 5k monitor.

Last week I went to the Mac store to buy an imac for my friend. We chose imac 5k 2017 i5 with Radeon pro 560.

So, we bought it, came home, installed it and ... I'll see that the user interface just flies! Safari, the launchpad, size of the windows in safari change without lags and without any glitches. Everything flies on high FPS.

My hack not lagging, scores of benchmarks are absolutely normal for my setup. But UI not so smooth as I see on original imac

I go home and try this:
Flash my rx580 with PBE to set the default clock, for example, 1000 MHz, but it just does not matter at all in the macos
Enable and disable AGPM, trying to change the values in SSDT, which change in IOREG, but nothing in the user interface
PowerPlay values - nothing

Can I see my GPU clock in real time in macos ???

And can we choose higher clock frequencies and power states of the Radeon graphics processor?

Thanks

1 minute ago, RandomTech said:

User interface has nothing to do with overclocking, the user interface (I assume you mean the Animations) depends on how good the GPU is working

Tomorrow i will make video about it. Yes, animations, heavy loaded windows 

4 minutes ago, RandomTech said:

User interface has nothing to do with overclocking, the user interface (I assume you mean the Animations) depends on how good the GPU is working

How smooth is working your VEGA64?

1 hour ago, bvh said:

Tomorrow i will make video about it. Yes, animations, heavy loaded windows 

How smooth is working your VEGA64?

Vega64 is very smooth even when I tried with x3 4K Monitors from LG, the most powerful GPU for macOS right now but still if doesn't work right it'll not be smooth.

My second Hackintosh with HD 7970 user interface is also very smooth, so your RX 580 should be very good at that.

I'm suspecting a problem with your system and graphics card.

10 hours ago, bvh said:
So, we bought it, came home, installed it and ... I'll see that the user interface just flies! Safari, the launchpad, size of the windows in safari change without lags and without any glitches. Everything flies on high FPS.

Honestly I've noticed these discrepancies for years. With even midgrade Macbooks feeling like they have more fluid user performance in many respects than cutting edge high-end Hackintosh rigs punching at least 3-5X above them in raw quantitative power.

It's very subtle of course—not something readily noticeable unless paying close attention to realtime contrasts. And likewise doesn't reveal itself in synthetic benchmarks (e.g. Geekbench). But it's hard to unsee once you've noticed.

May have something to do with SMC functionality being largely absent (there are ~100s of additional keys not emulated by FakeSMC, including a number pertaining to GPU operation). An untold number of low-level timers & interrupts may be implicated as well in giving rise to awkward latencies. Deeper underlying functionality that's not well-understood nor documented, such that cost-benefits of more thorough investigation are difficult to justify.

Probably inevitable to the nature of hacks.

Edited by zxv